Special Issue Reviews–A Peer Reviewed Forum
Balancing the bipotential gonad between alternative organ fates: A new perspective on an old problem
Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Mouse Development Special Issue
Volume 235, Issue 9, pages 2292–2300, September 2006
How to Cite
Kim, Y. and Capel, B. (2006), Balancing the bipotential gonad between alternative organ fates: A new perspective on an old problem. Dev. Dyn., 235: 2292–2300. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20894
- Issue online: 9 AUG 2006
- Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 JUN 2006
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: HD39963, HL63054
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: 0317234
- 2002. Sexually dimorphic development of mouse primordial germ cells: switching from oogenesis to spermatogenesis. Development 129: 1155–1164. , .
- 2002. Sex-specific deployment of Fgf signaling in Drosophila recruits mesodermal cells into the male genital imaginal disc. Cell 109: 651–661. , .
- 2004. Interactions between Sox9 and beta-catenin control chondrocyte differentiation. Genes Dev 18: 1072–1087. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Evidence that Sry is expressed in pre-Sertoli cells and Sertoli and granulosa cells have a common precursor. Dev Biol 240: 92–107. , .
- 2005. Foxl2 gene and the development of the ovary: a story about goat, mouse, fish and woman. Reprod Nutr Dev 45: 377–382. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Homozygous inactivation of Sox9 causes complete XY sex reversal in mice. Biol Reprod 74: 195–201. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Genetic evidence equating SRY and the testis-determining factor. Nature 348: 448–450. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Expression profiling of purified mouse gonadal somatic cells during the critical time window of sex determination reveals novel candidate genes for human sexual dysgenesis syndromes. Hum Mol Genet 15: 417–431. , .
- 2000. The LIM homeobox gene Lhx9 is essential for mouse gonad formation. Nature 403: 909–913. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. A transgenic insertion upstream of Sox9 is associated with dominant XX sex reversal in the mouse. Nat Genet 26: 490–494. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Using real time RT-PCR analysis to determine multiple gene expression patterns during XX and XY mouse fetal gonad development. Gene Expr Patterns 5: 141–149. , , , , .
- 2005. Gonadal sex reversal in mutant Dax1 XY mice: a failure to upregulate Sox9 in pre-Sertoli cells. Development 132: 3045–3054. , , , , , .
- 2006. Retinoid signaling determines germ cell fate in mice. Science 312: 596–600. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. One tissue, two fates: molecular genetic events that underlie testis versus ovary development. Nat Rev Genet 5: 509–521. , .
- 2003. Pdgfr-alpha mediates testis cord organization and fetal Leydig cell development in the XY gonad. Genes Dev 17: 800–810. , , .
- 2003. Regulation of the phenotype of ovarian somatic cells by estrogen. Mol Cell Endocrinol 202: 11–17. , .
- 2001. Spatially dynamic expression of Sry in mouse genital ridges. Dev Dyn 221: 201–205. , .
- 2005. Delayed Sry and Sox9 expression in developing mouse gonads underlies B6-Y(DOM) sex reversal. Dev Biol 278: 473–481. , .
- 2004. Functional analysis of Sox8 and Sox9 during sex determination in the mouse. Development 131: 1891–1901. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Sex comes in from the cold: the integration of sex and pattern. Trends Genet 18: 510–516. , , , .
- 2002. Wnt regulation of chondrocyte differentiation. J Cell Sci 115: 4809–4818. , , , , .
- 2001. Male-to-female sex reversal in mice lacking Fibroblast growth factor 9. Cell 104: 875–889. , , , , .
- 1999. Postnatal sex reversal of the ovaries in mice lacking estrogen receptors alpha and beta. Science 286: 2328–2331. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in mesenchymal progenitors controls osteoblast and chondrocyte differentiation during vertebrate skeletogenesis. Dev Cell 8: 739–750. , , , .
- 2001. Regulatory mechanisms in the pathways of cartilage and bone formation. Curr Opin Cell Biol 13: 721–727. , , .
- 1994. Sertoli cells in testes containing or lacking germ cells: a comparative study of paracrine effects using the W (c-kit) gene mutant mouse model. Anat Rec 240: 225–232. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Expression and subcellular localization of SF-1, SOX9, WT1, and AMH proteins during early human testicular development. Dev Dyn 217: 293–298. , , , .
- 2006. FGF9 promotes survival of germ cells in the fetal testis. Development 133: 1519–1527. , , .
- 1986. Genetic control of primary sex determination in mice. Annu Rev Genet 20: 327–360. , .
- 2002. The Wnt antagonist Frzb-1 regulates chondrocyte maturation and long bone development during limb skeletogenesis. Dev Biol 251: 142–156. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Evolution of the testis-determining gene: the rise and fall of SRY. Novartis Found Symp 244: 86–97; discussion 97–101, 203–106, 253–107. .
- 1992. Inverted repeat structure of the Sry locus in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 7953–7957. , , , , , .
- 2001. Origin, differentiation and regulation of fetal and adult Leydig cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol 179: 47–74. , , .
- 1995. Expression of Sry, the mouse sex determining gene. Development 121: 1603–1614. , , , .
- 1999. Expression of Steroidogenic factor 1 and Wilms' tumour 1 during early human gonadal development and sex determination. Mech Dev 87: 175–180. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Dual roles of Wnt signaling during chondrogenesis in the chicken limb. Development 127: 3141–3159. , .
- 1990. Germ cell deficiency causes testis cord differentiation in reconstituted mouse fetal ovaries. J Exp Zool 253: 61–70. , , , , .
- 2005. Canonical Wnt/beta-catenin signaling prevents osteoblasts from differentiating into chondrocytes. Dev Cell 8: 727–738. , , , , .
- 1998. Sertoli cell differentiation and Y-chromosome activity: a developmental study of X-linked transgene activity in sex-reversed X/XSxra mouse embryos. Dev Biol 199: 235–244. , , , , .
- 2003. Endothelial and steroidogenic cell migration are regulated by WNT4 in the developing mammalian gonad. Development 130: 3663–3670. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Wnt4 is required for proper male as well as female sexual development. Dev Biol 276: 431–440. , , .
- 1981. Early stages of testicular differentiation in the rat. Hum Genet 58: 59–63. , , .
- 2001. The Drosophila sex determination hierarchy modulates wingless and decapentaplegic signaling to deploy dachshund sex-specifically in the genital imaginal disc. Development 128: 1643–1656. , .
- 1996. A male-specific role for SOX9 in vertebrate sex determination. Development 122: 2813–2822. , , , , .
- 2006. Fgf9 and Wnt4 act as antagonistic signals to regulate mammalian sex determination. PLoS Biol 4: 1000–1009. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Sry and Sox9: mammalian testis-determining genes. Cell Mol Life Sci 55: 839–856. .
- 1991. Male development of chromosomally female mice transgenic for Sry. Nature 351: 117–121. , , , , .
- 2001. Regulation of male sexual development by Sry and Sox9. J Exp Zool 290: 463–474. , , .
- 2006. Retinoic acid regulates sex-specific timing of meiotic initiation in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 2474–2479. , , , , , .
- 2003. Etiology of ovarian failure in blepharophimosis ptosis epicanthus inversus syndrome: FOXL2 is a conserved, early-acting gene in vertebrate ovarian development. Endocrinology 144: 3237–3243. , , .
- 1990. XY female mice resulting from a heritable mutation in the primary testis-determining gene, Tdy. Development 109: 635–646. , .
- 2002. Sex-determining genes in mice: building pathways. Novartis Found Symp 244: 4–18; discussion 18–22, 35–42, 253–257. , , .
- 2004. Wnt-4 activates the canonical beta-catenin-mediated Wnt pathway and binds Frizzled-6 CRD: functional implications of Wnt/beta-catenin activity in kidney epithelial cells. Exp Cell Res 298: 369–387. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Prostaglandin D2 induces nuclear import of the sex-determining factor SOX9 via its cAMP-PKA phosphorylation. Embo J 24: 1798–1809. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Sox2 induction by FGF and FGFR2 activating mutations inhibits Wnt signaling and osteoblast differentiation. J Cell Biol 168: 1065–1076. , , , , .
- 2002. Lhx9 expression during gonadal morphogenesis as related to the state of cell differentiation. Gene Expr Patterns 2: 373–377. , , , , .
- 1993. A regulatory cascade hypothesis for mammalian sex determination: SRY represses a negative regulator of male development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 3368–3372. , , , , .
- 2006. Endocrine disrupters and female reproductive health. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 20: 63–75. , , .
- 1991. Development of the mammalian gonad: the fate of the supporting cell lineage. Bioessays 13: 151–156. .
- 2000. Germ and somatic cell lineages in the developing gonad. Mol Cell Endocrinol 163: 3–9. .
- 2003. Dax1 is required for testis determination. Nat Genet 34: 32–33. , , .
- 1975. Rat gonadal and ovarian organogenesis with and without germ cells. An ultrastructural study. Dev Biol 44: 1–21. .
- 1981. Morphogenesis of the ovary from the sterile W/Wv mouse. Prog Clin Biol Res 59B: 383–392. , .
- 2005. Altered neonatal development and endocrine function in Alligator mississippiensis associated with a contaminated environment. Biol Reprod 73: 1004–1010. , , , ,
- 1996. Sox9 expression during gonadal development implies a conserved role for the gene in testis differentiation in mammals and birds. Nat Genet 14: 62–68. , , , , , .
- 2002. Vertebrate sex determination: many means to an end. Reproduction 124: 447–457. , .
- 2003. Testis determination requires insulin receptor family function in mice. Nature 426: 291–295. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Gene expression during sex determination reveals a robust female genetic program at the onset of ovarian development. Dev Biol 287: 361–377. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Wnt4 expression in the differentiating gonad of the frog Rana rugosa. Zool Sci 22: 689–693. , , , .
- 2005. Foxl2 is required for commitment to ovary differentiation. Hum Mol Genet 14: 2053–2062. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. A 11.7-kb deletion triggers intersexuality and polledness in goats. Nat Genet 29: 453–458. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Ontogenesis of female-to-male sex-reversal in XX polled goats. Dev Dyn 224: 39–50. , , , , , , .
- 1991. In situ analysis of fetal, prepuberal and adult XX&harrj;XY chimaeric mouse testes: Sertoli cells are predominantly, but not exclusively, XY. Development 112: 265–268. , .
- 2005. Minireview: transcriptional regulation of gonadal development and differentiation. Endocrinology 146: 1035–1042. , .
- 1998. Receptors for anti-mullerian hormone on Leydig cells are responsible for its effects on steroidogenesis and cell differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 594–599. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The ends of a continuum: genetic and temperature-dependent sex determination in reptiles. Bioessays 26: 639–645. , , .
- 2003. Cell proliferation is necessary for the determination of male fate in the gonad. Dev Biol 258: 264–276. , .
- 2004. Fgf9 induces proliferation and nuclear localization of FGFR2 in Sertoli precursors during male sex determination. Development 131: 3627–3636. , , , , .
- 2004. SOX9 is up-regulated by the transient expression of SRY specifically in Sertoli cell precursors. Dev Biol 274: 271–279. , , , , .
- 1997. The Wilms' tumor gene WT1 can regulate genes involved in sex determination and differentiation: SRY, Mullerian-inhibiting substance, and the androgen receptor. Clin Cancer Res 3: 2571–2580. , , , , .
- 1994. Epithelial transformation of metanephric mesenchyme in the developing kidney regulated by Wnt-4. Nature 372: 679–683. , , , .
- 1999. Mammalian sex determination: a molecular drama. Genes Dev 13: 755–767. , .
- 1998. Dax1 antagonizes Sry action in mammalian sex determination. Nature 391: 761–767. , , , , .
- 1993. Mullerian inhibiting substance production associated with loss of oocytes and testicular differentiation in the transplanted mouse XX gonadal primordium. Biol Reprod 49: 13–23. , , , , .
- 2005. Expression of SRY proteins in both normal and sex-reversed XY fetal mouse gonads. Dev Dyn 233: 612–622. , , , , , .
- 1999. Mesonephric cell migration induces testis cord formation and Sertoli cell differentiation in the mammalian gonad. Development 126: 2883–2890. , .
- 1999. Female development in mammals is regulated by Wnt-4 signalling. Nature 397: 405–409. , , , , .
- 2001. Sox9 induces testis development in XX transgenic mice. Nat Genet 28: 216–217. , , , .
- 2001. Doublesex surprises. Cell 106: 399–402. , , .
- 2003. When Wnts antagonize Wnts. J Cell Biol 162: 753–755. , .
- 2005. Sertoli cell differentiation is induced both cell-autonomously and through prostaglandin signaling during mammalian sex determination. Dev Biol 287: 111–124. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Molecular cloning and expression in gonad of Rana rugosaWT1 and Fgf9. Zool Sci 22: 1045–1050. , , , , , .
- 2003. Wnt5a and Wnt5b exhibit distinct activities in coordinating chondrocyte proliferation and differentiation. Development 130: 1003–1015. , , , .
- 2002. Desert Hedgehog/Patched 1 signaling specifies fetal Leydig cell fate in testis organogenesis. Genes Dev 16: 1433–1440. , , .
- 2003. Meiotic germ cells antagonize mesonephric cell migration and testis cord formation in mouse gonads. Development 130: 5895–5902. , , .
- 2004. Follistatin operates downstream of Wnt4 in mammalian ovary organogenesis. Dev Dyn 230: 210–215. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Role of Ahch in gonadal development and gametogenesis. Nat Genet 20: 353–357. , , , , .
- 1995. Xp duplications and sex reversal. Phil Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 350: 291–296. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Establishing sexual dimorphism: conservation amidst diversity? Nat Rev Genet 2: 175–185. .
- 1999. Regulation of Wnt signaling by Sox proteins: XSox17 alpha/beta and XSox3 physically interact with beta-catenin. Mol Cell 4: 487–498. , , , , , .