Changes in gravitational force cause changes in gene expression in the lens of developing zebrafish
Article first published online: 7 AUG 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 10, pages 2686–2694, October 2006
How to Cite
Shimada, N. and Moorman, S. J. (2006), Changes in gravitational force cause changes in gene expression in the lens of developing zebrafish. Dev. Dyn., 235: 2686–2694. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20901
- Issue published online: 12 SEP 2006
- Article first published online: 7 AUG 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JUN 2006
- NASA. Grant Number: NAG2-1591
- 2002. Stabilization of hsp70 mRNA on prolonged cell exposure to hypertonicity. Biochim Biophys Acta 1592: 135–140. , , , .
- 2005. Upregulation of heat shock protein expression by proteasome inhibition: an antiapoptotic mechanism in the lens. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46: 2082–2091. , .
- 2002. Effect of exogenous stress on the tissue-cultured mouse lens epithelial cells. J Cell Biochem 86: 302–306. , , .
- 2003. Hsp70 in bovine lenses during temperature stress. Mol Vis 9: 323–328. , , .
- 2002. Lens organelle degradation. Exp Eye Res 74: 1–6. .
- 2000. Heat-shock protein 70 inhibits apoptosis by preventing recruitment of procaspase-9 to the Apaf-1 apoptosome. Nat Cell Biol 2: 469–475. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002a. The heat-inducible zebrafish hsp70 gene is expressed during normal lens development under non-stress conditions. Mech Dev 112: 213–215. , , , , , .
- 2002b. Developmental toxicology of cadmium in living embryos of a stable transgenic zebrafish line. Environ Health Perspect 110: 1041–1046. , , , .
- 1987. Measures of leucine aminopeptidase can be used to anticipate UV-induced age-related damage to lens proteins: ascorbate can delay this damage. Mech Ageing Dev 41: 39–46. , .
- 1996. The molecular chaperone alpha-crystallin inhibits UV-induced protein aggregation. Exp Eye Res 62: 141–148. , , .
- 2003. Endothelial stress by gravitational unloading: effects on cell growth and cytoskeletal organization. Biochim Biophys Acta 1642: 173–179. , , , .
- 2001. Apoptosis in the developing zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol 240: 123–142. , .
- 2001. Space radiation and cataracts in astronauts. Radiat Res 156: 460–466. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Zebrafish alpha-crystallins: protein structure and chaperone-like activity compared to their mammalian orthologs. Mol Vis 11: 88–96. , , , , .
- 1994. Expression of HSP70 mRNA in the embryonic chicken lens: association with differentiation. Exp Eye Res 58: 381–387. , , .
- 1986. Heat shock response of the rat lens. J Cell Biol 102: 104–111. , , , .
- 2005. Zebrafish Hsp70 is required for embryonic lens formation. Cell Stress Chaperones 10: 66–78. , , , .
- 2004. HSF4 is required for normal cell growth and differentiation during mouse lens development. EMBO J 23: 4297–4306. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Heat shock proteins: endogenous modulators of apoptotic cell death. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 286: 433–442. , , , .
- 2003. Changes in gravitational force induce alterations in gene expression that can be monitored in the live, developing zebrafish heart. Adv Space Res 32: 1641–1646. , , , .
- 2000. Laser-induced gene expression in specific cells of transgenic zebrafish. Development 127: 1953–1960. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Localized maternal factors are required for zebrafish germ cell formation. Dev Biol 268: 152–161. , , , , , , .
- 2002. sHsps and their role in the chaperone network. Cell Mol Life Sci 59: 1649–1657. .
- 1992. Alpha-crystallin can function as a molecular chaperone. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89: 10449–10453. .
- 1993. Prospects for use of microgravity-based bioreactors to study three-dimensional host-tumor interactions in human neoplasia. J Cell Biochem 51: 290–300. , , .
- 1998. Hsp70 accumulation in chondrocytic cells exposed to high continuous hydrostatic pressure coincides with mRNA stabilization rather than transcriptional activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 2319–2324. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Heat shock protein 70 kDa: molecular biology, biochemistry, and physiology. Pharmacol Ther 80: 183–201. , .
- 1995. Stages of embryonic development of the zebrafish. Dev Dyn 203: 253–310. , , , , .
- 2004. [ The role of Hsp70 chaperone in the reaction of human leukemic cells to anticancer drugs]. Tsitologiia 46: 550–556. , , .
- 2003. Inhibition of HSP70 and a collagen-specific molecular chaperone (HSP47) expression in rat osteoblasts by microgravity. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1010: 476–480. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Stress-induced, tissue-specific enrichment of hsp70 mRNA accumulation in Xenopus laevis embryos. Cell Stress Chaperones 5: 36–44. , , , .
- 1978. Cell division, cell elongation and distribution of alpha-, beta- and gamma-crystallins in the rat lens. J Embryol Exp Morphol 44: 149–165. .
- 2004. Unique contribution of heat shock transcription factor 4 in ocular lens development and fiber cell differentiation. Genesis 40: 205–217. , , , .
- 1999. Stimulus dependence of the development of the zebrafish (Danio rerio) vestibular system. J Neurobiol 38: 247–258. , , , .
- 2002. A critical period for functional vestibular development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn 223: 285–291. , , .
- 1993. Cells in stress: transcriptional activation of heat shock genes. Science 259: 1409–1410. .
- 1998. Regulation of the heat shock transcriptional response: cross talk between a family of heat shock factors, molecular chaperones, and negative regulators. Genes Dev 12: 3788–3796. .
- 2003. Nuclear cataract caused by a lack of DNA degradation in the mouse eye lens. Nature 424: 1071–1074. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Accumulation of stress protein 72 (HSP72) in muscle and spleen of goldfish taken into space. Adv Space Res 21: 1077–1080. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. p53CSV, a novel p53-inducible gene involved in the p53-dependent cell-survival pathway. Cancer Res 65: 1197–1206. , .
- 2001. Heat-shock protein 70 antagonizes apoptosis-inducing factor. Nat Cell Biol 3: 839–843. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Effects of microgravity and hypergravity on early development stages of Xenopus laevis. J Gravit Physiol 9: P207–P208. , , , , , .
- 2005. Changes in gravitational force affect gene expression in developing organ systems at different developmental times. BMC Dev Biol 5: 10. , , .
- 1991. Heat shock factor and the heat shock response. Cell 65: 363–366. .
- 1987. Posttranscriptional regulation of hsp70 expression in human cells: effects of heat shock, inhibition of protein synthesis, and adenovirus infection on translation and mRNA stability. Mol Cell Biol 7: 4357–4368. , .
- 1987. Developmental expression of crystallin genes: in situ hybridization reveals a differential localization of specific mRNAs. Dev Biol 123: 338–345. , , , .
- 1995. Alpha-crystallin can act as a chaperone under conditions of oxidative stress. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 36: 311–321. , .
- 2000. alpha-crystallin prevents irreversible protein denaturation and acts cooperatively with other heat-shock proteins to renature the stabilized partially denatured protein in an ATP-dependent manner. Eur J Biochem 267: 4705–4712. , .
- 2001. UV-A-related alterations of young and adult lens water-insoluble alpha-crystallin, plasma membranous and cytoskeletal proteins. Eur J Biochem 268: 536–543. , , , , .
- 1978. Heat induced aggregation of the sodium dodecyl sulfate-solubilized main intrinsic polypeptide isolated from bovine lens plasma membrane. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 84: 158–165. , , .