Patterns & Phenotypes
Expression of the protein related to Dan and Cerberus gene—prdc—During eye, pharyngeal arch, somite, and swim bladder development in zebrafish
Article first published online: 18 AUG 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 10, pages 2881–2888, October 2006
How to Cite
Müller, I. I., Knapik, E. W. and Hatzopoulos, A. K. (2006), Expression of the protein related to Dan and Cerberus gene—prdc—During eye, pharyngeal arch, somite, and swim bladder development in zebrafish. Dev. Dyn., 235: 2881–2888. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20925
- Issue published online: 12 SEP 2006
- Article first published online: 18 AUG 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JUL 2006
- Vanderbilt Development funds
- 1994. Combinatorial expression of three zebrafish genes related to distal-less: part of a homeobox gene code for the head. J Neurosci 14: 3475–3486. , , , , .
- 2004. Comparative genomic analysis of the eight-membered ring cystine knot-containing bone morphogenetic protein antagonists. Mol Endocrinol 18: 1–12. , .
- 2000. The organizer factors Chordin and Noggin are required for mouse forebrain development. Nature 403: 658–661. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Neural crest survival and differentiation in zebrafish depends on mont blanc/tfap2a gene function. Development 131: 1463–1477. , , , .
- 2000. Cerberus-like is a secreted BMP and nodal antagonist not essential for mouse development. Genesis 26: 265–270. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Murine cerberus homologue mCer-1: a candidate anterior patterning molecule. Dev Biol 194: 135–151. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Cerberus is a head-inducing secreted factor expressed in the anterior endoderm of Spemann's organizer. Nature 382: 595–601. , , , , .
- 2002. Genetic analysis of the mammalian transforming growth factor-beta superfamily. Endocr Rev 23: 787–823. , , .
- 2004. Bone morphogenetic proteins. Growth Factors 22: 233–241. , , .
- 2005. Clinical applications of BMPs. Injury 36S: S43–S46. , .
- 2004. Dorsal-ventral patterning and neural induction in Xenopus embryos. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 20: 285–308. , .
- 2001. Mutation and analysis of Dan, the founding member of the Dan family of transforming growth factor beta antagonists. Mol Cell Biol 21: 636–643. , , .
- 1995. A requirement for bone morphogenetic protein-7 during development of the mammalian kidney and eye. Genes Dev 9: 2795–2807. , , .
- 1999. Three different noggin genes antagonize the activity of bone morphogenetic proteins in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol 214: 181–196. , , .
- 1996. Genetic analysis of dorsoventral pattern formation in the zebrafish: requirement of a BMP-like ventralizing activity and its dorsal repressor. Genes Dev 10: 2452–2461. , , .
- 2004. The Cerberus/Dan-family protein Charon is a negative regulator of Nodal signaling during left-right patterning in zebrafish. Development 131: 1741–1753. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Involvement of Bone Morphogenetic Protein-4 (BMP-4) and Vgr-1 in morphogenesis and neurogenesis in the mouse. Development 111: 531–542. , , .
- 2003. Gremlin is the BMP antagonist required for maintenance of Shh and Fgf signals during limb patterning. Nat Genet 34: 303–307. , , , , .
- 2005. Depletion of three BMP antagonists from Spemann's organizer leads to a catastrophic loss of dorsal structures. Dev Cell 8: 401–411. , , , .
- 1993. Neural induction by the secreted polypeptide noggin. Science 262: 713–718. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. A new tinman-related gene, nkx2. 7, anticipates the expression of nkx2.5 and nkx2.3 in zebrafish heart and pharyngeal endoderm. Dev Biol 180: 722–731. , , .
- 2001. The bone morphogenic protein antagonist gremlin regulates proximal-distal patterning of the lung. Dev Dyn 222: 667–680. , , , , , .
- 1995. BMP-7 is an inducer of nephrogenesis, and is also required for eye development and skeletal patterning. Genes Dev 9: 2808–2820. , , , , , .
- 1999. Development of the retina. Methods Cell Biol 59: 273–299. .
- 2004. The activity of the Nodal antagonist Cerl-2 in the mouse node is required for correct L/R body axis. Genes Dev 18: 2342–2347. , , , , , .
- 2000. How cells read TGF-beta signals. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 1: 169–178. .
- 1998. Noggin-mediated antagonism of BMP signaling is required for growth and patterning of the neural tube and somite. Genes Dev 12: 1438–1452. , , , , , .
- 2004. Gremlin-mediated BMP antagonism induces the epithelial-mesenchymal feedback signaling controlling metanephric kidney and limb organogenesis. Development 131: 3401–3410. , , , , , .
- 1998. Sequence and expression of a novel mouse gene PRDC (protein related to DAN and cerberus) identified by a gene trap approach. Dev Growth Differ 40: 343–353. , , , .
- 2005. Bone morphogenetic proteins and vascular differentiation: BMPing up vasculogenesis. Thromb Haemost 94: 713–718. , .
- 2005. Distinct developmental programs require different levels of Bmp signaling during mouse retinal development. Development 132: 913–923. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Regulated expression pattern of gremlin during zebrafish development. Gene Expr Patterns 5: 539–544. , , , , .
- 2005. BMP4 and noggin control embryonic blood vessel formation by antagonistic regulation of VEGFR-2 (Quek1) expression. Dev Biol 280: 100–110. , , , , , .
- 2003. From endoderm formation to liver and pancreas development in zebrafish. Mech Dev 120: 5–18. , , .
- 1999. A mouse cerberus/Dan-related gene family. Dev Biol 209: 98–110. , , .
- 2002. Nodal antagonists in the anterior visceral endoderm prevent the formation of multiple primitive streaks. Dev Cell 3: 745–756. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Dorsoventral patterning in Xenopus: inhibition of ventral signals by direct binding of chordin to BMP-4. Cell 86: 589–598. , , , .
- 1999. The head inducer Cerberus is a multifunctional antagonist of Nodal, BMP and Wnt signals. Nature 397: 707–710. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Regulation of dorsal somitic cell fates: BMPs and Noggin control the timing and pattern of myogenic regulator expression. Genes Dev 12: 290–303. , , .
- 1999. The novel Cer-like protein Caronte mediates the establishment of embryonic left-right asymmetry. Nature 401: 243–251. , , , , , .
- 2005. Molecular genetics of axis formation in zebrafish. Annu Rev Genet 39: 561–613. , .
- 1994. Early eye morphogenesis in the zebrafish, Brachydanio rerio. J Comp Neurol 344: 532–542. , .
- 1999. Early retinal development in the zebrafish, Danio rerio: light and electron microscopic analyses. J Comp Neurol 404: 515–536. , .
- 1997. The zebrafish organizer requires chordino. Nature 387: 862–863. , , , .
- 2001. Gremlin negatively modulates BMP-4 induction of embryonic mouse lung branching morphogenesis. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 280: L1030–L1039. , , , .
- 2000. Somite development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn 219: 287–303. , , .
- 2004. Protein related to DAN and Cerberus is a Bone Morphogenetic Protein antagonist that participates in ovarian paracrine regulation. J Biol Chem 279: 23134–23141. , , , .
- 1993. Structure of the zebrafish snail1 gene and its expression in wild-type, spadetail and no tail mutant embryos. Development 119: 1203–1215. , , , .
- 2005. The disparate role of BMP in stem cell biology. Oncogene 24: 5713–5721. , .
- 2003. From developmental disorder to heritable cancer: it's all in the BMP/TGF-beta family. Nat Rev Genet 4: 763–773. , .
- 1999. Bmp signaling regulates proximal-distal differentiation of endoderm in mouse lung development. Development 126: 4005–4015. , , , , .
- 1995. Bone morphogenetic protein-4 is required for mesoderm formation and patterning in the mouse. Genes Dev 9: 2105–2116. , , , .
- 2002. Overview of bone morphogenetic proteins. Spine 27: S2–S8. .
- 1988. Novel regulators of bone formation: molecular clones and activities. Science 242: 1528–1534. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Nodal antagonists regulate formation of the anteroposterior axis of the mouse embryo. Nature 428: 387–392. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. BMP antagonists: their roles in development and involvement in pathophysiology. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 16: 309–317. .
- 1999. Antagonistic signaling by Caronte, a novel Cerberus-related gene, establishes left-right asymmetric gene expression. Cell 98: 573–583. , , , .
- 2005. BMP signaling and stem cell regulation. Dev Biol 284: 1–11. , .