Christophe Faure and Alcmène Chalazonitis contributed equally to this work.
Special Focus Research Article
Gangliogenesis in the enteric nervous system: Roles of the polysialylation of the neural cell adhesion molecule and its regulation by bone morphogenetic protein-4
Article first published online: 6 SEP 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 1, pages 44–59, January 2007
How to Cite
Faure, C., Chalazonitis, A., Rhéaume, C., Bouchard, G., Sampathkumar, S.-G., Yarema, K. J. and Gershon, M. D. (2007), Gangliogenesis in the enteric nervous system: Roles of the polysialylation of the neural cell adhesion molecule and its regulation by bone morphogenetic protein-4. Dev. Dyn., 236: 44–59. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20943
- Issue published online: 19 DEC 2006
- Article first published online: 6 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JUN 2006
- Sick Kids Foundation. Grant Number: XG05 –026R
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: DK 58056, NS15547
- Sainte-Justine Hospital Research Centre (CF)
- Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation
- 1988. Smooth muscle cells transiently express NCAM. Brain Res 464: 107–120. , , , , .
- 1992. Expression of cell adhesion molecules during initiation and cessation of neural crest cell migration. Dev Dyn 194: 12–20. , .
- 2006. Phenotypes of neural-crest-derived cells in vagal and sacral pathways. Cell Tissue Res 323: 11–25. , , .
- 1997. Human STX polysialyltransferase forms the embryonic form of the neural cell adhesion molecule. Tissue-specific expression, neurite outgrowth, and chromosomal localization in comparison with another polysialyltransferase, PST. J Biol Chem 272: 7182–7190. , , , , , .
- 2000. Ninjurin2, a novel homophilic adhesion molecule, is expressed in mature sensory and enteric neurons and promotes neurite outgrowth. J Neurosci 20: 187–195. , .
- 1990. Transiently catecholaminergic (TC) cells in the bowel of the fetal rat: precursors of noncatecholaminergic enteric neurons. Dev Biol 141: 353–380. , , .
- 1993. The mouse NCAM gene displays a biphasic expression pattern during neural tube development. Development 117: 543–552. , , .
- 1992. Mapping of the distribution of polysialylated neural cell adhesion molecule throughout the central nervous system of the adult rat: an immunohistochemical study. Neuroscience 49: 419–436. , , , .
- 2003. Differential regulation of polysialyltransferase expression during hippocampus development: Implications for neuronal survival. J Neurosci Res 74: 744–753. , , .
- 2001. Roles, regulation, and mechanism of polysialic acid function during neural development. Biochimie 83: 635–643. , .
- 1998. The sacral crest contributes neurons and glia to the post-umbilical gut: spatiotemporal analysis of the development of the enteric nervous system. Development 125: 4335–4347. , .
- 2004. Neurotrophin-3 in the development of the enteric nervous system. Prog Brain Res 146: 243–263. .
- 1998a. Age-dependent differences in the effects of GDNF and NT-3 on the development of neurons and glia from neural crest-derived precursors immunoselected from the fetal rat gut: expression of GFRalpha-1 in vitro and in vivo. Dev Biol 204: 385–406. , , , .
- 1998b. Promotion of the development of enteric neurons and glia by neuropoietic cytokines: interactions with neurotrophin-3. Dev Biol 198: 343–365. , , , , , .
- 2001. Neurotrophin-3 is required for the survival-differentiation of subsets of developing enteric neurons. J Neurosci 21: 5620–5636. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Bone morphogenetic protein-2 and -4 limit the number of enteric neurons but promote development of a TrkC-expressing neurotrophin-3-dependent subset. J Neurosci 24: 4266–4282. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Differential effects of unnatural sialic acids on the polysialylation of the neural cell adhesion molecule and neuronal behavior. J Biol Chem 277: 9255–9261. , , , .
- 1998. BMPs, Smads and metalloproteases: extracellular and intracellular modes of negative regulation. Curr Opin Gen Dev 8: 443–449. , .
- 2000. Cellular signaling by neural cell adhesion molecules of the immunoglobulin superfamily. Dev Dyn 218: 260–279. , .
- 2005. Bone morphogenetic protein signaling pathway plays multiple roles during gastrointestinal tract development. Dev Dyn 234: 312–322. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Ultrastructural localization of molecular subtypes of immunoreactive neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) in the adult rodent striatum. J Neurosci 9: 4158–4168. , , , .
- 1996. Common origin and developmental dependence on c-ret of subsets of enteric and sympathetic neuroblasts. Development 122: 349–358. , , , , .
- 2000. Mice deficient in the polysialyltransferase ST8SiaIV/PST-1 allow discrimination of the roles of neural cell adhesion molecule protein and polysialic acid in neural development and synaptic plasticity. J Neurosci 20: 5234–5244. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. GFR alpha1-deficient mice have deficits in the enteric nervous system and kidneys. Neuron 21: 317–324. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Formation of ganglia in the gut of the chick embryo. J Comp Neurol 307: 189–199. , , .
- 2003. Expression of polysialylated neural cell adhesion molecule (PSA-NCAM) in the developing and mature rat enteric nervous system (ENS): relationship to neuronal differentiation and plasticity. In: Enteric Nervous System Conference. Banff, Alberta. 9–13 July 2003. Neurogastroenterol Motil 15: 85. , , , .
- 2004. Embryonic development of the ganglion plexuses and the concentric layer structure of human gut: a topographical study. Anat Embryol (Berl) 208: 33–41. , , , .
- 2000. Types of neurons in the enteric nervous system. J Auton Nerv Syst 81: 87–96. .
- 1987. The enteric nervous system. New York: Churchill Livingstone. , .
- 2000. Functional anatomy of the enteric nervous system: a developmental perspective relevant to the pathogenesis of Hirschsprung's disease. In: HolschneiderAM, PuriP, editors. Hirschsprung's disease and allied disorders. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Harwood Academic Publishers. p 19–58. .
- 1994. Functional anatomy of the enteric nervous system. In: JohnsonLR, AlpersDH, JacobsonED, WalshJH, editors. Physiology of the gastrointestinal tract, 3rd ed. New York: Raven Press. p 381–422. , , .
- 2003. GDNF availability determines enteric neuron number by controlling precursor proliferation. Development 130: 2187–2198. , , , , .
- 1994. Expression of immunoreactive polysialylated neural cell adhesion molecule in the suprachiasmatic nucleus. Neuroendocrinology 60: 87–95. , , , .
- 2005. BMP signaling is necessary for neural crest cell migration and ganglion formation in the enteric nervous system. Mech Dev 122: 821–833. , , , , .
- 1998. Neurturin and GDNF promote proliferation and survival of enteric neuron and glial progenitors in vitro. Dev Biol 200: 116–129. , , , .
- 1995. A potential interaction of p75 and trkA NGF receptors revealed by affinity crosslinking and immunoprecipitation. J Neurosci Res 40: 557–563. , .
- 2003. Netrins and DCC in the guidance of migrating neural crest-derived cells in the developing bowel and pancreas. Developmental Biology 258: 364–384. , , .
- 2005. Direct evidence that neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) polysialylation increases intermembrane repulsion and abrogates adhesion. J Biol Chem 280: 137–145. , , , .
- 2000. Colonization of the murine hindgut by sacral crest-derived neural precursors: experimental support for an evolutionarily conserved model. Dev Biol 227: 146–155. .
- 2001. The role of neural cell adhesion molecules in plasticity and repair. Brain Res Brain Res Rev 36: 175–184. , , , , .
- 1996. Biosynthesis and expression of polysialic acid on the neural cell adhesion molecule is predominantly directed by ST8Sia II/STX during in vitro neuronal differentiation. J Biol Chem 271: 22058–22062. , , , , , .
- 1973. The migration of neural crest cells to the wall of the digestive tract in avian embryo. J Embryol Exp Morphol 30: 31–48. , .
- 1974. Experimental analysis of the migration and differentiation of neuroblasts of the autonomic nervous system and of neurectodermal mesenchymal derivatives, using a biological cell marking technique. Dev. Biol. 41: 162–184. , .
- 1996. Chain migration of neuronal precursors. Science 271: 978–981. , , .
- 2005. Plasticity of the enteric nervous system during intestinal inflammation. Neurogastroenterol Motil 17: 4–15. , , .
- 2001. A small-molecule modulator of poly-alpha 2,8-sialic acid expression on cultured neurons and tumor cells. Science 294: 380–381. , , , , , .
- 2001. Development of the submucous plexus in the large intestine of the mouse. Cell Tissue Res 303: 301–305. , , .
- 1986. Distribution of the adhesion molecules N-CAM and L1 on peripheral neurons and glia in adult rats. J Neurocytol 15: 799–815. , , , .
- 1996. Renal and neuronal abnormalities in mice lacking GDNF. Nature 382: 76–79. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. A human polysialyltransferase directs in vitro synthesis of polysialic acid. J Biol Chem 271: 1829–1832. , .
- 1995. Expression cloning of a human polysialyltransferase that forms the polysialylated neural cell adhesion molecule present in embryonic brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 7031–7035. , , , , .
- 1998. Polysialic acid, a unique glycan that is developmentally regulated by two polysialyltransferases, PST and STX, in the central nervous system: from biosynthesis to function. Pathol Int 48: 665–677. , , , , .
- 2002. Requirement of signalling by receptor tyrosine kinase RET for the directed migration of enteric nervous system progenitor cells during mammalian embryogenesis. Development 129: 5151–5160. , , , .
- 2002. Enteric nervous system: development and developmental disturbances: part 1. Pediatr Dev Pathol 5: 224–247. , .
- 1995. Extracellular matrix and adhesive molecules in the early development of the gut and its innervation in normal and spotting lethal rat embryos. Acta Anat (Basel) 154: 243–260. , .
- 2003. The neural cell adhesion molecule NCAM is an alternative signaling receptor for GDNF family ligands. Cell 113: 867–879. , , .
- 1997. Developmental expression of two rat sialyltransferases that modify the neural cell adhesion molecule, N-CAM. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 102: 143–155. , , .
- 1996. Defects in enteric innervation and kidney development in mice lacking GDNF. Nature 382: 73–76. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Colonization of the post-umbilical bowel by cells derived from the sacral neural crest: direct tracing of cell migration using an intercalating probe and a replication-deficient retrovirus. Development 111: 647–655. , , .
- 2001. Quantification on the LightCycler. In: MeuerS, WittwerC, NakagawaraK, editors. Rapid cycle real-time PCR, methods and applications. Heidelberg: Springer Press. pp 21–34. .
- 2000. Molecular mechanisms of development of the gastrointestinal tract. Dev Dyn 219: 109–120. .
- 1995. Sonic hedgehog is an endodermal signal inducing Bmp-4 and Hox genes during induction and regionalization of the chick hindgut. Development 121: 3163–3174. , , , , , .
- 1996. Neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) expression in nerves and muscle of developing human large bowel. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 22: 351–358. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Inhibition of migration of neural crest-derived cells by the abnormal mesenchyme of the presumptive aganglionic bowel of ls/ls mice: analysis with aggregation and interspecies chimeras. Dev Biol 159: 559-573. , , .
- 1984. Colonization of the developing murine enteric nervous system and subsequent phenotypic expression by the precursors of peptidergic neurons. J Comp Neurol 225: 13–23. , , .
- 2003. New insights into the diversity and function of neuronal immunoglobulin superfamily molecules. Annu Rev Neurosci 26: 207–238. , .
- 1986. A monoclonal antibody against meningococcus group B polysaccharides distinguishes embryonic from adult N-CAM. J Cell Biol 103: 2429–2437. , , , , .
- 1996. Polysialic acid in the vertebrate nervous system: a promoter of plasticity in cell-cell interactions. Trends Neurosci 19: 422–427. , .
- 1996. Renal agenesis and the absence of enteric neurons in mice lacking GDNF. Nature 382: 70–73. , , , , , .
- 1994. Defects in the kidney and enteric nervous system of mice lacking the tyrosine kinase receptor Ret. Nature 367: 380–383. , , , , .
- 1993. Distribution and possible roles of the highly polysialylated neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM-H) in the developing and adult central nervous system. Neurosci Res 17: 265–290. , .
- 1991. Vital dye labeling demonstrates a sacral neural crest contribution to the enteric nervous system of chick and mouse embryos. Development 111: 857–866. , , , .
- 2005. Structural development of PGP9.5-immunopositive myenteric plexus in embryonic rats. Anat Embryol (Berl) 209: 341–348. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Sequential expression and role of Hu RNA-binding proteins during neurogenesis. Development 124: 3449–3460. , .
- 2003. Cholinergic and nitrergic innervation of ICC-DMP and ICC-IM in the human small intestine. Neurogastroenterol Motil 15: 531–543. , , .
- 2000. Interstitial cells of Cajal mediate cholinergic neurotransmission from enteric motor neurons. J Neurosci 20: 1393–1403. , , , , , .
- 2005. Genetic ablation of polysialic acid causes severe neurodevelopmental defects rescued by deletion of the neural cell adhesion molecule. J Biol Chem 280: 42971–42977. , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. The neuron-specific protein PGP 9.5 is a ubiquitin carboxyl-terminal hydrolase. Science 246: 670–673. , , , , , .
- 1997. Cloning and in situ hybridization analysis of the expression of polysialyltransferase mRNA in the developing and adult rat brain. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 51: 69–81. , , , , , .
- 1999. Inhibition of in vitro enteric neuronal development by endothelin-3: mediation by endothelin B receptors. Development 126: 1161–1173. , , , .
- 1998. A single rostrocaudal colonization of the rodent intestine by enteric neuron precursors is revealed by the expression of Phox2B, Ret, and p75 and by explants grown under the kidney capsule or in organ culture. Dev. Biol. 202: 67–84. , , , , , .
- 2004a. Guidance cues involved in the development of the peripheral autonomic nervous system. Auton Neurosci 112: 1–14. , , .
- 2004b. Dynamics of neural crest-derived cell migration in the embryonic mouse gut. Dev Biol 270: 455–473. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Expression of Ret-, p75(NTR)-, Phox2a-, Phox2b-, and tyrosine hydroxylase-immunoreactivity by undifferentiated neural crest-derived cells and different classes of enteric neurons in the embryonic mouse gut. Dev Dyn 216: 137–152. , , , .
- 2001. GDNF is a chemoattractant for enteric neural cells. Dev Biol 229: 503–516. , , , , , .
- 1983. Neuronal differentiation in cultured neural crest cells: the effect of serum on neurite outgrowth. Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser 19: 251–261. , .