Zebrafish pax5 regulates development of the utricular macula and vestibular function
Article first published online: 29 SEP 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 11, pages 3026–3038, November 2006
How to Cite
Kwak, S.-J., Vemaraju, S., Moorman, S. J., Zeddies, D., Popper, A. N. and Riley, B. B. (2006), Zebrafish pax5 regulates development of the utricular macula and vestibular function. Dev. Dyn., 235: 3026–3038. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20961
- Issue published online: 12 OCT 2006
- Article first published online: 29 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 AUG 2006
- National Institutes of Health, NIDCD. Grant Numbers: R01-DC03806, T32-DC-00046, P30 DC004664
- NASA. Grant Number: NAG2-1591
- 2000. Inner ear and lateral line expression o f a zebrafish Nkx5–1 gene and its downregulation in the ears of FGF8 mutant, ace. Mech Dev 97: 161–165. , , , , , .
- 2002. Neurogenin1 defines zebrafish cranial sensory ganglia precursors. Dev Biol 251: 45–58. , , .
- 2002. High-throughput behavioral screening and method for detecting auditory response deficits in zebrafish. J Neurosci Methods 118: 177–187. , , , .
- 2004. From placode to polarization: new tunes in inner ear development. Development 131: 4119–4130. , .
- 2004. Quantifying the ontogeny and vestibuloocular behaviors in zebrafish, medaka and goldfish. J Neurophysiol 92: 3546–3561. , , , .
- 2000. Functional equivalence of the transcription factors Pax2 and Pax5 in mouse development. Development 127: 3703–3713. , , .
- 2004. The role of Pax2 in mouse inner ear development. Dev Biol 272: 161–175. , , , , .
- 2001. Inhibition of zebrafish fgf8 pre-mRNA splicing with morpholino oligos: a quantifiable method for gene knockdown. Genesis 30: 154–156. , , .
- 1992a. Regional expression of three homeobox transcripts in the inner ear of zebrafish embryos. Neuron 9: 27–35. , , , .
- 1992b. Differential DNA sequence recognition is a determinant of specificity in homeotic gene action. EMBO J 11: 4059–4072. , , .
- 1974. Acoustic stimulation of the ear of the goldfish (Carassius auratus). J Exp Biol 61: 243–260. , .
- 1980. Structure and function in teleosts auditory systems. In: PopperAN, FayRR, editors. Comparative studies of hearing in vertebrates. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. , .
- 2002. Revisiting fate specification in the inner ear. Curr Opin Neurobiol 12: 35–42. , .
- 1996. Early ear development in the embryo of the zebrafish, Danio rerio. J Comp Neurol 365: 113–128. , .
- 1998. Delta-Notch signalling and the patterning of sensory cell differentiation in the zebrafish ear: evidence from the mind bomb mutant. Development 125: 4637–4644. , , , .
- 2000. Combined expression of zebrafish Brn-1- and Brn-2-related POU genes in the embryonic brain, pronephric primordium, and pharyngeal arches. Dev Dyn 218: 345–358. , .
- 1999. Xenopus Pax-2/5/8 orthologues: novel insights into Pax gene evolution and identification of Pax-8 as the earliest marker for otic and pronephric cell lineages. Dev Genet 24: 208–219. , .
- 2004. Transcription profiling of inner ears from Pou4f3(ddl/ddl) identifies Gfi1 as a target of the Pou4f3 deafness gene. Hum Mol Genet 13: 2143–2153. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Fgf3 signaling from the ventral diencephalon is required for early specification and subsequent survival of the zebrafish adenohypophysis. Development 131: 3681–3692. , , , , , .
- 1996. The zebrafish Fgf-3 gene: cDNA sequence, transcript structure and genomic organization. Gene 168: 211–215. , , .
- 1995. Stages of embryonic development of the zebrafish. Dev Dyn 203: 253–310. , , , , .
- 2002. An expanded domain of fgf3 expression in the hindbrain of zebrafish valentino mutants results in mis-patterning of the otic vesicle. Development 129: 5279–5287. , , , .
- 2002. Expression of the transcription factors GATA3 and Pax2 during development of the mammalian inner ear. J Comp Neurol 442: 378–391. , , .
- 1985. The vertebrate inner ear. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. , , .
- 1994. Expression of two zebrafish orthodenticle-related genes in the embryonic brain. Mech Dev 48: 229–244. , , , .
- 2004. Correlation of Pax-2 expression with cell proliferation in the developing chicken inner ear. J Neurobiol 60: 61–70. , , , , .
- 1998. A series of no isthmus (noi) alleles of the zebrafish pax2.1 gene reveals multiple signaling events in development of the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Development 125: 3049–3062. , .
- 2003. Development of vestibular afferent projections into the hindbrain and their central targets. Brain Res Bull 60: 497–510. , .
- 1999. Otx1 and Otx2 activities are required for the normal development of the mouse inner ear. Development 126: 2335–2343. , , , , , .
- 2000. Effective targeted gene ‘knockdown’ in zebrafish. Nat Genet 26: 216–220. , .
- 1993. Cloning of the zebrafish krox-20 gene (krx-20) and its expression during hindbrain development. Nucleic Acids Res. 21: 1087–1095. , .
- 1998. Characterization of three novel members of the zebrafish Pax2/5/8 family: dependency of Pax5 and Pax8 expression on the Pax2.1 (noi) function. Development 125: 3063–3074. , , , , .
- 2001. Zebrafish fgf3 and fgf8 encode redundant functions required for otic placode induction. Dev Biol 235: 351–365. , , .
- 1993. Sound detection and processing by fish: critical review and major research questions. Brain Behav Evol 41: 14–38. , .
- 2003. Sound detection mechanisms and capabilities of teleosts fishes. In: CollinSP, MarshallNJ, editors. Sensory processing in aquatic environments. New York: Springer-Verlag. p 3–38. , , , .
- 1998. The effect of explantation and neomycin on hair cells and supporting cells in organotypic cultures of the adult guinea-pig utricle. Hear Res 118: 157–167. , , .
- 1998. Fgf8 is mutated in zebrafish acerebellar (ace) mutants and is required for maintenance of midbrain-hindbrain boundary and somitogenesis. Development 125: 2381–2395. , , , , .
- 1996. A mutation in zebrafish affecting a localized cellular function required for normal ear development. Dev Biol 179: 427–435. , .
- 2000. Development of utricular otoliths, but not saccular otoliths, is necessary for vestibular function and survival in zebrafish. J Neurobiol 43: 329–337. , .
- 2003. Ringing in the new ear: resolution of cell interactions in otic development. Dev Biol 261: 289–312. , .
- 1999. The deltaA gene of zebrafish mediates lateral inhibition of hair cells in the inner ear and is regulated by pax2.1. Development 126: 5669–5678. , , , .
- 1997. A critical period of ear development controlled by distinct populations of ciliated cells in the zebrafish. Dev Biol 191: 191–201. , , , .
- 2005. Pax2 expression patterns in the developing chick inner ear. Gene Expr Patterns 5: 763–773. , , .
- 2005. Clonal analysis of the relationships between mechanosensory cells and the neurons that innervate them in the chicken ear. Development 132: 1687–1697. , .
- 1992. Epithelial repair following mechanical injury of the developing organ of Corti in culture: an electron microscopic and autoradiographic study. Exp Neurol 115: 44–49. , , .
- 1997. Cellular interactions as a response to injury in the organ of Corti in culture. Int J Dev Neurosci 15: 463–485. , , .
- 1994. Complete block of early B cell differentiation and altered patterning of the posterior midbrain in mice lacking Pax5/BSAP. Cell 79: 901–912. , , , , .
- 2003. The zinc finger transcription factor Gfi1, implicated in lymphomagenesis, is required for inner ear hair cell differentiation and survival. Development 130: 221–232. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Development of the zebrafish inner ear. Dev Dyn 223: 427–458. , , , .
- 1998. Requirement for Brn-3c in maturation and survival, but not in fate determination of inner ear hair cells. Development 125: 3935–3946. , , , .
- 2005. Development of the acoustically evoked behavioral response in zebrafish to pure tones. J Exp Biol 208: 1361–1372. , .
- 1997. The Pax-5 gene is alternatively spliced during B-cell development. J Biol Chem 272: 10160–10168. , , , , , .