Origin and characteristics of glycogen cells in the developing murine placenta
Article first published online: 12 OCT 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 235, Issue 12, pages 3280–3294, December 2006
How to Cite
Coan, P.M., Conroy, N., Burton, G.J. and Ferguson-Smith, A.C. (2006), Origin and characteristics of glycogen cells in the developing murine placenta. Dev. Dyn., 235: 3280–3294. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20981
- Issue published online: 10 NOV 2006
- Article first published online: 12 OCT 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 SEP 2006
- Anatomical Society of Great Britain and Ireland
- Isaac Newton Trust, Trinity College, Cambridge
- 2002. Interactions between trophoblast cells and the maternal and fetal circulation in the mouse placenta. Dev Biol 250: 358–373. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Gestation stage-dependent intrauterine trophoblast cell invasion in the rat and mouse: novel endocrine phenotype and regulation. Dev Biol 260: 176–190. , , .
- 1993. Role of insulin-like growth factors in embryonic and postnatal growth. Cell 75: 73–82. , , .
- 2000. Expression of matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 in the mouse uterus during implantation and oil-induced decidualization. J Reprod Fertil 120: 125–134. , , .
- 1990. Mobilization of placental glycogen in diabetic rats. Placenta 11: 515–521. , .
- 1992. Metalloproteinases mediate extracellular matrix degradation by cells from mouse blastocyst outgrowths. Development 114: 447–456. , , .
- 2006. Tracing the glycogen cells with protocadherin 12 during mouse placenta development. Placenta 27: 882–888. , , , .
- 2004. Developmental dynamics of the definitive mouse placenta assessed by stereology. Biol Reprod 70: 1806–1813. , , .
- 2005. Ultrastructural changes in the interhaemal membrane and junctional zone of the murine chorioallantoic placenta across gestation. J Anat 207: 783–796. , , .
- 2002. Placental-specific IGF-II is a major modulator of placental and fetal growth. Nature 417: 945–948. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. How to make a placenta: mechanisms of trophoblast cell differentiation in mice - a review. Placenta 26: S3–S9. .
- 1999. Hasn't the time come to replace the term metrial gland? J Reprod Immunol 42: 127–129. .
- 2000. Can murine uterine natural killer cells give insights into the pathogenesis of preeclampsia? J Soc Gynecol Invest 7: 12–20. , , , .
- 1996. Expression of the gap junction proteins connexin31 and connexin43 correlates with communication compartments in extraembryonic tissues and in the gastrulating mouse embryo, respectively. J Cell Sci 109: 191–197. , , , , .
- 1968. Histological and fine structural observations on the placenta of the rat. Acta Anat 69: 542–608. , .
- 2001. Decorin inhibits endothelial migration and tube-like structure formation: role of thrombospondin-1. Microvasc Res 62: 26–42. , , , , , .
- 1996. Molecular characterisation of the gene locus of the human cell proliferation-associated nuclear protein defined by monoclonal antibody Ki-67. Cell Prolif 29: 1–12. , , , , .
- 2002. Placental overgrowth in mice lacking imprinted gene Ipl. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 7490–7495. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Roles for genomic imprinting and the zygote genome in placental development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 4522–4527. , , , .
- 2002. Comparative developmental anatomy of the murine and human placenta. Placenta 23: 3–19. , , .
- 1983. Production of a mouse monoclonal antibody reactive with a human nuclear antigen associated with cell proliferation. Int J Cancer 31: 13–20. , , , .
- 1991. immunobiochemical and molecular biologic characterisation of the cell proliferation-associated nuclear antigen that is defined by monoclonal antibody Ki-67. Am J Pathol 138: 867–873. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Genomic imprinting of Mash2, a mouse gene required for trophoblast development. Nat Genet 3: 235–242. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. The nucleator. J Microsc 151: 3–21. .
- 1985. Stereological estimate of volume weighted mean volume of arbitrary particles observed on random sections. J Microsc 138: 127–142. , .
- 2000. Periodic expression of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p57 (Kip2) in trophoblast giant cells defines a G2-like gap phase of the endocycle. Mol Biol Cell 11: 1037–1047. , , , .
- 1999. Alternative splicing of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-R1 (FLT-1) pre-mRNA is important for the regulation of VEGF activity. Mol Endocrinol 13: 537–545. , , , , , .
- 1998. Unbiased stereology: three-dimensional measurements in microscopy. New York: Springer-Verlag. , .
- 1998. Matrix proteoglycans: from molecular design to cellular function. Annu Rev Biochem 67: 609–652. .
- 1989. Fundamental stereological formulae based on isotropically oriented probes through fixed points with applications to particle analysis. J Microsc 153: 249–267. , .
- 2005. Cx31 and Cx43 double-deficient mice reveal independent functions in murine placental and skin development. Dev Dyn 233: 853–863. , , , .
- 2000. Retrovirally mediated expression of decorin by macrovascular endothelial cells. Effects on cellular migration and fibronectin fibrillogenesis in vitro. J Biol Chem 275: 13924–13932. , , , .
- 2002. Single-handed recognition of a sorting traffic motif by the GGA proteins. Nat Struct Biol 9: 241–244. .
- 1994. Loss of the imprinted IGF2/cation-independent mannose 6-phosphate receptor results in fetal overgrowth and perinatal lethality. Genes Dev 8: 2953–2963. , , , , , .
- 1988. Isolation and characterisation of a novel trophoblast-specific cDNA in the mouse. Genes Dev 2: 1639–1646. , , .
- 1998. Esx-1 is an X-chromosome-imprinted regulator of placental development and fetal growth. Nat Genet 20: 309–311. , .
- 1993. Mice carrying null mutations of the genes encoding insulin-like growth factor (Igf1) and type I IGF receptor (Igf1r). Cell 75: 59–72. , , , , .
- 1998. Molecular cell biology. New York: Scientific American Books, Inc. , , , , , .
- 1996. insulin-like growth factor II affects the appearance and glycogen content of glycogen cells in the murine placenta. Endocrinology 137: 2100–2108. , , , .
- 1997. Growth-promoting interaction of IGF-II with the insulin receptor during mouse embryonic development. Dev Biol 189: 33–48. , , .
- 1996. Mouse mutants lacking the type 2 IGF receptor (IGF2R) are rescued from perinatal lethality in Igf2 and Igf1r null backgrounds. Dev Biol 177: 517–535. , , , , , .
- 1995. Localization of transforming growth factor β and its natural inhibitor decorin in the human placenta and decidua throughout gestation. Placenta 16: 221–231. , , , .
- 2001. Nodal regulates trophoblast differentiation and placental development. Dev Biol 236: 124–135. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. A comparison of placental development and endocrine functions between the human and mouse model. Hum Reprod Update 9: 531–539. , , .
- 2003. Oxidative stress and apoptosis in the labyrinth of the normal mouse placenta increase with gestational age. Placenta 24: A.21. , , , , .
- 1995. p57KIP2, a structurally distinct member of the p21CIP1 Cdk inhibitor family, is a candidate tumor suppressor gene. Genes Dev 6: 650–662. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The ‘reference trap’ revisited: examples of the dangers in using ratios to describe fetoplacental angiogenesis and trophoblast turnover. Placenta 24: 1–7. , , , .
- 2001. Stimulation of human extravillous trophoblast migration by IGF-II is mediated by IGF type 2 receptor involving inhibitory G protein(s) and phosphorylation of MAPK. J Endocrinol Metab 86: 3665–3674. , , , , .
- 2000. E-selectin expression and function in a unique placental trophoblast population at the fetal-maternal interface: regulation by a trophoblast-restricted transcriptional mechanism conserved between humans and mice. Dev Dyn 219: 63–76. , , , , .
- 2002. Asb4, Ata3, and Dcn are novel imprinted genes identified by high-throughput screening using RIKEN cDNA microarray. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 290: 1499–1505. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Decorin suppresses tumor cell growth by activating the epidermal growth factor receptor. J Clin Invest 101: 406–412. , , , , , .
- 1999. p27Xic1, a Cdk inhibitor, promotes the determination of glial cells in Xenopus retina. Cell 99: 499–510. , , , , .
- 1998. Decorin activates the epidermal growth factor receptor and elevates cytosolic Ca21 in A431 carcinoma cells. J Biol Chem 273: 3121–3124. , , , , .
- 1981. Review article: trophoblast invasion and the establishment of haemochorial placentation in man and laboratory animals. Placenta 2: 71–92. , , , .
- 2001. Connexin31-deficiency in mice causes transient placental dysmorphogenesis but does not impair hearing and skin differentiation. Dev Biol 231: 334–347. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Protocadherin 12 (VE-cadherin 2) is expressed in endothelial, trophoblast, and mesangial cells. Exp Cell Res 302: 48–60. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Differential expression of insulin-like growth factor-II in specific regions of the late (post 9.5) murine placenta. Mol Reprod Dev 36: 121–129. , , , , .
- 1996. Connexins and E-cadherin are differentially expressed during trophoblast invasion and placenta differentiation in the rat. Dev Dyn 205: 172–182. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Cited1 is required in trophoblasts for placental development and for embryo growth and survival. Mol Cell Biol 24: 228–244. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Placental development: lessons from mouse mutants. Nat Rev Genet 2: 538–548. , .
- 1999. IL-10 is an autocrine inhibitor of human placental cytotrophoblast MMP-9 production and invasion. Dev Biol 205: 194–204. , .
- 1990. Expression of the IGF-II/mannose-6-phosphate receptor mRNA and protein in the developing rat. Development 109: 67–73. , , , .
- 2004. The prolactin and growth hormone families: pregnancy-specific hormones/cytokines at the maternal-fetal interface. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2: 51–66. .
- 2001. Rodent prolactin family and pregnancy. Norwell, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers. , .
- 2003. A functional overlap of plasminogen and MMPs regulates vascularization during placental development. Development 130: 4439–4450. , , , , .
- 1999. Transforming growth factor-β and p-21: multiple molecular targets of decorin-mediated suppression of neoplastic growth. Cell Tissue Res 296: 221–227. , , , .
- 1996. Biochemistry. New York: WH Freeman and Co. .
- 2000. p57Kip2 regulates the proper development of labyrinthine and spongiotrophoblasts. Mol Hum Reprod 6: 1019–1025. , , .
- 1997. Mash2 acts cell autonomously in mouse spongiotrophoblast development. Dev Biol 190: 55–65. , , , .
- 2001. Placentamegaly in cloned mouse concepti caused by expansion of the spongiotrophoblast layer. Biol Reprod 65: 1813–1821. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression pattern of the epithelial v-like antigen (Eva) transcript suggests a possible role in placental morphogenesis. Dev Genet 23: 317–323. , , .
- 2002. Biochemistry and molecular biology of gelatinase B or matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9). Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol 37: 375–536. , , , , , .
- 1986. Lysosomal enzymes and their receptors. Annu Rev Biochem 55: 167–193. , .
- 2000. Apoptosis in rat placenta is zone-dependent and stimulated by glucocorticoids. Biol Reprod 63: 1913–1917. , , , .
- 2001. Dynamic temporal and spatial regulation of the cdk inhibitor p57(kip2) during embryo morphogenesis. Mech Dev 109: 83–89. , , , .
- 2002. Control of proliferation, migration and invasiveness of human extravillous trophoblast by decorin, a decidual product. Biol Reprod 67: 681–689. , , , .
- 1990. Negative regulation of transforming growth factor-β by the proteoglycan decorin. Nature 346: 281–284. , , .
- 1997. Ablation of the CDK inhibitor p57Kip2 results in increased apoptosis an delayed differentiation during mouse development. Genes Dev 11: 973–983. , , , , .
- 2003. Protein kinase Ba/Akt1 regulates placental development and fetal growth. J Biol Chem 278: 32124–32131. , , , , , , .
- 2003. p57Kip2 regulates actin dynamics by binding and translocating LIM-kinase 1 to the nucleus. J Biol Chem 278: 52919–52923. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Altered cell differentiation and proliferation in mice lacking p57KIP2 indicates a role in Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome. Nature 387: 151–158. , , , , , , , , , .