L. Ma and J.C. Hocking contributed equally to this study.
Zac1 promotes a Müller glial cell fate and interferes with retinal ganglion cell differentiation in Xenopus retina
Article first published online: 27 OCT 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 1, pages 192–202, January 2007
How to Cite
Ma, L., Hocking, J. C., Hehr, C. L., Schuurmans, C. and McFarlane, S. (2007), Zac1 promotes a Müller glial cell fate and interferes with retinal ganglion cell differentiation in Xenopus retina. Dev. Dyn., 236: 192–202. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21002
- Issue published online: 19 DEC 2006
- Article first published online: 27 OCT 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 OCT 2006
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Grant Number: MOP-14138
- March of Dimes Operating Grant
- 1997a. Identification of a gene containing zinc-finger motifs based on lost expression in malignantly transformed rat ovarian surface epithelial cells. Cancer Res 57: 2029–2034. , , , , , , , .
- 1997b. Identification of a zinc-finger gene at 6q25: a chromosomal region implicated in development of many solid tumors. Oncogene 14: 1973–1979. , , , , , , .
- 1999. LOT1 is a growth suppressor gene down-regulated by the epidermal growth factor receptor ligands and encodes a nuclear zinc-finger protein. Oncogene 18: 6477–6487. , , .
- 2003. LOT1 (PLAGL1/ZAC1), the candidate tumor suppressor gene at chromosome 6q24–25, is epigenetically regulated in cancer. J Biol Chem 278: 6041–6049. , , , , , .
- 2005. Members of the Plag gene family are expressed in complementary and overlapping regions in the developing murine nervous system. Dev Dyn 234: 772–782. , , , .
- 2004. Tumour-suppressor function in the nervous system. Nat Rev Cancer 4: 184–196. , .
- 1999. Loss of expression of the candidate tumor suppressor gene ZAC in breast cancer cell lines and primary tumors. Oncogene 18: 3979–3988. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Alternative splicing of the imprinted candidate tumor suppressor gene ZAC regulates its antiproliferative and DNA binding activities. Oncogene 20: 1246–1253. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Math5 encodes a murine basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor expressed during early stages of retinal neurogenesis. Development 125: 4821–4833. , , , , , .
- 2004. The Runx genes: lineage-specific oncogenes and tumor suppressors. Oncogene 23: 4308–4314. , .
- 1996. Cell fate determination in the vertebrate retina. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 589–595. , , , , .
- 2004. Cell-specific effects of RB or RB/p107 loss on retinal development implicate an intrinsically death-resistant cell-of-origin in retinoblastoma. Cancer Cell 5: 539–551. , , , , , .
- 1987. Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal Biochem 162: 156–159. , .
- 2003. Developmental expression of the cell cycle and apoptosis controlling gene, Lot1, in the rat cerebellum and in cultures of cerebellar granule cells. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 142: 193–202. , , .
- 1998. A novel 4 cM minimal deletion unit on chromosome 6q25.1-q25.2 associated with high grade invasive epithelial ovarian carcinomas. Oncogene 16: 555–559. , , , , .
- 1997. Regulation of neuronal diversity in the Xenopus retina by Delta signalling. Nature 385: 67–70. , , , .
- 2000. p57(Kip2) regulates progenitor cell proliferation and amacrine interneuron development in the mouse retina. Development 127: 3593–3605. , .
- 2001. p27Kip1 and p57Kip2 regulate proliferation in distinct retinal progenitor cell populations. J Neurosci 21: 4259–4271. , .
- 2003. Prox1 function controls progenitor cell proliferation and horizontal cell genesis in the mammalian retina. Nat Genet 34: 53–58. , , , .
- 1994. Clonal analysis in the chicken retina reveals tangential dispersion of clonally related cells. Dev Biol 166: 666–682. , , , .
- 2000. An imprinted locus associated with transient neonatal diabetes mellitus. Hum Mol Genet 9: 589–596. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Negative regulation of neural stem/progenitor cell proliferation by the Pten tumor suppressor gene in vivo. Science 294: 2186–2189. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Retinal cell fate determination and bHLH factors. Semin Cell Dev Biol 15: 83–89. , .
- 2001. Roles of homeobox and bHLH genes in specification of a retinal cell type. Development 128: 1313–1322. , , , .
- 2003. Transcriptional activities of the zinc finger protein Zac are differentially controlled by DNA binding. Mol Cell Biol 23: 988–1003. , , , , , .
- 1988. Cellular determination in the Xenopus retina is independent of lineage and birth date. Neuron 1: 15–26. , , , .
- 1999. Retinal neurogenesis: the formation of the initial central patch of postmitotic cells. Dev Biol 207: 309–321. , .
- 2000. Mouse Zac1, a transcriptional coactivator and repressor for nuclear receptors. Mol Cell Biol 20: 1855–1867. , .
- 2001. Enhancement of p53-dependent gene activation by the transcriptional coactivator Zac1. Oncogene 20: 2134–2143. , , .
- 2002. Math3 and NeuroD regulate amacrine cell fate specification in the retina. Development 129: 831–842. , , , , , .
- 2000. The cell cycle control gene ZAC/PLAGL1 is imprinted—a strong candidate gene for transient neonatal diabetes. Hum Mol Genet 9: 453–460. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Xath5 participates in a network of bHLH genes in the developing Xenopus retina. Neuron 19: 981–994. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Transcriptional activation capacity of the novel PLAG family of zinc finger proteins. J Biol Chem 273: 23026–23032. , , , , .
- 2004. Loss of expression of ZAC/LOT1 in squamous cell carcinomas of head and neck. Head Neck 26: 338–344. , , , , , .
- 2004. Cell-intrinsic regulators of proliferation in vertebrate retinal progenitors. Semin Cell Dev Biol 15: 63–74. , .
- 2000. p27(Kip1) regulates cell cycle withdrawal of late multipotent progenitor cells in the mammalian retina. Dev Biol 219: 299–314. , , , , .
- 2001. Vertebrate neural cell-fate determination: lessons from the retina. Nat Rev Neurosci 2: 109–118. , .
- 2002. PTEN is essential for cell migration but not for fate determination and tumourigenesis in the cerebellum. Development 129: 3513–3522. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. A screen for downstream effectors of Neurogenin2 in the embryonic neocortex. Dev Biol 273: 373–389. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. A role for the fibroblast growth factor receptor in cell fate decisions in the developing vertebrate retina. Development 125: 3967–3975. , , .
- 1987. Fates of the blastomeres of the 16-cell stage Xenopus embryo. Dev Biol 119: 560–578. .
- 2002. Posttranslational mechanisms control the timing of bHLH function and regulate retinal cell fate. Neuron 34: 183–195. , , .
- 1999. NeuroD regulates multiple functions in the developing neural retina in rodent. Development 126: 23–36. , , , .
- 1994. Normal table of Xenopus laevis (Daudin). New York: Garland. , .
- 1999. p27Xic1, a Cdk inhibitor, promotes the determination of glial cells in Xenopus retina. Cell 99: 499–510. , , , , .
- 2000. The expression of the antiproliferative gene ZAC is lost or highly reduced in nonfunctioning pituitary adenomas. Cancer Res 60: 6794–6799. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. X-ngnr-1 and Xath3 promote ectopic expression of sensory neuron markers in the neurula ectoderm and have distinct inducing properties in the retina. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 14996–15001. , , , , .
- 2000. Zac1 (Lot1), a potential tumor suppressor gene, and the gene for epsilon-sarcoglycan are maternally imprinted genes: identification by a subtractive screen of novel uniparental fibroblast lines. Mol Cell Biol 20: 3308–3315. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Expression of voltage-dependent potassium channels in the developing visual system of Xenopus laevis. J Comp Neurol 452: 381–391. , , .
- 2004. Timing and topography of cell genesis in the rat retina. J Comp Neurol 474: 304–324. , , , , .
- 2002. The mouse Zac1 locus: basis for imprinting and comparison with human ZAC. Gene 292: 101–112. , , , , , .
- 1997. Regulation of apoptosis and cell cycle arrest by Zac1, a novel zinc finger protein expressed in the pituitary gland and the brain. EMBO J 16: 2814–2825. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Cell birthdays in Xenopus laevis retina. Differentiation 58: 189–193. , .
- 2004. Zinc finger protein Zac1 is expressed in chondrogenic sites of the mouse. Dev Dyn 229: 340–348. , , , , , .
- 1987. A common progenitor for neurons and glia persists in rat retina late in development. Nature 328: 131–136. , .
- 2001. Expression pattern of Zac1 mouse gene, a new zinc-finger protein that regulates apoptosis and cellular cycle arrest, in both adult brain and along development. Mech Dev 108: 207–211. , .
- 2005. Zac1 is expressed in progenitor/stem cells of the neuroectoderm and mesoderm during embryogenesis: differential phenotype of the Zac1-expressing cells during development. Dev Dyn 233: 667–679. , , .
- 1998. hZAC encodes a zinc finger protein with antiproliferative properties and maps to a chromosomal region frequently lost in cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 8835–8840. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The pros and cons of apoptosis assays for use in the study of cells, tissues, and organs. Microsc Microanal 8: 375–391. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Multipotent precursors can give rise to all major cell types of the frog retina. Science 239: 1142–1145. , .
- 1985. Cell differentiation in the retina of the mouse. Anat Rec 212: 199–205. .
- 2004. Rb regulates proliferation and rod photoreceptor development in the mouse retina. Nat Genet 36: 351–360. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Specification of the vertebrate eye by a network of eye field transcription factors. Development 130: 5155–5167. , , , , .