Ectopic expression of the homeobox gene Cux-1 rescues calcineurin inhibition in mouse embryonic kidney cultures
Article first published online: 27 OCT 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 1, pages 184–191, January 2007
How to Cite
Alcalay, N. I., Brantley, J. G., Sharma, M., Gooch, J. L. and Vanden Heuvel, G. B. (2007), Ectopic expression of the homeobox gene Cux-1 rescues calcineurin inhibition in mouse embryonic kidney cultures. Dev. Dyn., 236: 184–191. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21003
- Issue published online: 19 DEC 2006
- Article first published online: 27 OCT 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 SEP 2006
- NIH. Grant Numbers: DK-58377, DK066422
- 1996. DNA binding by cut homeodomain proteins is down-modulated by protein kinase C. J Biol Chem 271: 24862–24868. , , .
- 1998a. The mammalian cut homeodomain protein functions as a cell-cycle-dependent transcriptional repressor which downmodulates p21WAF1/CIP1/SDI1 in S phase. EMBO J 17: 4680–4694. , , .
- 1998b. DNA binding by cut homeodomain proteins is down-modulated by casein kinase II. J Biol Chem 273: 2561–2566. , , , , , .
- 1994. The human cut homeodomain protein represses transcription from the c-myc promoter. Mol Cell Biol 14: 4251–4257. , .
- 2004. Calcineurin A-alpha but not A-beta is required for normal kidney development and function. Am J Pathol 165: 1755–1765. , , , .
- 1997. Cux/CDP homeodomain protein binds to an enhancer in the rat c-mos locus and represses its activity. Biochim Biophys Acta 1351: 313–324. , , , , .
- 2002. Deregulated expression of the homeobox gene Cux-1 in transgenic mice results in downregulation of p27(kip1) expression during nephrogenesis, glomerular abnormalities, and multiorgan hyperplasia. Dev Biol 245: 157–71. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. The human cut homeodomain protein can repress gene expression by two distinct mechanisms: active repression and competition for binding site occupancy. Mol Cell Biol 16: 5346–5357. , , , , , .
- 1992. Molecular cloning of a calmodulin-dependent phosphatase from murine testis: identification of a developmentally expressed nonneural isoenzyme. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89: 529–533. , , , .
- 2001. Role of the multifunctional CDP/Cut/Cux homeodomain transcription factor in regulating differentiation, cell growth and development. Gene 270: 1–15. .
- 1978. Differentiation of epithelial foot processes and filtration slits: sequential appearance of occluding junctions, epithelial polyanion, and slit membranes in developing glomeruli. Lab Invest 39: 90–100. , , .
- 2000. Calcineurin: form and function. Physiol Rev 80: 1483–1521. , .
- 2004. Increased proliferation and apoptosis of mesangial cells isolated from Cux-1 transgenic mice. J Am Soc Nephrol 15: 497A , , , and .
- 2003. Cyclosporin A administration during pregnancy induces a permanent nephron deficit in young rabbits. J Am Soc Nephrol 14: 3188–3196. , , , , , .
- 1972. The house mouse: development and normal stages from fertilization to 4 weeks of age. New York: Springer Verlag. 168 p. .
- 1993. The mouse homeodomain protein Phox2 regulates Ncam promoter activity in concert with Cux/CDP and is a putative determinant of neurotransmitter phenotype. Development 119: 881–896. , , , , , .
- 1996. Expression of a cut-related homeobox gene in developing and polycystic mouse kidney. Kidney Int 50: 453–461. , , , .
- 1993. The mechanism of action of FK-506 and cyclosporin A. Ann N Y Acad Sci 696: 9–19. , , , , .
- 1996. Analysis of WT1 gene expression during mouse nephrogenesis in organ culture. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol 32: 496–504. , , , .