Patterns & Phenotypes
Expression of TM4SF10, a Claudin/EMP/PMP22 family cell junction protein, during mouse kidney development and podocyte differentiation
Version of Record online: 28 DEC 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 2, pages 596–605, February 2007
How to Cite
Bruggeman, L. A., Martinka, S. and Simske, J. S. (2007), Expression of TM4SF10, a Claudin/EMP/PMP22 family cell junction protein, during mouse kidney development and podocyte differentiation. Dev. Dyn., 236: 596–605. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21052
- Issue online: 10 JAN 2007
- Version of Record online: 28 DEC 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 NOV 2006
- NIH. Grant Number: DK61395
- 2003. Claudins in Caenorhabditis elegans: their distribution and barrier function in the epithelium. Curr Biol 13: 1042–1046. , , , , .
- 2001. Identification of the gene encoding Brain Cell Membrane Protein I (BCMPI), a putative four-transmembrane protein distantly related to the Peripheral Myelin Protein 22/Epithelial Membrane Proteins and the Claudins. BMC Genomics 2: 3. , , , .
- 2003. Mice lacking the giant protocadherin mFAT1 exhibit renal slit junction abnormalities and a partially penetrant cyclopia and anophthalmia phenotype. Mol Cell Biol 23: 3575–3582. , , , .
- 2002. Claudins create charge-selective channels in the paracellular pathway between epithelial cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 283: C142–C147. , , , , .
- 2000. Cloning and expression throughout mouse development of mfat1, a homologue of the Drosophila tumour suppressor gene fat. Dev Dyn 217: 233–240. , , , .
- 2002. Genetic dissection of cadherin function during nephrogenesis. Mol Cell Biol 22: 1474–1487. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Proteinuria and perinatal lethality in mice lacking NEPH1, a novel protein with homology to NEPHRIN. Mol Cell Biol 21: 4829–4836. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The carboxyl terminus of Neph family members binds to the PDZ domain protein zonula occludens-1. J Biol Chem 278: 13417–13421. , , , , , , , , .
- 1976. Junctions in developing human and rat kidney: a freeze-fracture study. J Ultrastruct Res 56: 202–214. , , , .
- 2005. Cultured podocytes establish a size-selective barrier regulated by specific signaling pathways and demonstrate synchronized barrier assembly in a calcium switch model of junction formation. J Am Soc Nephrol 16: 1593–1602. , , .
- 2003. Actin filament organization of foot processes in rat podocytes. J Histochem Cytochem 51: 1589–1600. , , .
- 1993. The 220-kD protein colocalizing with cadherins in non-epithelial cells is identical to ZO-1, a ight junction-associated protein in epithelial cells: cDNA cloning and immunoelectron microscopy. J Cell Biol 121: 491–502. , , , , .
- 1997. Involvement of ZO-1 in cadherin-based cell adhesion through its direct binding to alpha catenin and actin filaments. J Cell Biol 138: 181–192. , , , .
- 2000. Mutations in ACTN4, encoding alpha-actinin-4, cause familial focal segmental glomerulosclerosis. Nat Genet 24: 251–256. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1975. Substructure of the glomerular slit diaphragm in freeze-fractured normal rat kidney. J Cell Biol 65: 233–236. , .
- 1978. Polycation-induced dislocation of slit diaphragms and formation of cell junctions in rat kidney glomeruli: the effects of low temperature, divalent cations, colchicine, and cytochalasin B. Lab Invest 39: 430–440. .
- 1998. Positionally cloned gene for a novel glomerular protein—nephrin—is mutated in congenital nephrotic syndrome. Mol Cell 1: 575–582. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Differential expression patterns of claudins, tight junction membrane proteins, in mouse nephron segments. J Am Soc Nephrol 13: 875–886. , , , , , .
- 2003. Podocyte differentiation and glomerulogenesis. J Am Soc Nephrol 14: 806–814. .
- 1992. The altered glomerular filtration slits seen in puromycin aminonucleoside nephrosis and protamine sulfate-treated rats contain the tight junction protein ZO-1. Am J Pathol 141: 805–816. , , , .
- 2002. CD2-associated protein directly interacts with the actin cytoskeleton. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 283: F734–F743. , , .
- 1991. Podocytes in the glomerulus of rat kidney express a characteristic 44 kD protein. J Histochem Cytochem 39: 1047–1056. , , .
- 1997. Rearrangements of the cytoskeleton and cell contacts induce process formation during differentiation of conditionally immortalized mouse podocyte cell lines. Exp Cell Res 236: 248–258. , , , , , , .
- 1996. In vivo gene delivery and stable transduction of nondividing cells by a lentiviral vector. Science 272: 263–267. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Interaction of two actin-binding proteins, synaptopodin and alpha-actinin-4, with the tight junction protein MAGI-1. J Biol Chem 277: 30183–30190. , , , , .
- 2003. Cell biology of the glomerular podocyte. Physiol Rev 83: 253–307. , , .
- 1998. Biogenesis of polarized epithelial cells during kidney development in situ: roles of E-cadherin-mediated cell–cell adhesion and membrane cytoskeleton organization. Mol Biol Cell 9: 3161–3177. , .
- 1999. Expression of the rat homologue of the Drosophila fat tumour suppressor gene. Mech Dev 80: 207–212. , , , .
- 1975. Intercellular junctions in podocytes of the nephrotic glomerulus as seen with freeze-fracture. Lab Invest 33: 209–218. , , , , .
- 1978. Differentiation of epithelial foot processes and filtration slits: sequential appearance of occluding junctions, epithelial polyanion, and slit membranes in developing glomeruli. Lab Invest 39: 90–100. , , .
- 2000. The glomerular slit diaphragm is a modified adherens junction. J Am Soc Nephrol 11: 1–8. , , , .
- 2002. Podocin localizes in the kidney to the slit diaphragm area. Am J Pathol 160: 131–139. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Role of nephrin in cell junction formation in human nephrogenesis. Am J Pathol 157: 1905–1916. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. A conditionally immortalized human podocyte cell line demonstrating nephrin and podocin expression. J Am Soc Nephrol 13: 630–638. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Podocin, a raft-associated component of the glomerular slit diaphragm, interacts with CD2AP and nephrin. J Clin Invest 108: 1621–1629. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Congenital nephrotic syndrome in mice lacking CD2-associated protein. Science 286: 312–315. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The cell junction protein VAB-9 regulates adhesion and epidermal morphology in C. elegans. Nat Cell Biol 5: 619–625. , , , , , .
- 2000. Statistical analysis of the 5′ untranslated region of human mRNA using “Oligo-Capped” cDNA libraries. Genomics 64: 286–297. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. aPKC kinase activity is required for the asymmetric differentiation of the premature junctional complex during epithelial cell polarization. J Cell Sci 115: 3565–3573. , , , , , .
- 1994. Spatiotemporal expression of molecules associated with junctional complexes during the in vivo maturation of renal podocytes. Int J Dev Biol 38: 45–54. , , , .
- 2003. Localization of intercellular adherens junction protein p120 catenin during podocyte differentiation. Anat Embryol (Berl) 206: 175–184. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Claudins and epithelial paracellular transport. Annu Rev Physiol 68: 403–429. , .
- 2000. Directed actin polymerization is the driving force for epithelial cell–cell adhesion. Cell 100: 209–219. , , , .
- 2004. Nephrin strands contribute to a porous slit diaphragm scaffold as revealed by electron tomography. J Clin Invest 114: 1475–1483. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Expression of claudin-7 and -8 along the mouse nephron. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 286: F1063–F1071. , , .
- 2002. Cadherin and catenin staining in podocytes in development and puromycin aminonucleoside nephrosis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 17(Suppl 9): 16–19. , , , , .
- 1995. Cell-to-cell adherens junction formation and actin filament organization: similarities and differences between non-polarized fibroblasts and polarized epithelial cells. J Cell Sci 108: 127–142. , , , .
- 2002. Podocyte slit-diaphragm protein nephrin is linked to the actin cytoskeleton. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 282: F585–F591. , , .