The oxidizing enzyme CYP26a1 tightly regulates the availability of retinoic acid in the gastrulating mouse embryo to ensure proper head development and vasculogenesis
Article first published online: 8 JAN 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 3, pages 644–653, March 2007
How to Cite
Ribes, V., Fraulob, V., Petkovich, M. and Dollé, P. (2007), The oxidizing enzyme CYP26a1 tightly regulates the availability of retinoic acid in the gastrulating mouse embryo to ensure proper head development and vasculogenesis. Dev. Dyn., 236: 644–653. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21057
- Issue published online: 22 FEB 2007
- Article first published online: 8 JAN 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 DEC 2006
- Hôpitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg
- Ministère Français de la Recherche. Grant Number: ACI 03-2-490
- Collège de France
- Institut Universitaire de France
- 2001. The retinoic acid-metabolizing enzyme, CYP26A1, is essential for normal hindbrain patterning, vertebral identity, and development of posterior structures. Genes Dev 15: 226–240. , , , , , .
- 2003. Developing with lethal RA levels: genetic ablation of Rarg can restore the viability of mice lacking Cyp26a1. Development 130: 1449–1459. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Extracellular regulation of BMP signaling in vertebrates: a cocktail of modulators. Dev Biol 250: 231–250. , .
- 1998. Anterior patterning in mouse. Trends Genet 14: 277–284. , .
- 2003. Retinoic acid signalling centres in the avian embryo identified by sites of expression of synthesising and catabolising enzymes. Dev Dyn 227: 114–127. , , .
- 2004. Signaling hierarchy downstream of retinoic acid that independently regulates vascular remodeling and endothelial cell proliferation. Genes Dev 18 1345–1358. , , , .
- 1992. Exogenous retinoic acid rapidly induces anterior ectopic expression of murine Hox-2 genes in vivo. Development 116: 357–368. , .
- 2004. Opposing FGF and retinoid pathways: a signalling switch that controls differentiation and patterning onset in the extending vertebrate body axis. Bioessays 26: 857–869. , .
- 2003. Opposing FGF and retinoid pathways control ventral neural pattern, neuronal differentiation, and segmentation during body axis extension. Neuron 40: 65–79. , , , , , .
- 2001. Hindbrain patterning involves graded responses to retinoic acid signalling. Development 128: 2199–2208. , .
- 1989. Retinoic acid causes an anteroposterior transformation in the developing central nervous system. Nature 340: 140–144. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Deletion of selection cassette but not cis-acting elements in targeted Flk1-lacZ allele reveals Flk1 expression in multipotent mesodermal progenitors. Blood 107: 111–117. , , .
- 2005. Retinoic acid-metabolizing enzyme Cyp26a1 is essential for determining territories of hindbrain and spinal cord in zebrafish. Dev Biol 278: 415–427. , , , , .
- 1997. The prechordal region lacks neural inducing ability, but can confer anterior character to more posterior neuroepithelium. Development 124: 2983–2996. , , .
- 2000. Reconciling different models of forebrain induction and patterning: a dual role for the hypoblast. Development 127: 3839–3854. , , .
- 1997. Metabolic inactivation of retinoic acid by a novel P450 differentially expressed in developing mouse embryos. EMBO J 16: 4163–4173. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Hindbrain respecification in the retinoid-deficient quail. Mech Dev 89: 43–54. , , .
- 2003. A novel role for retinoids in patterning the avian forebrain during presomite stages. Development 130: 2039–2050. , , .
- 1991. Retinoic acid modifies development of the midbrain-hindbrain border and affects cranial ganglion formation in zebrafish embryos. Development 113: 1159–1170. , .
- 2003. Secreted antagonists of the Wnt signalling pathway. J Cell Sci 116: 2627–2634. , .
- 2004. Modulation of signalling by Sprouty: a developing story. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 5: 441–450. , .
- 2000. Visceral endoderm mediates forebrain development by suppressing posteriorizing signals. Dev Biol 225: 304–321. , , , , , .
- 1999. Head-organizing activities of endodermal tissues in vertebrates. Cell Mol Biol 45: 481–492. , , .
- 2001. Active repression of RAR signaling is required for head formation. Genes Dev 15: 2111–2121. , , , , .
- 2002. Distinct roles for Fgf, Wnt and retinoic acid in posteriorizing the neural ectoderm. Development 129: 4335–4346. , , .
- 2003. Retinoic acid regulates endothelial cell proliferation during vasculogenesis. Development 130: 6465–6474. , , , .
- 2001. Regulation of retinoic acid metabolism. Adv Enzyme Regul 41: 159–175. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Cloning of a novel retinoic-acid metabolizing cytochrome P450, Cyp26B1, and comparative expression analysis with Cyp26A1 during early murine development. Mech Dev 107: 195–201. , , , , , .
- 1999. Convergent inductive signals specify midbrain, hindbrain, and spinal cord identity in gastrula stage chick embryos. Neuron 23: 689–702. , , , , .
- 1997. Restricted expression and retinoic acid-induced downregulation of the retinaldehyde dehydrogenase type 2 (RALDH-2) gene during mouse development. Mech Dev 62: 67–78. , , , , .
- 2000. Retinoic acid synthesis and hindbrain patterning in the mouse embryo. Development 127: 75–85. , , , , .
- 2002a. Retinaldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (RALDH2)- independent patterns of retinoic acid synthesis in the mouse embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 16111–16116. , , , , .
- 2002b. Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is required for forelimb growth and anteroposterior patterning in the mouse. Development 129: 3563–3574. , , , , .
- 2002c. Genetic evidence that oxidative derivatives of retinoic acid are not involved in retinoid signaling during mouse development. Nat Genet 31: 84–88. , , , , , .
- 1954. Neural activation and transformation in explants of competent ectoderm under the influence of fragments of anterior notochord in urodeles. J Embryol Exp Morphol 2: 175–193. , .
- 1952. Activation and organization of the central nervous system in amphibians. J Exp Zool 120: 1–108. , , , , , , .
- 2006. An early role for Wnt signaling in specifying neural patterns of Cdx and Hox gene expression and motor neuron subtype identity. PLoS Biol 4: e252. [epub ahead of print]. , , , .
- 2003. Identification of novel roles of the cytochrome p450 system in early embryogenesis: effects on vasculogenesis and retinoic acid homeostasis. Mol Cell Biol 23: 6103–6116. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression of the retinoic acid catabolising enzyme CYP26B1 in the chick embryo and its regulation by retinoic acid. Gene Express Patterns 3: 621–627. , , .
- 2005. The control of morphogen signalling: regulation of the synthesis and catabolism of retinoic acid in the developing embryo. Dev Biol 285: 224–237. , , , .
- 2006. Rescue of cytochrome P450 oxidoreductase (Por) mouse mutants reveals functions in vasculogenesis, brain and limb patterning linked to retinoic acid homeostasis. Dev Biol [epub ahead of print]. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Expression of a retinoic acid response element-hsplacZ transgene defines specific domains of transcriptional activity during mouse embryogenesis. Genes Dev 5: 1333–1344. , , , , .
- 2001. The retinoic acid-inactivating enzyme CYP26 is essential for establishing an uneven distribution of retinoic acid along the anterio-posterior axis within the mouse embryo. Genes Dev 15: 213–225. , , , , , , , .
- 2003.. Direct and concentration-dependent regulation of the proneural gene Neurogenin2 by Pax6. Development 130: 3269–3281. , , , , .
- 1995. Retinoic acid induces stage-specific antero-posterior transformation of rostral central nervous system. Mech Dev 51: 83–98. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Identification of a retinoic acid-sensitive period during primary axis formation in Xenopus laevis. Genes Dev 4: 932–942. , , , .
- 2001. Initial patterning of the central nervous system: how many organizers? Nat Rev Neurosci 2: 92–98. .
- 1999. Complementary domains of retinoic acid production and degradation in the early chick embryo. Dev Biol 216: 282–296. , , , , , .
- 2006. CYP26A1 and CYP26C1 cooperatively regulate anterior-posterior patterning of the developing brain and the production of migratory cranial neural crest cells in the mouse. Dev Biol [epub ahead of print]. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Identification of endogenous retinoids, enzymes, binding proteins, and receptors during early postimplantation development in mouse: important role of retinal dehydrogenase type 2 in synthesis of all-trans-retinoic acid. Dev Biol 220: 379–391. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Retinoic acid in the formation of the dorsoventral retina and its central projections. Dev Biol 222: 460–470. , , .
- 1997. cDNA cloning of human retinoic acid-metabolizing enzyme (hP450RAI) identifies a novel family of cytochromes P450. J Biol Chem 272: 18538–18541. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Specific teratogenic effects of different retinoic acid isomers and analogs in the developing anterior central nervous system of zebrafish. Dev Dyn 206: 73–86. , , , , .