This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
Socs 3 modulates the activity of the transcription factor Stat3 in mammary tissue and controls alveolar homeostasis†
Article first published online: 4 JAN 2007
Published 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 3, pages 654–661, March 2007
How to Cite
Robinson, G. W., Pacher-Zavisin, M., Zhu, B. M., Yoshimura, A. and Hennighausen, L. (2007), Socs 3 modulates the activity of the transcription factor Stat3 in mammary tissue and controls alveolar homeostasis. Dev. Dyn., 236: 654–661. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21058
- Issue published online: 22 FEB 2007
- Article first published online: 4 JAN 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 DEC 2006
- Intramural Program of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, NIH
- Austrian Ministry of Education, Science, and the Arts (GEN-AU)
- 1999. Suppression of epithelial apoptosis and delayed mammary gland involution in mice with a conditional knockout of Stat3. Genes Dev 13: 2604–2616. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Inactivation of Stat5 in mouse mammary epithelium during pregnancy reveals distinct functions in cell proliferation, survival, and differentiation. Mol Cell Biol 24: 8037–8047. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Cytokine-inducible SH2-containing protein suppresses PRL signaling by binding the PRL receptor. Endocrinology 142: 5286–5293. , , , , .
- 2001. Prolactin, growth hormone, and epidermal growth factor activate Stat5 in different compartments of mammary tissue and exert different and overlapping developmental effects. Dev Biol 229: 163–175. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Socs2 and elf5 mediate prolactin-induced mammary gland development. Mol Endocrinol 20: 1177–1187. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Information networks in the mammary gland. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 6: 715–725. , .
- 2002. Deletion of Stat3 blocks mammary gland involution and extends functional competence of the secretory epithelium in the absence of lactogenic stimuli. Endocrinology 143: 3641–3650. , , , , , .
- 2005. SOCS3 promotes apoptosis of mammary differentiated cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 338: 1696–1701. , , , , , .
- 2001. SOCS1 deficiency results in accelerated mammary gland development and rescues lactation in prolactin receptor-deficient mice. Genes Dev 15: 1631–1636. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Activation of Stat5a and Stat5b by tyrosine phosphorylation is tightly linked to mammary gland differentiation. Mol Endocrinol 10: 1496–1506. , , .
- 1997. Stat5a is mandatory for adult mammary gland development and lactogenesis. Genes Dev 11: 179–186. , , , , , .
- 1999. SOCS3 is essential in the regulation of fetal liver erythropoiesis. Cell 98: 617–627. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Suppression of STAT5 functions in liver, mammary glands, and T cells in cytokine-inducible SH2-containing protein 1 transgenic mice. Mol Cell Biol 19: 6396–6407. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Structure of the mouse Stat 3/5 locus: evolution from Drosophila to zebrafish to mouse. Genomics 71: 150–155. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Heterogeneous inducible mammary-specific expression of Jab/SOCS1 in lactating transgenic mice is associated with no obvious phenotype, even at the cellular level. Transgenic Res 12: 693–706. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Placental defects and embryonic lethality in mice lacking suppressor of cytokine signaling 3. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 9324–9329. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Mammary epithelial cells undergo secretory differentiation in cycling virgins but require pregnancy for the establishment of terminal differentiation. Development 121: 2079–2090. , , , .
- 2000. CIS3/SOCS-3 suppresses erythropoietin (EPO) signaling by binding the EPO receptor and JAK2. J Biol Chem 275: 29338–29347. , , , , , .
- 2003. Proteotyping of mammary tissue from transgenic and gene knockout mice with immunohistochemical markers: a tool to define developmental lesions. J Histochem Cytochem 51: 555–565. , , , , , , .
- 2006. c-myc as mediator of accelerated apoptosis and involution in mammary glands lacking Socs3. EMBO J 25: 5805–5815. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Regulation and function of the cytokine-inducible SH-2 domain proteins, CIS and SOCS3, in mammary epithelial cells. Mol Endocrinol 16: 1680–1695. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Cre-mediated gene deletion in the mammary gland. Nucleic Acids Res 25: 4323–4330. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Spatial and temporal expression of the Cre gene under the control of the MMTV-LTR in different lines of transgenic mice. Transgenic Res 10: 545–553. , , , , , .
- 2003. IL-6 induces an anti-inflammatory response in the absence of SOCS3 in macrophages. Nat Immunol 4: 551–556. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Negative regulation of cytokine signaling and immune responses by SOCS proteins. Arthritis Res Ther 7: 100–110. , , , .
- 2002. Loss of interleukin 6 results in delayed mammary gland involution: a possible role for mitogen-activated protein kinase and not signal transducer and activator of transcription 3. Mol Endocrinol 16: 2902–2912. , , .
- 2004. Mammary gland remodeling depends on gp130 signaling through Stat3 and MAPK. J Biol Chem 279: 44093–44100. , , , , , , , , , , , .