Drs. Bani-Yaghoub and Kubu contributed equally to this work.
A switch in numb isoforms is a critical step in cortical development
Article first published online: 25 JAN 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 3, pages 696–705, March 2007
How to Cite
Bani-Yaghoub, M., Kubu, C. J., Cowling, R., Rochira, J., Nikopoulos, G. N., Bellum, S. and Verdi, J. M. (2007), A switch in numb isoforms is a critical step in cortical development. Dev. Dyn., 236: 696–705. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21072
- Issue published online: 22 FEB 2007
- Article first published online: 25 JAN 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 DEC 2007
- NIH. Grant Number: RR18789
- Medical Research Council
- Alzheimer's Society of Canada
- IGERT Predoctoral Training in Functional Genomics of Model Organisms, University of Maine, Orono, Maine
- 2006. Notch signalling regulates stem cell numbers in vitro and in vivo. Nature 442: 823–826. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Role of Sox2 in the development of the mouse neocortex. Dev Biol 295: 52–66. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The RNA-binding protein Musashi-1 regulates neural development through the translational repression of p21(WAF-1). Mol Cell Neurosci 31: 85–96. , , , .
- 1996. Numb diverts notch pathway off the tramtrack. Neuron 17: 1–4. .
- 2005. Induction of tumor growth by altered stem-cell asymmetric division in Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Genet 37: 1125–1129. , .
- 2002. Numb modifies neuronal vulnerability to amyloid beta-peptide in an isoform-specific manner by a mechanism involving altered calcium homeostasis: implications for neuronal death in Alzheimer's disease. Neuromolecular Med 1: 55–67. , , , .
- 2002. The regulation of Notch signaling controls satellite cell activation and cell fate determination in postnatal myogenesis. Dev Cell 3: 397–409. , .
- 2005. Notch to remember. Trends Neurosci 28: 429–435. , , .
- 2003. Involvement of numb in vertebrate retinal development: evidence for multiple roles of numb in neural differentiation and maturation. J Neurobiol 54: 313–325. , , , .
- 2000. rax, Hes1, and notch1 promote the formation of Muller glia by postnatal retinal progenitor cells. Neuron 26: 383–394. , , , , .
- 1999. Vesicular stomatitis virus G pseudotyped retrovector mediates effective in vivo suicide gene delivery in experimental brain cancer. Cancer Res 59: 2384–2394. , , , , , .
- 2003. Delta-Notch signaling controls the generation of neurons/glia from neural stem cells in a stepwise process. Development 130: 1391–1402. , , , , , .
- 2006. Notch controls proliferation and differentiation of stem cells in a dose-dependent manner. Eur J Neurosci 24: 1504. , .
- 1996. Control of daughter cell fates during asymmetric division: interaction of Numb and Notch. Neuron 17: 27–41. , , .
- 2002. Notch pathway molecules are essential for the maintenance, but not the generation, of mammalian neural stem cells. Genes Dev 16: 846–858. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Targeted deletion of numb and numblike in sensory neurons reveals their essential functions in axon arborization. Genes Dev 19: 138–151. , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Retinoic acid-induced neural differentiation of embryonal carcinoma cells. Mol Cell Biol 3: 2271–2279. , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 1994. MASH-1: a marker and a mutation for mammalian neural crest development. Perspect Dev Neurobiol 2: 191–201. , , , .
- 1982. Control of muscle and neuronal differentiation in a cultured embryonal carcinoma cell line. Nature 299: 165–167. , , , .
- 1995. Strategies for the generation of neuronal diversity in the developing central nervous system. J Neurosci 15: 6987–6998. .
- 2000. Developmental changes in progenitor cell responsiveness to bone morphogenetic proteins differentially modulate progressive CNS lineage fate. Dev Neurosci 22: 74–85. , , , , .
- 2001. Neuronal potential and lineage determination by neural stem cells. Curr Opin Cell Biol 13: 666–672. .
- 2000. Transient Notch activation initiates an irreversible switch from neurogenesis to gliogenesis by neural crest stem cells. Cell 101: 499–510. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Numb isoforms containing a short PTB domain promote neurotrophic factor-induced differentiation and neurotrophic factor withdrawal-induced death of PC12 Cells. J Neurochem 82: 976–986. , , , , , .
- 2002. Progenitor cell maintenance requires numb and numblike during mouse neurogenesis. Nature 419: 929–934. , , , , .
- 2004. Continuing role for mouse Numb and Numbl in maintaining progenitor cells during cortical neurogenesis. Nat Neurosci 7: 803–811. , , , .
- 1998. Intrinsic programs of patterned cell lineages in isolated vertebrate CNS ventricular zone cells. Development 125: 3143–3152. , , , , .
- 2000. Nuclear Notch1 signaling and the regulation of dendritic development. Nat Neurosci 3: 30–40. , , , , .
- 1989. Cell lines with developmental potential restricted to mesodermal lineages isolated from differentiating cultures of pluripotential P19 embryonal carcinoma cells. Development 107: 361–372. , , .
- 1999. Contact-dependent inhibition of cortical neurite growth mediated by notch signaling. Science 286: 741–746. , , .
- 2002. Asymmetric cell division of mouse cerebral cortical stem cells and neuroblasts. Development 129: 4843–4853. , , , .
- 2001. Soluble Jagged 1 represses the function of its transmembrane form to induce the formation of the Src-dependent chord-like phenotype. J Biol Chem 276: 32022–32030. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Notch activation suppresses fibroblast growth factor-dependent cellular transformation. J Biol Chem 278: 16405–16413. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Numb antagonizes Notch signaling to specify sibling neuron cell fates. Neuron 17: 21–26. , .
- 2001. Notch1 and Notch3 instructively restrict bFGF-responsive multipotent neural progenitor cells to an astroglial fate. Neuron 29: 45–55. , , , , , .
- 2005. Phosphorylation of numb family proteins: possible involvement of Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinases. J Biol Chem 280: 35108–35118. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Neurotrophins regulate sequential changes in neurotrophin receptor expression by sympathetic neuroblasts. Neuron 13: 1359–1372. , .
- 1996. Mammalian NUMB is an evolutionarily conserved signaling adapter protein that specifies cell fate. Curr Biol 6: 1134–1145. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Distinct human NUMB isoforms regulate differentiation vs. proliferation in the neuronal lineage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 10472–10476. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Fate determination of neural crest cells by NOTCH-mediated lateral inhibition and asymmetrical cell division during gangliogenesis. Development 127: 2811–2821. , , .
- 2005. Notch signaling in the mammalian central nervous system: insights from mouse mutants. Nat Neurosci 8: 709–715. , .
- 2000. Mouse numb is an essential gene involved in cortical neurogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 6844–6849. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Multiple roles of mouse Numb in tuning developmental cell fates. Curr Biol 11: 494–501. , , , , , , , .