Aberrant Bmp signaling and notochord delamination in the pathogenesis of esophageal atresia
Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 3, pages 746–754, March 2007
How to Cite
Li, Y., Litingtung, Y., Ten Dijke, P. and Chiang, C. (2007), Aberrant Bmp signaling and notochord delamination in the pathogenesis of esophageal atresia. Dev. Dyn., 236: 746–754. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21075
- Issue online: 22 FEB 2007
- Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JAN 2007
- National Institutes of Health
- Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research. Grant Number: NWO 916
- 2000. The contribution of the adriamycin-induced rat model of the VATER association to our understanding of congenital abnormalities and their embryogenesis. Pediatr Surg Int 16: 465–472. , , , , .
- 2005. Genetic players in esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula. Curr Opin Genet Dev 15: 341–347. , .
- 1999. Esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula. Am Fam Physician 59: 910–916, 919–920. .
- 2001. Notochord patterning of the endoderm. Dev Biol 234: 1–12. , .
- 1998. Common pediatric esophageal disorders. Gastroenterologist 6: 104–121. , .
- 1996. A new rodent experimental model of esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula: preliminary report. J Pediatr Surg 31: 498–502. , , , .
- 1997. Overlapping expression domains of bone morphogenetic protein family members potentially account for limited tissue defects in BMP7 deficient embryos. Dev Dyn 208: 349–362. , .
- 1995. Analysis of morbidity and mortality in 227 cases of esophageal atresia and/or tracheoesophageal fistula over two decades. Arch Surg 130: 502–508; discussion 508–509. , , , , .
- 1981. Esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula. Review of thirteen years' experience. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 81: 358–363. , .
- 2004. Acquired tracheo-esophageal fistulas caused by button battery lodged in the esophagus. Pediatr Surg Int 20: 292–294. , , , , .
- 2002. Dorsoventral patterning in oesophageal atresia with tracheo-oesophageal fistula: Evidence from a new mouse model. J Pediatr Surg 37: 185–191. , , , , .
- 1974. Some aspects of the development of the notochord in mouse embryos. J Embryol Exp Morphol 32: 1–33. .
- 2001. The organizer of the mouse gastrula is composed of a dynamic population of progenitor cells for the axial mesoderm. Development 128: 3623–3634. , , , , , , .
- 1987. The lining of the gut in the developing rat embryo. Its relation to the hypoblast (primary endoderm) and the notochord. Anat Embryol (Berl) 176: 259–265. , , .
- 2004. Sonic hedgehog signaling regulates Gli3 processing, mesenchymal proliferation, and differentiation during mouse lung organogenesis. Dev Biol 270: 214–231. , , , , .
- 2006. Cholesterol modification restricts the spread of Shh gradient in the limb bud. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 6548–6553. , , , .
- 1998. Sonic hedgehog is essential to foregut development. Nat Genet 20: 58–61. , , , .
- 1995. BMP-7 is an inducer of nephrogenesis, and is also required for eye development and skeletal patterning. Genes Dev 9: 2808–2820. , , , , , .
- 1995. Colocalization of BMP 7 and BMP 2 RNAs suggests that these factors cooperatively mediate tissue interactions during murine development. Mech Dev 50: 71–83. , , .
- 1998. Noggin-mediated antagonism of BMP signaling is required for growth and patterning of the neural tube and somite. Genes Dev 12: 1438–1452. , , , , , .
- 1994. Function of the retinoic acid receptors (RARs) during development (II). Multiple abnormalities at various stages of organogenesis in RAR double mutants. Development 120: P2749–2771. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Defects in tracheoesophageal and lung morphogenesis in Nkx2.1(−/−) mouse embryos. Dev Biol 209: 60–71. , , , , .
- 2004. Adriamycin induces notochord hypertrophy with conservation of sonic hedgehog expression in abnormal ectopic notochord in the adriamycin rat model. J Pediatr Surg 39: 859–863. , , , , .
- 1998. Essential function of Gli2 and Gli3 in the formation of lung, trachea and oesophagus. Nat Genet 20: 54–57. , , , , , .
- 2003. The prechordal plate, the rostral end of the notochord and nearby median features in staged human embryos. Cells Tissues Organs 173: 1–20. , .
- 1995. Characterization and developmental expression of Pax9, a paired-box-containing gene related to Pax1. Dev Biol 170: 701–716. , , .
- 2001. Mechanisms for the development of esophageal atresia. J Pediatr Surg 36: 985–994. , , , .
- 2001. Tracheoesophageal fistula: case report and review of literature. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 55: 273–278. , , , .
- 1998. Sonic hedgehog regulates branching morphogenesis in the mammalian lung. Curr Biol 8: 1083–1086. , , .
- 1999. Notochord involvement in experimental esophageal atresia. Pediatr Surg Int 15: 201–205. , , , .
- 1999. Relationship of the notochord to foregut development in the fetal rat model of esophageal atresia. J Pediatr Surg 34: 1593–1598. , .
- 2001. Evidence of a common pathogenesis for foregut duplications and esophageal atresia with tracheo-esophageal fistula. Anat Rec 264: 93–100. , , .
- 2006. Morphogenesis of the trachea and esophagus: current players and new roles for noggin and Bmps. Differentiation 74: 422–437. , , , , .
- 2003. Tracheoesophageal fistula. Chest Surg Clin N Am 13: 271–289. , .
- 1994. Quantitative analyses of cell behaviors underlying notochord formation and extension in mouse embryos. Anat Rec 239: 103–112. , .
- 2000. Esophageal atresia in the Northern Region Congenital Anomaly Survey, 1985–1997: prenatal diagnosis and outcome. Am J Obstet Gynecol 182: 427–431. , , , .
- 2005. Structure and function of the notochord: an essential organ for chordate development. Development 132: 2503–2512. .
- 2003. The Sox9 transcription factor determines glial fate choice in the developing spinal cord. Genes Dev 17: 1677–1689. , , , , , .
- 1994. Morphogenesis of the murine node and notochordal plate. Dev Dyn 201: 260–278. , , , , , , .
- 1978. Teratogenicity of adriamycin and daunomycin in the rat and rabbit. Teratology 17: 151–157. , , , .
- 2005. MYCN haploinsufficiency is associated with reduced brain size and intestinal atresias in Feingold syndrome. Nat Genet 37: 465–467. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Bmp signaling regulates proximal-distal differentiation of endoderm in mouse lung development. Development 126: 4005–4015. , , , , .
- 1999. Vertebrate endoderm development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 15: 393–410. , .
- 2001. Demonstration of abnormal notochord development by three-dimensional reconstructive imaging in the rat model of esophageal atresia. Pediatr Surg Int 17: 21–24. , , .