Drs. Zuzarte-Luis and Montero contributed equally to this work.
Patterns & Phenotypes
Cathepsin D gene expression outlines the areas of physiological cell death during embryonic development
Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 3, pages 880–885, March 2007
How to Cite
Zuzarte-Luis, V., Montero, J.A., Torre-Perez, N., Garcia-Porrero, J.A. and Hurle, J.M. (2007), Cathepsin D gene expression outlines the areas of physiological cell death during embryonic development. Dev. Dyn., 236: 880–885. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21076
- Issue online: 22 FEB 2007
- Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JAN 2007
- Spanish Education and Sciences Ministry. Grant Numbers: BFU2005-04210, BFU2005-04393/BMC
- 2006. Apoptosis in the developing mouse heart. Dev Dyn 235: 2592–2602. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Cathepsin D triggers Bax activation, resulting in selective apoptosis-inducing factor (AIF) relocation in T lymphocytes entering the early commitment phase to apoptosis. J Biol Chem 278: 31401–31411. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Adaptive roles of programmed cell death during nervous system development. Annu Rev Neurosci 29: 1–35. , , .
- 1995. Fibroblast growth factors induce additional limb development from the flank of chick embryos. Cell 80: 739–746. , , , , .
- 2006. Birth and death of cells in limb development: a mapping study. Dev Dyn 235: 2521–2537. , , .
- 1979. Cell death during detachment of the lens rudiment from ectoderm in the chick embryo. Anat Rec 193: 791–804. , , .
- 1984. The mechanisms of cell death and phagocytosis in the early chick lens morphogenesis: a scanning electron microscopy and cytochemical approach. Anat Rec 208: 123–136. , , .
- 1951. Cell death in normal vertebrate ontogeny. Biol Rev 26: 59–86. .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1998. Programmed cell death during Xenopus development: a spatio-temporal analysis. Dev Biol 203: 36–48. , .
- 1986. Vital staining for cell death in chick limb buds: a histochemical technique in the analysis of control of limb development. Acta Histochem Suppl 32: 159–164. , .
- 1978. Cell death in the posterior necrotic zone (PNZ) of the chick wing-bud: a stereoscan and ultrastructural survey of autolysis and cell fragmentation. J Embryol Exp Morphol 43: 123–136. , .
- 1979. Cell death during the development of the truncus and conus of the chick embryo heart. J Anat 129: 427–439. , .
- 1977. Cytological and cytochemical studies of the necrotic area of the bulbus of the chick embryo heart: phagocytosis by developing myocardial cells. J Embryol Exp Morphol 41: 161–173. , , .
- 1978. In vivo phagocytosis by developing myocardial cells: an ultrastructural study. J Cell Sci 33: 363–369. , , .
- 1998. A role for caspases in lens fiber differentiation. J Cell Biol 140: 153–158. , , .
- 1992. A segmented pattern of cell death during development of the chick embryo. Anat Embryol (Berl) 185: 589–598. , .
- 2005. Lysosomes and autophagy in cell death control. Nat Rev Cancer 5: 886–897. , .
- 2006. NFATc1 expression in the developing heart valves is responsive to the RANKL pathway and is required for endocardial expression of cathepsin K. Dev Biol 292: 407–417. , .
- 2001a. Four deaths and a funeral: from caspases to alternative mechanisms. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2: 589–598. , .
- 2001b. Triggering of apoptosis by cathepsins. Cell Death Differ 8: 324–326. , .
- 1999. Bone morphogenetic proteins regulate interdigital cell death in the avian embryo. Ann N Y Acad Sci 887: 120–132. , , , , .
- 2006. Lysosomal, cytoskeletal, and metabolic alterations in cardiomyopathy of cathepsin L knockout mice. FASEB J 20: 1266–1268. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Induction of the LIM homeobox gene Lmx1 by WNT7a establishes dorsoventral pattern in the vertebrate limb. Cell 83: 631–640. , , , , , .
- 1997. Cell death in the avian sclerotome. Dev Biol 192: 551–563. .
- 1995. Programmed cell death in development. Int Rev Cytol 163: 105–173. , .
- 1962. Cellular death in morphogenesis of the avian wing. Dev Biol 5: 147–178. , ,
- 1998. Cathepsin B-mediated activation of the proinflammatory caspase-11. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 251: 379–387. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Spatiotemporal analysis of programmed cell death during mouse cardiac septation. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 277: 355–369. , , , .
- 2004. The development of the embryonic outflow tract provides novel insights into cardiac differentiation and remodeling. Trends Cardiovasc Med 14: 235–241. , , .
- 1998. Atractyloside-induced release of cathepsin B, a protease with caspase-processing activity. FEBS Lett 438: 150–158. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1980. Cell death: the significance of apoptosis. Int Rev Cytol 68: 251–306. , , .
- 2006. Divergence from a dedicated cellular suicide mechanism: exploring the evolution of cell death. Mol Cell 23: 1–12. .
- 1999. Apoptosis and morphology in mouse embryos by confocal laser scanning microscopy. Methods 18: 473–480. , , .
- 2002. Programmed cell death in the developing limb. Int J Dev Biol 46: 871–876. , .
- 2007. Lysosomal cathepsins in embryonic programmed cell death. Dev Biol 301: 205–217. , , , , .