Patterns & Phenotypes
MyoD and Myogenin expression during myogenic phases in brown trout: A precocious onset of mosaic hyperplasia is a prerequisite for fast somatic growth
Article first published online: 21 FEB 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 4, pages 1106–1114, April 2007
How to Cite
Steinbacher, P., Haslett, J.R., Obermayer, A., Marschallinger, J., Bauer, H.C., Sänger, A.M. and Stoiber, W. (2007), MyoD and Myogenin expression during myogenic phases in brown trout: A precocious onset of mosaic hyperplasia is a prerequisite for fast somatic growth. Dev. Dyn., 236: 1106–1114. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21103
- Issue published online: 15 MAR 2007
- Article first published online: 21 FEB 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JAN 2007
- Austrian Science Foundation (FWF). Grant Number: P16425
- 2001. Distinct mechanisms regulate slow-muscle development. Curr Biol 11: 1432–1438. , , , .
- 1988. Pattern and variety in development. In: HoarWS, RandallDJ, editors. Fish physiology. Vol. 11. The physiology of developing fish. New York: Academic Press. p 1–58. .
- 2005. Myosin heavy chain expression in zebrafish and slow muscle composition. Dev Dyn 233: 1018–1022. , , , , , .
- 2006. In situ hybridisation of a large repertoire of muscle-specific transcripts in fish larvae: the new superficial slow-twitch fibres exhibit characteristics of fast-twitch differentiation. J Exp Biol 209: 372–379. , , , .
- 2006. Differential effects of N-cadherin-mediated adhesion on the development of myotomal waves. Development 133: 1101–1112. , , .
- 1999. Differential expression of two nonallelic MyoD genes in developing and adult myotomal musculature of the trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Dev Genes Evol 209: 432–437. , .
- 1996. Identification of separate slow and fast muscle precursor cells in vivo, prior to somite formation. Development 122: 3371–3380. , , , .
- 2006. Generality of vertebrate developmental patterns: evidence for a dermomyotome in fish. Evol Dev 8: 101–110. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Selection against late emergence and small offspring in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Evolution Int J Org Evolution 54: 628–639. , .
- 1999. Muscle growth in yolk-sac larvae of the Atlantic halibut as influenced by temperature in the egg and yolk-sac stage. J Fish Biol 55: 26–43. , , .
- 1996. Cloning of a trout fast skeletal myosin heavy chain expressed both in embryo and adult muscle and in myotubes neoformed in vitro. Comp Biochem Physiol 115B: 183–190. , .
- 2004. Hedgehog regulation of superficial slow muscle fibres in Xenopus and the evolution of tetrapod trunk myogenesis. Development 131: 3249–3262. , , , , , .
- 2005. A common somitic origin for embryonic muscle progenitors and satellite cells. Nature 435: 954–958. , , , .
- 1997. Temperature and family effects on muscle cellularity at hatch and first feeding in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Can J Zool 75: 64–74. , .
- 1995. Myogenic cells in development and growth of fish. Comp Biochem Physiol 110A: 3–20. , .
- 1972. Histogenesis of white and red muscle fibres of trunk muscles of a fish Salmo gairdneri. Cytobios 6: 227–246. , .
- 2005. A Pax3/Pax7-dependent population of skeletal muscle progenitor cells. Nature 435: 948–953. , , , .
- 1995. A gene with homology to myogenin is expressed in developing myotomal musculature of the rainbow trout and in vitro during the conversion of myosatellite cells to myotubes. FEBS Lett 362: 89–92. , , .
- 2001. Red and white muscle development in the trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) as shown by in situ hybridisation of fast and slow myosin heavy chain transcripts. J Exp Biol 204: 2097–2101. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Cellular mechanisms of post-embryonic muscle growth in aquaculture species. In: JohnstonIA, editor. Fish physiology. Vol. 18. Muscle development and growth. San Diego: Academic Press. p 103–140. , .
- 1995. Differentiation and growth of muscle in the fish Sparus aurata (L): II. Hyperplastic and hypertrophic growth of lateral muscle from hatching to adult. J Muscle Res Cell Motil 16: 223–236. , , , .
- 2000. Whole-mount in situ hybridization. In: SiveHL, GraingerRM, HarlandRM, editors. Early development of Xenopus laevis. A laboratory manual. New York: Cold Spring Habor Laboratory Press. p 249–274. , , .
- 2006a. Evolution of myogenesis in fish: a sturgeon view of the mechanisms of muscle development. Anat Embryol (Berl) 211: 311–322. , , , .
- 2006b. Phases of myogenic cell activation and possible role of dermomyotome cells in teleost muscle formation. Dev Dyn 235: 3132–3143. , , , , , .
- 1988. The effect of temperature on myogenesis in embryonic development of the Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Anat Embryol (Berl) 178: 253–257. , , , , .
- 1996. An electron microscopic investigation into the possible source of new muscle fibres in teleost fish. Anat Embryol (Berl) 194: 569–579. , .
- 1998. Patterns of superficial fibre formation in the European pearlfish (Rutilus frisii meidingeri) provide a general template for slow muscle development in teleost fish. Anat Embryol (Berl) 197: 485–496. , , , .
- 2002. Tonic fibres in axial muscle of cyprinid fish larvae: their definition, possible origins and functional importance. Anat Embryol (Berl) 205: 113–124. , , , , .
- 2005. Selection on increased intrinsic growth rates in coho salmon, Oncorhynchus kisutch. Evolution Int J Org Evolution 59: 1560–1569. , , .
- 1990. Hyperplastic and hypertrophic growth of lateral muscle in Dicentrarchus labrax (L.): an ultrastructural and morphometric study. Anat Embryol (Berl) 182: 1–10. , , , .
- 1993. Muscle growth and myosin isoform transitions during development of a small teleost fish, Poecilia reticulata (Peters) (Atheriniformes, Poeciliidae): a histochemical, immunohistochemical, ultrastructural and morphometric study. Anat Embryol (Berl) 187: 353–361. , , , , .
- 1999. Early development of the myotome in the mouse. Dev Dyn 216: 219–232. , , .
- 1988. Recruitment and maximal diameter of axial muscle fibres in teleosts and their relationship to somatic growth and ultimate size. J Fish Biol 33: 851–859. , , .
- 1996. Developmental regulation of zebrafish MyoD in wild-type, no tail and spadetail embryos. Development 122: 271–280. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Molecular and cellular mechanisms involved in the generation of fiber diversity during myogenesis. Int Rev Cytol 216: 175–232. , .
- 1992. Whole mount in situ hybridization of vertebrate embryos. In: WilkinsonDG, editor. In situ hybridization: a practical approach. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p 75–83. .
- 2001. Lower environmental temperature delays and prolongs myogenic regulatory factor expression and muscle differentiation in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) embryos. Differentiation 68: 106–114. , , , , , .
- 2000. Asynchronous activation of 10 muscle-specific protein (MSP) genes during zebrafish somitogenesis. Dev Dyn 219: 201–215. , , , , .