Hyperoxia inhibits several critical aspects of vascular development
Version of Record online: 15 MAR 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 4, pages 981–990, April 2007
How to Cite
Uno, K., Merges, C. A., Grebe, R., Lutty, G. A. and Prow, T. W. (2007), Hyperoxia inhibits several critical aspects of vascular development. Dev. Dyn., 236: 981–990. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21122
- Issue online: 15 MAR 2007
- Version of Record online: 15 MAR 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 JAN 2007
- 1995. Vascular endothelial growth factor acts as a survival factor for newly formed retinal vessels and has implications for retinopathy of prematurity. Nat Med 1: 1024–1028. , , , , , .
- 1997. Biological roles of fibroblast growth factor-2. Endocr Rev 18: 26–45. , , , .
- 2004. Astrocyte-endothelial cell relationships during human retinal vascular development. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45: 2020–2032. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Effects of hyperoxia on microvascular cells in vitro. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol 23: 123–128. , .
- 1994. Staurosporine blocks cell progression through G1 between the cyclin D and cyclin E restriction points. Cancer Res 54: 3136–3139. , , .
- 2002. Effects of sustained hyperoxia on revascularization in experimental retinopathy of prematurity. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43: 496–502. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Hyperoxia induces retinal vascular endothelial cell apoptosis through formation of peroxynitrite. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 285: C546–C554. , , , , , .
- 2001. p53-dependent induction of p21(Cip1/WAF1/Sdi1) protects against oxygen-induced toxicity. Toxicol Sci 63: 214–222. , , , .
- 2000. Vascularization of the human fetal retina: roles of vasculogenesis and angiogenesis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 41: 1217–1228. , , .
- International Committee for the Classification of Retinopathy of Prematurity. 2005. The International Classification of Retinopathy of Prematurity revisited. Arch Ophthalmol 123: 991–999.
- 2005. Trans-arachidonic acids generated during nitrative stress induce a thrombospondin-1-dependent microvascular degeneration. Nat Med 11: 1339–1345. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Dual and opposing roles of ERK in regulating G(1) and S-G(2)/M delays in A549 cells caused by hyperoxia. Exp Cell Res 297: 472–483. , , .
- 1998. Adenosine stimulates canine retinal microvascular endothelial cell migration and tube formation. Curr Eye Res 17: 594–607. , , , .
- 2000. 5′ nucleotidase and adenosine during retinal vasculogenesis and oxygen-induced retinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 41: 218–229. , , .
- 2006. Canine retinal angioblasts are multipotent. Exp Eye Res 83: 183–193. , , , , .
- 1998. Oxygen, genes, and development: an analysis of the role of hypoxic gene regulation during murine vascular development. J Mol Med 76: 391–401. , .
- 1987. Visualization of a developing vasculature. Microvasc Res 33: 257–269. , , , .
- 1996. Vaso-obliteration in the canine model of oxygen-induced retinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 37: 300–311. , , .
- 1998. Clinical and histopathologic features of canine oxygen-induced proliferative retinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 39: 1918–1932. , , .
- 2006. The initial fetal human retinal vasculature develops by vasculogenesis. Dev Dyn 235: 3336–3347. , , , , .
- 2006. The dipeptide Arg-Gln inhibits retinal neovascularization in the mouse model of oxygen-induced retinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47: 3151–3155. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. DNA damage and cell cycle checkpoints in hyperoxic lung injury: braking to facilitate repair. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 281: L291–L305. .
- 1984. Current concepts of the effect of oxygen on the developing retina. Curr Eye Res 3: 159–163. .
- 1992. Oxygen-induced retinopathy in the rat. Vitamins C and E as potential therapies. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 33: 1836–1845. , , .
- 2001. The role of FGF and VEGF in angioblast induction and migration during vascular development. Dev Dyn 220: 1–17. , , .
- 2004. Contemporary understanding and management of retinopathy of prematurity. Retina 24: 283–292. ,
- 2002. Regulation of endothelial cell branching morphogenesis by endogenous chemokine stromal-derived factor-1. Blood 99: 2703–2711. , , , , , .
- 2005. Oxygen for newborns: how much is too much? J Perinatol 25(Suppl 2): S45–S49; discussion S50. .
- 1982. The effect of fibrin on endothelial cell migration in vitro. Tissue Cell 14: 629–636. , .
- 2004. Variations in the morphology of retinopathy of prematurity in extremely low birthweight infants. Br J Ophthalmol 88: 1500–1503. , .
- 1994. Oxygen-induced retinopathy in the mouse. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 35: 101–111. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Screening guidelines for retinopathy of prematurity: the need for revision in extremely low birth weight infants. Pediatrics 107: 656–659. , , , , .
- 2006. Lower oxygen saturation alarm limits decrease the severity of retinopathy of prematurity. J AAPOS 10: 445–448. , , .
- 1984. Identification and isolation of endothelial cells based on their increased uptake of acetylated-low density lipoprotein. J Cell Biol 99: 2034–2040. , , , .
- 2004. Inhibition of platelet-derived growth factor promotes pericyte loss and angiogenesis in ischemic retinopathy. Am J Pathol 164: 1263–1273. , , , , , , , .