Differential responses to the application of exogenous NT-3 are observed for subpopulations of motor and sensory neurons depending on the presence of skeletal muscle
Article first published online: 13 APR 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 5, pages 1193–1202, May 2007
How to Cite
Angka, H. E. and Kablar, B. (2007), Differential responses to the application of exogenous NT-3 are observed for subpopulations of motor and sensory neurons depending on the presence of skeletal muscle. Dev. Dyn., 236: 1193–1202. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21147
- Issue published online: 17 APR 2007
- Article first published online: 13 APR 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 FEB 2007
- CIHR. Grant Number: 41433
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals
- 2000. ETS gene Er81 controls the formation of functional connections between group Ia sensory afferents and motor neurons. Cell 101: 485–498. , , , , .
- 1994. The Trk family of neurotrophin receptors. J Neurobiol 29: 1386–1403. .
- 2007. High affinity not in the vicinity? Neuron 53: 1–4. .
- 2001. Neurotrophin-3 is required for the survival-differentiation of subsets of developing enteric neurons. J Neurosci 21: 5620–5636. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Developmental changes in the response of trigeminal neurons to neurotrophins: influence of birthdate and ganglion environment. Development 125: 4365–4373. , , .
- 1994a. Lack of neurotrophin-3 leads to deficiencies in the peripheral nervous system and loss of limb proprioceptive afferents. Cell 77: 530–512. , , , .
- 1994b. Mice lacking brain-derived neurotrophic factor develop with sensory deficits. Nature 368: 147–150. , , .
- 2000. Formation of a full complement of cranial proprioceptors requires multiple neurotrophins. Dev Dyn 218: 359–370. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Neurotrophin actions during the development of the peripheral nervous system. Microsc Res Tech 45: 233–242. .
- 1994. Severe sensory and sympathetic deficits in mice lacking neurotrophin-3. Nature 396: 658–661. , , , , .
- 1996. Lack of neurotrophin-3 results in death of spinal sensory neurons and premature differentiation of their precursors. Neuron 17: 1065–1078. , , , .
- 2006. Subpopulations of motor and sensory neurons respond differently to brain-derived neurotrophic factor depending on the presence of the skeletal muscle. Dev Dyn 235: 2175–2184. , , , .
- 2003. Differential expression of the GDNF family receptors RET and GFRα1, 2, and 4 in subsets of motoneurons: a relationship between motoneuron birthdate and receptor expression. J Comp Neurol 456: 245–259. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Naturally occurring and axotomy-induced motoneuron death and its prevention by neurotrophic agents: a comparison between chick and mouse. Prog Brain Res 102: 217–226. , , , , .
- 2001. Neurotrophins: roles in neuronal development and function. Annu Rev Neurosci 24: 677–736. , .
- 1994. Targeted disruption of the BDNF gene perturbs brain and sensory neuron development but not motor neuron development. Cell 76: 989–999. , , , .
- 1999. Development in the absence of skeletal muscle results in the absence of skeletal muscle results in the sequential ablation of motor neurons from the spinal cord to the brain. Dev Biol 208: 93–109. , .
- 2005. Presence of neurotrophic factors in skeletal muscle correlates with survival of spinal cord motor neurons. Dev Dyn 234: 659–669. , .
- 1998. Neurotrophin-3 and trkC in muscle are non-essential for the development of mouse muscle spindles. Neuroreport 9: 905–909. , , , , , .
- 1994. Neurotrophic agents prevent motoneuron death following sciatic nerve sections in the neonatal mouse. J Neurobiol 25: 759–766. , , , .
- 2003. Hoxa10 and Hoxd10 coordinately regulate lumbar motor neuron patterning. J Neurobiol 56: 328–337. , .
- 2000. Severe peripheral sensory neuron loss and modest motor neuron reductions in mice with combined deficiency of brain-derived neurotrophic factor, neurotrophin 3 and neurotrophin 4/5. Dev Dyn 218: 94–101. , .
- 1995. Muscle sensory neurons require neurotrophin-3 from peripheral tissues during the period of normal cell death. Development 121: 1341–1350. , , , .
- 2000. Neurotrophin-3 promotes the survival of a limited subpopulation of cutaneous sensory neurons. Dev Biol 224: 415–427. , , , , .
- 1993. Biological studies of a putative avian muscle-derived neurotrophic factor that prevents naturally occurring motoneuron death in vivo. J Neurobiol 24: 1065–1079. , , , , , .
- 1998. Permeability of the blood-brain barrier to neurotrophins. Brain Res 788: 87–94. , , .
- 2003. Peripheral NT3 signaling is required for ETS protein expression and central patterning of proprioceptive sensory afferents. Neuron 38: 403–416. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Cell death of spinal motoneurons in the chick embryo following deafferentation: rescue effects of tissue extracts, soluble proteins, and neurotrophic agents. J Neurosci 14: 7629–7640. , , , .
- 2006. Myf5−/−:MyD−/− amyogenic fetuses reveal the importance of early contraction and static loading by striated muscle in mouse skeletogenesis. Dev Genes Evol 216: 1–9. , , , , , , .
- 1993. MyoD or Myf-5 is required for the formation of skeletal muscle. Cell 75: 1351–1359. , , , , , .
- 1994. Functions of the neurotrophins during nervous system development: what the knockouts are teaching us. Cell 77: 627–638. .
- 1996. Dorsal root ganglion neurons require functional neurotrophin receptors for survival during development. Philos Trans R Soc Lond 351: 395–403. , .
- 2005. The role of neurotrophins in the maintenance of the spinal cord motor neurons and the dorsal root ganglia proprioceptive sensory neurons. Int J Dev Neurosci 23: 613–620. , , , , .
- 1994. Targeted mutation in the neurotrophin-3 gene results in loss of muscle sensory neurons. Neurobiology 91: 11844–11848. , , , , .
- 1997. Introduction of neurotrophin-3 transgene into muscle selectively rescues proprioceptive neurons in mice lacking endogenous neurtorophin-3. Neuron 19: 503–517. , , , .
- 2002. Muscle-derived neurotrophin-3 reduces injury-induced proprioceptive degeneration in neonatal mice. J Neurobiol 50: 198–208. , , , , .
- 1993. Influences of neurotrophins on mammalian motoneurons in vivo. J Neurobiol. 24: 1555–1577. , , , , , , , .