Patterns & Phenotypes
Spatiotemporal expression of smooth muscle markers in developing zebrafish gut
Article first published online: 1 MAY 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Segmentation
Volume 236, Issue 6, pages 1623–1632, June 2007
How to Cite
Georgijevic, S., Subramanian, Y., Rollins, E.-L., Starovic-Subota, O., Tang, A. C.Y. and Childs, S. J. (2007), Spatiotemporal expression of smooth muscle markers in developing zebrafish gut. Dev. Dyn., 236: 1623–1632. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21165
- Issue published online: 16 MAY 2007
- Article first published online: 1 MAY 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 MAR 2007
- March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation. Grant Number: 5-FY2002-246
- National Science and Engineering Council of Canada. Grant Number: 312496-2005
- AHFMR HYRS program
- 1998. Zebrafish hox clusters and vertebrate genome evolution. Science 282: 1711–1714. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Sonic hedgehog directs specialised mesoderm differentiation in the intestine and pancreas. Curr Biol 7: 801–804. , , .
- 2000. The Xenopus tadpole gut: fate maps and morphogenetic movements. Development 127: 381–392. , .
- 1977. FITC-labeled antibody staining of tropomyosin-containing fibrils in smooth, cardiac and skeletal muscle cells, prefusion myoblasts, fibroblasts, endothelial cells and 3T3 cells in culture. Cell Tissue Res 183: 153–166. , , , .
- 2003. Novel in vitro and in vivo phosphorylation sites on protein phosphatase 1 inhibitor CPI-17. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 302: 186–192. , , , , , .
- 1997. Molecular cloning of a novel phosphorylation-dependent inhibitory protein of protein phosphatase-1 (CPI17) in smooth muscle: its specific localization in smooth muscle. FEBS Lett 410: 356–360. , , , .
- 2006. Structure and autonomic innervation of the swim bladder in the zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Comp Neurol 495: 587–606. , , , , .
- 1992. Phenotypic changes of human smooth muscle cells during development: late expression of heavy caldesmon and calponin. Dev Biol 153: 185–193. , , , .
- 2002. Development of visceral smooth muscle. In: Brand-SaberiB, editor. Vertebrate myogenesis. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. p 1–37. .
- 2001. Comparison of the development and function of the swimbladder of Brevoortia tyran (Clupeidae) and Leiostomus xanthurus (Sciaenidae). Copeia 2: 430–442. , .
- 2004. Ontogeny of the gut motility control system in zebrafish Danio rerio embryos and larvae. J Exp Biol 207: 4085–4094. , , , .
- 2006. The effects of endogenous and exogenous nitric oxide on gut motility in zebrafish Danio rerio embryos and larvae. J Exp Biol 209: 2472–2479. , , .
- 1996. Development of the aortic vessel wall as defined by vascular smooth muscle and extracellular matrix markers. Dev Biol 178: 375–392. , , , .
- 2004. CPI-17-deficient smooth muscle of chicken. J Physiol 557: 515–528. , , .
- 1999. A novel isoform of the smooth muscle cell differentiation marker smoothelin. J Mol Med 77: 294–298. , , , , , , .
- 1991. cDNA cloning of a myosin heavy chain isoform in embryonic smooth muscle and its expression during vascular development and in arteriosclerosis. J Biol Chem 266: 3768–3773. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Obstructive response of human bladder to BPH vs. rabbit bladder response to partial outlet obstruction: a direct comparison. Neurourol Urodyn 19: 609–629. , , , , , , .
- 1996. SM22 alpha, a marker of adult smooth muscle, is expressed in multiple myogenic lineages during embryogenesis. Circ Res 78: 188–195. , , , .
- 2004. Twenty ways to lose your bladder: common natural mutants in zebrafish and widespread convergence of swim bladder loss among teleost fishes. Evol Dev 6: 246–259. , .
- 1995. Molecular analysis of smooth muscle development in the mouse. Dev Dyn 204: 278–290. .
- 1996. Molecular analysis of gastrointestinal smooth muscle development. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 23: 379–394. .
- 1994. Smooth muscle myosin heavy chain exclusively marks the smooth muscle lineage during mouse embryogenesis. Circ Res 75: 803–812. , , , , .
- 2005. Formation of the digestive system in zebrafish: III. Intestinal epithelium morphogenesis. Dev Biol 286: 114–135. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Molecular control of vascular smooth muscle cell differentiation. Acta Physiol Scand 164: 623–635. .
- 1996. Molecular regulation of smooth muscle cell differentiation. J Hypertens Suppl 14: S55–S64. , , .
- 2004. Molecular regulation of vascular smooth muscle cell differentiation in development and disease. Physiol Rev 84: 767–801. , , .
- 1993. Cloning of the zebrafish krox-20 gene (krx-20) and its expression during hindbrain development. Nucleic Acids Res 21: 1087–1095. , .
- 2002. Airway smooth muscle: an immunomodulatory cell. J Allergy Clin Immunol 110: S269–274.
- 2004. The development of the swim bladder: structure and performance. Am Fish Soc Symp 40: 37–46. .
- 2000. Hedgehog signals regulate multiple aspects of gastrointestinal development. Development 127: 2763–2772. , , .
- 2000. Impaired vascular contractility and blood pressure homeostasis in the smooth muscle alpha-actin null mouse. FASEB J 14: 2213–2220. , , , , , , .
- 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res 22: 4673–4680. , , .
- 1996. Smoothelin, a novel cytoskeletal protein specific for smooth muscle cells. J Cell Biol 134: 401–411. , , , , .
- 2003. Unique and conserved aspects of gut development in zebrafish. Dev Biol 255: 12–29. , .
- 2005a. Intestinal growth and differentiation in zebrafish. Mech Dev 122: 157–173. , , , , .
- 2005b. Mutation of smooth muscle myosin causes epithelial invasion and cystic expansion of the zebrafish intestine. Dev Cell 8: 717–726. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. The zebrafish book. Eugene, OR: University of Oregon Press. .
- 2001. Expression of CPI-17 and myosin phosphatase correlates with Ca(2+) sensitivity of protein kinase C-induced contraction in rabbit smooth muscle. J Physiol 535: 553–564. , , , , .
- 2003. Molecular cloning and expression of a smooth muscle-specific gene SM22alpha in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 312: 741–746. , , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of SM22alpha-deficient mice reveals unanticipated insights into smooth muscle cell differentiation and function. Mol Cell Biol 21: 1336–1344. , , , , , , , , .