Patterns & Phenotypes
Ablation of de novo DNA methyltransferase Dnmt3a in the nervous system leads to neuromuscular defects and shortened lifespan
Article first published online: 3 MAY 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Segmentation
Volume 236, Issue 6, pages 1663–1676, June 2007
How to Cite
Nguyen, S., Meletis, K., Fu, D., Jhaveri, S. and Jaenisch, R. (2007), Ablation of de novo DNA methyltransferase Dnmt3a in the nervous system leads to neuromuscular defects and shortened lifespan. Dev. Dyn., 236: 1663–1676. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21176
- Issue published online: 16 MAY 2007
- Article first published online: 3 MAY 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 APR 2007
- NIH. Grant Numbers: RO1-CA087869, EY14399, 5R01HD45022
- 2000. Rett syndrome: methyl-CpG-binding protein 2 mutations and phenotype-genotype correlations. Am J Med Genet 97: 147–152. , .
- 1993. Epigenetic mechanisms underlying the imprinting of the mouse H19 gene. Genes Dev 7: 1663–1673. , , , .
- 1999. Neurotrophin-3 is required for proper cerebellar development. Nat Neurosci 2: 115–117. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Deficiency of methyl-CpG binding protein-2 in CNS neurons results in a Rett-like phenotype in mice. Nat Genet 27: 327–331. , , , .
- 2002. A novel Dnmt3a isoform produced from an alternative promoter localizes to euchromatin and its expression correlates with active de novo methylation. J Biol Chem 277: 38746–38754. , , , .
- 1997. Purkinje cell expression of a mutant allele of SCA1 in transgenic mice leads to disparate effects on motor behaviors, followed by a progressive cerebellar dysfunction and histological alterations. J Neurosci 17: 7385–7395. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Nestin-Cre transgenic mouse line Nes-Cre1 mediates highly efficient Cre/loxP mediated recombination in the nervous system, kidney, and somite-derived tissues. Genesis 44: 355–360. , , , , .
- 2001. DNA hypomethylation perturbs the function and survival of CNS neurons in postnatal animals. J Neurosci 21: 788–797. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. DNA methylation controls the timing of astrogliogenesis through regulation of JAK-STAT signaling. Development 132: 3345–3356. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Dynamic expression of de novo DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b in the central nervous system. J Neurosci Res 79: 734–746. , , , .
- 2005. Reelin promoter hypermethylation in schizophrenia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 9341–9346. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Transgenic-mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. N Engl J Med 331: 1721–1722. .
- 1994. Motor neuron degeneration in mice that express a human Cu,Zn superoxide dismutase mutation. Science 264: 1772–1775. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. A mouse Mecp2-null mutation causes neurological symptoms that mimic Rett syndrome. Nat Genet 27: 322–326. , , , , .
- 2001. Epigenetic instability in ES cells and cloned mice. Science 293: 95–97. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Exploratory activity and motor coordination in wild-type SOD1/SOD1 transgenic mice. Brain Res Bull 66: 155–162. , , , .
- 1992. Targeted mutation of the DNA methyltransferase gene results in embryonic lethality. Cell 69: 915–926. , , .
- 2002. Methylation dynamics of imprinted genes in mouse germ cells. Genomics 79: 530–538. , , , , .
- 1998. Cloning and characterization of a family of novel mammalian DNA (cytosine-5) methyltransferases. Nat Genet 19: 219–220. , , .
- 1999. DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b are essential for de novo methylation and mammalian development. Cell 99: 247–257. , , , .
- 2002. Flp recombinase regulated lacZ expression at the ROSA26 locus. Genesis 32: 184–186. , , , , .
- 2000. Generation of mice from wild-type and targeted ES cells by nuclear cloning. Nat Genet 24: 109–110. , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Site-specific DNA recombination in mammalian cells by the Cre recombinase of bacteriophage P1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 85: 5166–5170. , .
- 1985. The FLP recombinase of the yeast 2-micron plasmid: characterization of its recombination site. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 82: 7270–7274. , , .
- 2005. Stage- and site-specific DNA demethylation during neural cell development from embryonic stem cells. J Neurochem 93: 432–439. , , , .
- 1991. Targeted disruption of the c-src proto-oncogene leads to osteopetrosis in mice. Cell 64: 693–702. , , , .
- 1994. Deletions of a differentially methylated CpG island at the SNRPN gene define a putative imprinting control region. Nat Genet 8: 52–58. , , , , , , .
- 2001. DNA methylation is a critical cell-intrinsic determinant of astrocyte differentiation in the fetal brain. Dev Cell 1: 749–758. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Methylation of the glial fibrillary acidic protein gene shows novel biphasic changes during brain development. Glia 17: 195–205. , , , , , .
- 1999. Cre-mediated gene inactivation demonstrates that FGF8 is required for cell survival and patterning of the first branchial arch. Genes Dev 13: 3136–3148. , , , , .
- 1998. Transcription of IAP endogenous retroviruses is constrained by cytosine methylation. Nat Genet 20: 116–117. , , .
- 2003. Assessing disease onset and progression in the SOD1 mouse model of ALS. Neuroreport 14: 1051–1054. , , , .