Special Issue Research Article
Transcription factors Mesp2 and Paraxis have critical roles in axial musculoskeletal formation
Article first published online: 3 MAY 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Segmentation
Volume 236, Issue 6, pages 1484–1494, June 2007
How to Cite
Takahashi, Y., Takagi, A., Hiraoka, S., Koseki, H., Kanno, J., Rawls, A. and Saga, Y. (2007), Transcription factors Mesp2 and Paraxis have critical roles in axial musculoskeletal formation. Dev. Dyn., 236: 1484–1494. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21178
- Issue published online: 16 MAY 2007
- Article first published online: 3 MAY 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 MAR 2007
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan
- 1997. Cloning and characterization of chicken Paraxis: a regulator of paraxial mesoderm development and somite formation. Dev Biol 189: 95–111. , , , , .
- 1995. Transient and restricted expression during mouse embryogenesis of Dll1, a murine gene closely related to Drosophila Delta. Development 121: 2407–2418. , , , , .
- 1999. Sox9 is required for cartilage formation. Nat Genet 22: 85–89. , , , , .
- 2003. A somitic compartment of tendon progenitors. Cell 113: 235–248. , , .
- 1995. Paraxis: a basic helix-loop-helix protein expressed in paraxial mesoderm and developing somites. Dev Biol 168: 296–306. , , , .
- 1996. Requirement of the paraxis gene for somite formation and musculoskeletal patterning. Nature 384: 570–573. , , , , .
- 2004. The T-box transcription factor Tbx18 maintains the separation of anterior and posterior somite compartments. Genes Dev 18: 1209–1221. , , , , , .
- 1995. Scleraxis: a basic helix-loop-helix protein that prefigures skeletal formation during mouse embryogenesis. Development 121: 1099–1110. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Patterning of mammalian somites by surface ectoderm and notochord: evidence for sclerotome induction by a hedgehog homolog. Cell 79: 1175–1186. , .
- 2001. The two-hybrid system. A personal view. Methods Mol Biol 177: 3–8. , .
- 1994. Ectopic expression of Sonic hedgehog alters dorsal-ventral patterning of somites. Cell 79: 1165–1173. , , , .
- 2001. The anterior/posterior polarity of somites is disrupted in paraxis-deficient mice. Dev Biol 229: 176–187. , , , , , .
- 1990. The murine paired box gene, Pax7, is expressed specifically during the development of the nervous and muscular system. Mech Dev 33: 27–37. , , .
- 2000. MesP1 and MesP2 are essential for the development of cardiac mesoderm. Development 127: 3215–3226. , , , .
- 2000. The paired homeobox gene Uncx4.1 specifies pedicles, transverse processes and proximal ribs of the vertebral column. Development 127: 2259–2267. , , , , .
- 1999. The mouse bagpipe gene controls development of axial skeleton, skull, and spleen. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 9695–9700. , , , , , .
- 1997. Paired-related murine homeobox gene expressed in the developing sclerotome, kidney, and nervous system. Dev Dyn 210: 53–65. , , , , , .
- 2000. Uncx4.1 is required for the formation of the pedicles and proximal ribs and acts upstream of Pax9. Development 127: 2251–2258. , , , , .
- 1997. Ectopic Pax-3 activates MyoD and Myf-5 expression in embryonic mesoderm and neural tissue. Cell 89: 139–148. , , , , , .
- 2006. Cooperative Mesp activity is required for normal somitogenesis along the anterior-posterior axis. Dev Biol 300: 687–698. , , , .
- 2006. Identification of Epha4 enhancer required for segmental expression and the regulation by Mesp2. Development 133: 2517–2525. , , , , .
- 1997. A mouse gene of the paired-related homeobox class expressed in the caudal somite compartment and in the developing vertebral column, kidney and nervous system. Dev Genes Evol 207: 330–339. , , .
- 1995. Characterization and developmental expression of Pax9, a paired-box-containing gene related to Pax1. Dev Biol 170: 701–716. , , .
- 1999. Pax1 and Pax9 synergistically regulate vertebral column development. Development 126: 5399–5408. , , , , , .
- 2003. Vertebrate somitogenesis: a novel paradigm for animal segmentation? Int J Dev Biol 47: 597–603. .
- 2003. Pax1 and Pax9 activate Bapx1 to induce chondrogenic differentiation in the sclerotome. Development 130: 473–482. , , , , .
- 1997. Mesp2: a novel mouse gene expressed in the presegmented mesoderm and essential for segmentation initiation. Genes Dev 11: 1827–1839. , , , .
- 1989. Expression of two myogenic regulatory factors myogenin and MyoD1 during mouse embryogenesis. Nature 341: 303–307. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Pax1, a member of the paired box-containing class of developmental control genes, is mapped to human chromosome 20p11.2 by in situ hybridization (ISH and FISH). Genomics 14: 740–744. , , , , , .
- 1997. Redefining the genetic hierarchies controlling skeletal myogenesis: Pax-3 and Myf-5 act upstream of MyoD. Cell 89: 127–138. , , , .
- 2000. Mesp2 initiates somite segmentation through the Notch signalling pathway. Nat Genet 25: 390–396. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Feedback loops comprising Dll1, Dll3 and Mesp2, and differential involvement of Psen1 are essential for rostrocaudal patterning of somites. Development 130: 4259–4268. , , , .
- 2005. Differential contributions of Mesp1 and Mesp2 to the epithelialization and rostro-caudal patterning of somites. Development 132: 787–796. , , , , .
- 1999. The murine Bapx1 homeobox gene plays a critical role in embryonic development of the axial skeleton and spleen. Development 126: 5699–5711. , .
- 1997. Bapx1: an evolutionary conserved homologue of the Drosophila bagpipe homeobox gene is expressed in splanchnic mesoderm and the embryonic skeleton. Mech Dev 65: 145–162. , , .
- 2004. Identification and developmental expression of Xenopus paraxis. Int J Dev Biol 48: 1155–1158. , .
- 1993. Mammalian Ras interacts directly with the serine/threonine kinase Raf. Cell 74: 205–214. , , .
- 1994. Pax-3 expression in segmental mesoderm marks early stages in myogenic cell specification. Development 120: 785–796. , .
- 1998. Targeted disruption of Pax1 defines its null phenotype and proves haploinsufficiency. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 8692–8697. , , , , .
- 1999. Differential regulation of epaxial and hypaxial muscle development by paraxis. Development 126: 5217–5229. , , , .
- 1995. The Sry-related gene Sox9 is expressed during chondrogenesis in mouse embryos. Nat Genet 9: 15–20. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Shh establishes an Nkx3.2/Sox9 autoregulatory loop that is maintained by BMP signals to induce somitic chondrogenesis. Genes Dev 16: 1990–2005. , , , , .