This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
Disruption of fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 signaling results in defects in cellular differentiation, neuronal patterning, and hearing impairment†
Article first published online: 7 JUN 2007
Published 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Ciona
Volume 236, Issue 7, pages 1905–1917, July 2007
How to Cite
Puligilla, C., Feng, F., Ishikawa, K., Bertuzzi, S., Dabdoub, A., Griffith, A. J., Fritzsch, B. and Kelley, M. W. (2007), Disruption of fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 signaling results in defects in cellular differentiation, neuronal patterning, and hearing impairment. Dev. Dyn., 236: 1905–1917. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21192
- Issue published online: 18 JUN 2007
- Article first published online: 7 JUN 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 APR 2007
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication
- United States–Israel Binational Science Foundation. Grant Number: 2003335
- NIH. Grant Number: RO1 DC005590
- 1999. Math1: an essential gene for the generation of inner ear hair cells. Science 284: 1837–1841. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Expression of Prox1 during mouse cochlear development. J Comp Neurol 496: 172–186. , , , , , .
- 2000. Sensory organ generation in the chicken inner ear: contributions of bone morphogenetic protein 4, serrate1, and lunatic fringe. J Comp Neurol 424: 509–520. , , , , , .
- 1996. Skeletal overgrowth and deafness in mice lacking fibroblast growth factor receptor 3. Nat Genet 12: 390–397. , , , , .
- 2001. Immunolocalization of the calcium binding S100A1, S100A5, S100A6 proteins in the dog cochlea during postnatal development. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 126: 191–199. , , , , .
- 1996. Role of transcription factors Brn-3.1 and Brn-3.2 in auditory and visual system development. Nature 381: 603–606. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Spatial shaping of cochlear innervation by temporally regulated neurotrophin expression. J Neurosci 21: 6170–6180. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005a. Atoh1 null mice show directed afferent fiber growth to undifferentiated ear sensory epithelia followed by incomplete fiber retention. Dev Dyn 233: 570–583. , , , , , , .
- 2005b. Diffusion and imaging properties of three new lipophilic tracers, NeuroVue Maroon, NeuroVue Red and NeuroVue Green and their use for double and triple labeling of neuronal profile. Brain Res Bull 66: 249–258. , , , , .
- 2004. The p75 neurotrophin receptor: multiple interactors and numerous functions. Prog Brain Res 146: 25–39. , , .
- 1983. A study of cochlear innervation in the young cat with the Golgi method. Hear Res 10: 227–246. , .
- 2004. p75 neurotrophin receptor signaling in the nervous system. Biotechnol Annu Rev 10: 123–149. , , , .
- 2007. Loss of Fgfr3 leads to excess hair cell development in the mouse organ of Corti. Dev Dyn 236: 525–533. , , .
- 2004. Transcription profiling of inner ears from Pou4f3(ddl/ddl) identifies Gfi1 as a target of the Pou4f3 deafness gene. Hum Mol Genet 13: 2143–2153. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. ErbB expression: the mouse inner ear and maturation of the mitogenic response to heregulin. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 4: 422–443. , , .
- 2005a. The Notch ligands DLL1 and JAG2 act synergistically to regulate hair cell development in the mammalian inner ear. Development 132: 4353–4362. , , , , .
- 2005b. Sox2 is required for sensory organ development in the mammalian inner ear. Nature 434: 1031–1035. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Notch signaling pathway mediates hair cell development in mammalian cochlea. Nat Genet 21: 289–292. , , , , , , .
- 2005. BMP4 signaling is involved in the generation of inner ear sensory epithelia. BMC Dev Biol 17: 5–16. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Prestin is required for electromotility of the outer hair cell and for the cochlear amplifier. Nature 419: 300–304. , , , , , .
- 1986. Functional structure of the organ of Corti. Hear Res 22: 117–146. .
- 2000. Neurogenin 1 null mutant ears develop fewer, morphologically normal hair cells in smaller sensory epithelia devoid of innervation. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 1: 129–143. , , .
- 2003. Partial segregation of posterior crista and saccular fibers to the nodulus and uvula of the cerebellum in mice, and its development. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 140: 223–236. , .
- 2000. Cochlear mechanisms from a phylogenetic viewpoint. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 11736–11743. .
- 2005. Smad transcription factors. Genes Dev 19: 2783–2810. , , .
- 2005. Smaller inner ear sensory epithelia in Neurog 1 null mice are related to earlier hair cell cycle exit. Dev Dyn 234: 633–650. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Identification of Vangl2 and Scrb1 as planar polarity genes in mammals. Nature 423: 173–177. , , , , , .
- 2006. A disorganized innervation of the inner ear persists in the absence of ErbB2. Brain Res 1091: 186–199. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Development of the mouse inner ear and origin of its sensory organs. J Neurosci 18: 3327–3335. , , , , .
- 2002. Fibroblast growth factor signaling regulates pillar cell development in the organ of Corti. J Neurosci 22: 9368–9377. , , .
- 1998. Repression of hedgehog signaling and BMP4 expression in growth plate cartilage by fibroblast growth factor receptor 3. Development 125: 4977–4988. , , , .
- 2006. Multiple quantitative trait loci modify cochlear hair cell degeneration in the Beethoven (Tmc1Bth) mouse model of progressive hearing loss DFNA36. Genetics 173: 2111–2119. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Differential expression of bone morphogenetic proteins in the developing vestibular and auditory sensory organs. J Neurosci 16: 6463–6475. , , .
- 2002. Coordinate regulation and synergistic actions of BMP4, SHH and FGF8 in the rostral prosencephalon regulate morphogenesis of the telencephalic and optic vesicles. Neuroscience 111: 1–17. , , .
- 2006. Foxg1 is required for morphogenesis and histogenesis of the mammalian inner ear. Dev Dyn 235: 2470–2482. , , .
- 1993. Unique expression pattern of the FGF receptor 3 gene during mouse organogenesis. Dev Biol 155: 423–430. , , , .
- 1995. The site of action of neuronal acidic fibroblast growth factor is the organ of Corti of the rat cochlea. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 9269–9273. , , , , , .
- 2002. FGFR1 is required for the development of the auditory sensory epithelium. Neuron 35: 671–680. , , , , , .
- 2006. BMP-signaling regulates the generation of hair-cells. Dev Biol 292: 55–67. , , , .
- 2002. Auditory system development: primary auditory neurons and their targets. Annu Rev Neurosci 25: 51–101. , .
- 2005. Sprouty2, a mouse deafness gene, regulates cell fate decisions in the auditory sensory epithelium by antagonizing FGF signaling. Dev Cell 8: 553–564. , , , .
- 1989. Development of acetylcholinesterase-positive neuronal pathways in the cochlea of the mouse. J Neurocytol 18: 209–224. , .
- 2004. Math1 regulates development of the sensory epithelium in the mammalian cochlea. Nat Neurosci 7: 1310–1318. , , .
- 1998. Requirement for Brn-3c in maturation and survival, but not in fate determination of inner ear hair cells. Development 125: 3935–3946. , , , .
- 2006. Receptor specificity of the fibroblast growth factor family. The complete mammalian FGF family. J Biol Chem 281: 15694–15700. , , , , , .