Bone development in the femoral epiphysis of mice: The role of cartilage canals and the fate of resting chondrocytes
Article first published online: 11 JUL 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 8, pages 2077–2088, August 2007
How to Cite
Blumer, M. J.F., Longato, S., Schwarzer, C. and Fritsch, H. (2007), Bone development in the femoral epiphysis of mice: The role of cartilage canals and the fate of resting chondrocytes. Dev. Dyn., 236: 2077–2088. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21228
- Issue published online: 25 JUL 2007
- Article first published online: 11 JUL 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 MAY 2007
- 1986. The participation of cartilage canals in the ossification of the human fetal calcaneum. J Anat 147: 135–142. , , .
- 2005a. Expression patterns of matrix metalloproteinases and vascular endothelial growth factor during epiphyseal ossification. J Bone Min Res 20: 1011–1021. , , , , .
- 2005b. Chondrocytes are released as viable cells during cartilage resorption associated with the formation of intrachondral canals in the rat tibial epiphysis. Cell Tissue Res 320: 501–507. , , , .
- 2002. Ribbons of semithin sections: an advanced method with a new type of diamond knife. J Neurosci Methods 120: 11–16. , , , , .
- 2004a. Cartilage canals in the chicken embryo: ultrastructure and function. Anat Embryo 207: 453–462. , , , .
- 2004b. Cartilage canals in the chicken embryo are involved in the process of endochondral bone formation within the epiphyseal growth plate. Anat Rec 279A: 692–700. , , .
- 2005. The role of cartilage canals in endochondral and perichondral bone formation: are there similarities between these two processes? J Anat 206: 359–372. , , , , , .
- 2006. Identification and location of bone forming cells within cartilage canals on their course into the secondary ossification centre (SOC). J Anat 208: 695–707. , , , , .
- 1993. Development of the cartilage canals and the secondary center of ossification in the distal chondroepiphysis of the prenatal human femur. Yale J Biol Med 66: 193–202. , , .
- 1988. Role of cartilage canals in the osteogenesis and growth of the vertebral centra. J Anat 158: 121–136. , .
- 1986 Uncalcified cartilage resorption in human fetal cartilage canals. Tissue Cell 18: 701–707. , , .
- 1989. Are perivascular cells in cartilage canals chondrocytes? J Anat 165: 1–8. , .
- 1985. Perivascular cells in cartilage canals of the developing mouse epiphysis. Am J Anat 174: 119–129. , .
- 2001. Enzymes active in the areas undergoing cartilage resorption during the development of the secondary ossification center in the tibiae of rats ages 0–21 days: II. Two proteinases, gelatinase B and collagenase-3, are implicated in the lysis of collagen fibrils. Dev Dyn 222: 71–88. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Development and segments of cartilage canals in the chick embryo. A light microscope study. Eur J Anat 3: 121–126 , , , .
- 2003. Angiogenesis in the distal femoral chondroepiphysis of the rabbit during the development of the secondary centre of ossification. J Anat 203: 223–233. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Computerized three-dimensional reconstruction of cartilage canals in chick tibial chondroepiphysis. Anat Hist Embryol 35: 247–252. , , .
- 2006. Buried alive: how osteoblasts become osteocytes. Dev Dyn 235: 176–190. , , .
- 1999. Ossification of the calcaneus in the normal foot and in the clubfoot. J Pediatr Orthop 19: 22–26. , .
- 2001. Ossification in the human calcaneus: a model for spatial bone development and ossification. J Anat 199: 609–616. , , .
- 1994. Hypertrophic chondrocytes undergo further differentiation to osteoblast-like cells and participate in the initial bone formation in the developing chick embryo. J Bone Min Res 9: 1239–1249. , , , , , .
- 1995. Basement membrane composition of cartilage canals during development and ossification of the epiphysis. Anat Rec 241: 425–437. , , , , .
- 2001. Histological abnormalities of the calcaneum in congential talipes equinovarus. J Orthop Sci 6: 519–526. , , .
- 1999. MT1-MMP-deficient mice develop dwarfism, osteopenia, arthritis and connective tissue disease due to inadequate collagen turnover. Cell 99: 81–92. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1979. The role of cartilage canals in the formation of secondary centres of ossification. J Anat 129: 493–506. , , , .
- 2001. Enzymes active in the areas undergoing cartilage resorption during the development of the secondary ossification center in the tibiae of rats ages 0-21 days: I. Two groups of proteinases cleave the core protein of aggrecan. Dev Dyn 222: 52–70. , , , , , , .
- 1970. Mode of growth, fate and functions of cartilage canals. J Anat 106: 135–145. .
- 2006. Matrix metalloproteinase-9 induces the formation of cartilage canals in the chondroepiphysis of the neonatal rabbit. J Bone Joint Surg 88-A: 155–161. , , .
- 1992. A comparison of the immunohistochemical localization of type I and Type II collagens in craniofacial cartilages of the rat. Acta Anat 144: 59–64. , , , , .
- 1999. Microvascular features and ossification process in the femoral head of growing rats. J Anat 195: 225–233. , , , , .
- 2004. Development of the microcirculation of the secondary ossification centre in rat humeral head. Anat Rec 278A: 419–427. , , , , .
- 2006. Ossification of the mouse metatarsal: differentiation and proliferation in the presence/absence of a defined growth plate. Anat Rec 288A: 104–118. , , , .
- 2002. Structural stages in the development of the long bones and epiphyses: a study in the New Zealand white rabbit. J Bone Joint Surg 84-A: 85–100. , .
- 1997. New Aspects of endochondral ossification in the chick: chondrocyte apoptosis, bone formation by former chondrocytes, and acid phosphatase activity in the endochondral bone matrix. J Bone Miner Res 12: 795–805. .
- 1999. Association of matrix acid and alkaline phosphatases with mineralization of cartilage and endochondral bone. Histochem J 31: 53–61. .
- 1999. “Cell paralysis” as an intermediate stage in the programmed cell death of epiphyseal chondrocytes during development. J Bone Min Res 14: 1367–1378. , .
- 1989. Cartilage resorption and endochondral bone formation during the development of long bones in chick embryos. Bone Mineral 6: 289–309. , .
- 1995. Osteogenic differentiation of hypertrophic chondrocytes involves asymmetric cell division and apoptosis. J Cell Biol 131: 483–494 , , .
- 1998. Initiation of the bony epiphysis in long bones: chronology of interactions between the vascular system and chondrocytes. J Bone Min Res 13: 950–961. , , .
- 2004. Chondroptosis: A variant of apoptotic cell death in chondrocytes? Apoptosis 9: 265–277. , , .
- 1971. The ultrastructure of cartilage canals and the surrounding cartilage in the sheep fetus. J Anat 109: 397–410. .
- 1990. Absence of cartilage canals in the long bone extremities of four species of skeletally immature marsupials. Anat Rec 226: 440–446. .
- 1990. The development of centres of ossification of bones forming elbow joints in young swine. J Anat 171: 25–39. ; , , .
- 1972. Cartilage canals, their morphology and distribution. Anat Rec 173: 79–93. , .
- 2004a. Vascularisation and osteochondrosis of the epiphyseal growth cartilage of the distal femur in pigs: development with age, growth rate, weight and joint shape. Bone 34: 454–465. , , , , , , .
- 2004b. Focal changes in blood flow are central in the pathogenesis of osteochondrosis in pigs. Bone 35: 1294–1306. , , , .
- 2000. Impaired endochondral ossification and angiogenesis in mice deficient in membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase I. PNAS 97: 4052–4057. , , , , , , , , .