A. C. Correia, M. Costa, and F. Moraes contributed equally to this work.
Bmp2 is required for migration but not for induction of neural crest cells in the mouse
Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 9, pages 2493–2501, September 2007
How to Cite
Correia, A. C., Costa, M., Moraes, F., Bom, J., Nóvoa, A. and Mallo, M. (2007), Bmp2 is required for migration but not for induction of neural crest cells in the mouse. Dev. Dyn., 236: 2493–2501. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21256
- Issue online: 17 AUG 2007
- Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JUN 2007
- FCT/POCI. Grant Number: POCI/BIA-BCM/60420/2004
- Centro de Biologia do Desenvolvimento
- 2002. Early induction of neural crest cells: lessons learned from frog, fish and chick. Curr Opin Genet Dev 12: 452–458. , .
- 2003. Snail precedes slug in the genetic cascade required for the specification and migration of the Xenopus neural crest. Development 130: 483–494. , , .
- 1992. Relationship between Wnt-1 and En-2 expression domains during early development of normal and ectopic met-mesencephalon. Development 115: 999–1009. , , , .
- 2005. Early steps in neural crest specification. Semin Cell Dev Biol 16: 642–646. , .
- 2001. Inactivation of the beta-catenin gene by Wnt1-Cre-mediated deletion results in dramatic brain malformation and failure of craniofacial development. Development 128: 1253–1264. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Canonical Wnt activity regulates trunk neural crest delamination linking BMP/noggin signaling with G1/S transition. Development 131: 5327–5339. , , , .
- 1994. Cis-acting regulatory sequences governing Wnt-1 expression in the developing mouse CNS. Development 120: 2213–2224. , , .
- 1990. Isolation of the mouse Hox-2.9 gene; analysis of embryonic expression suggests that positional information along the anterior–posterior axis is specified by mesoderm. Development 110: 589–607. , , .
- 2002. Ectodermal Wnt function as a neural crest inducer. Science 297: 848–851. , , .
- 1999. Id genes are direct targets of bone morphogenetic protein induction in embryonic stem cells. J Biol Chem 274: 19838–19845. , , , , .
- 1997. Wnt signalling required for expansion of neural crest and CNS progenitors. Nature 389: 966–970. , , , , .
- 1997. Cadherin-6 expression transiently delineates specific rhombomeres, other neural tube subdivisions, and neural crest subpopulations in mouse embryos. Dev Biol 183: 183–194. , , , .
- 2000. Fate of the mammalian cardiac neural crest. Development 127: 1607–1616. , , , , .
- 1987. En-1 and En-2, two mouse genes with sequence homology to the Drosophila engrailed gene: expression during embryogenesis. Genes Dev 1: 29–38. , .
- 1998. Hoxa-2 restricts the chondrogenic domain and inhibits bone formation during development of the branchial area. Development 125: 2587–2597. , , , .
- 2000. BMP signaling is essential for development of skeletogenic and neurogenic cranial neural crest. Development 127: 1095–1104. , , , .
- 2005. To proliferate or to die: role of Id3 in cell cycle progression and survival of neural crest progenitors. Genes Dev 19: 744–755. , .
- 2003. Multipotentiality of the neural crest. Curr Opin Genet Dev 13: 529–536. , .
- 1999. The neural crest. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 1995. Dorsal differentiation of neural plate cells induced by BMP-mediated signals from epidermal ectoderm. Cell 82: 969–979. , , , .
- 1991. Segmental origin and migration of neural crest cells in the hindbrain region of the chick embryo. Development 113: 1281–1291. , , .
- 1998. Neural crest specification regulated by the helix-loop-helix repressor Id2. Science 281: 988–991. , .
- 1998. Noggin-mediated antagonism of BMP signaling is required for growth and patterning of the neural tube and somite. Genes Dev 12: 1438–1452. , , , , , .
- 2004. Gene-regulatory interactions in neural crest evolution and development. Dev Cell 7: 291–299. , .
- 1991. Transcription factor AP-2 is expressed in neural crest cell lineages during mouse embryogenesis. Genes Dev 5: 105–119. , , , , .
- 2005. How to become neural crest: from segregation to delamination. Semin Cell Dev Biol 16: 655–662. , , .
- 1990. The origins of neural crest cells in the axolotl. Dev Biol 141: 243–253. , .
- 2006. Snail family genes are required for left-right asymmetry determination, but not neural crest formation, in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103: 10300–10304. , .
- 1994. Control of cell behavior during vertebrate development by Slug, a zinc finger gene. Science 264: 835–839. , , , .
- 2002. Aortic arch and pharyngeal phenotype in the absence of BMP-dependent neural crest in the mouse. Mech Dev 119: 127–135. , , , , , .
- 2003. The human tissue plasminogen activator-Cre mouse: a new tool for targeting specifically neural crest cells and their derivatives in vivo. Dev Biol 259: 176–187. , , , , .
- 1998. Conserved and divergent roles for members of the Snail family of transcription factors in the chick and mouse embryo. Development 125: 3111–3121. , , .
- 1999. Regulation of the onset of neural crest migration by coordinated activity of BMP4 and Noggin in the dorsal neural tube. Development 126: 4749–4762. , .
- 1995. Origins of the avian neural crest: the role of neural plate-epidermal interactions. Development 121: 525–538. , .
- 1998. Effects of Shh and Noggin on neural crest formation demonstrate that BMP is required in the neural tube but not ectoderm. Development 125: 4919–4930. , , , .
- 2007. Antagonistic roles of full-length N-cadherin and its soluble BMP cleavage product in neural crest delamination. Development 134: 491–501. , , .
- 1992. Nested expression domains of four homeobox genes in developing rostral brain. Nature 358: 687–690. , , , , .
- 1999. Early embryonic lethality in Bmp5;Bmp7 double mutant mice suggests functional redundancy within the 60A subgroup. Development 126: 1753–1768. , .
- 2007. Snail2 directly represses cadherin6B during epithelial-to-mesenchymal transitions of the neural crest. Development 134: 1481–1490. , , .
- 1999. Cre-mediated gene inactivation demonstrates that FGF8 is required for cell survival and patterning of the first branchial arch. Genes Dev 13: 3136–3148. , , , , .
- 1997. DPP controls tracheal cell migration along the dorsoventral body axis of the Drosophila embryo. Development 124: 2741–2750. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Expression of the proto-oncogene int-1 is restricted to specific neural cells in the developing mouse embryo. Cell 50: 79–88. , , .
- 1996. Mice deficient for BMP2 are nonviable and have defects in amnion/chorion and cardiac development. Development 122: 2977–2986. , .