Drs. C.W. Cheng and Yan contributed equally to this work.
Patterns & Phenotypes
Zebrafish homologue irx1a is required for the differentiation of serotonergic neurons
Version of Record online: 8 AUG 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 9, pages 2661–2667, September 2007
How to Cite
Cheng, C. W., Yan, C. H. M., Choy, S. W., Hui, M. N. Y., Hui, C.-C. and Cheng, S. H. (2007), Zebrafish homologue irx1a is required for the differentiation of serotonergic neurons. Dev. Dyn., 236: 2661–2667. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21272
- Issue online: 17 AUG 2007
- Version of Record online: 8 AUG 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JUN 2007
- Research Grants Council of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China. Grant Number: CityU 1474/05M
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- 1997. Identification of the vertebrate Iroquois homeobox gene family with overlapping expression during early development of the nervous system. Mech Dev 69: 169–181. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Identification of a novel mouse Iroquois homeobox gene, Irx5, and chromosomal localization of all members of the mouse Iroquois gene family. Dev Dyn 218: 160–174. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Cardiomyopathy in Irx4-deficient mice is preceded by abnormal ventricular gene expression. Mol Cell Biol 21: 1730–1736. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The Iroquois family of genes: from body building to neural patterning. Development 128: 2847–2855. , , .
- 2001. Identification and expression of zebrafish Iroquois homeobox gene irx1. Dev Genes Evol 211: 442–444. , , , .
- 2005. The Iroquois homeobox gene, Irx5, is required for retinal cone bipolar cell development. Dev Biol 287: 48–60. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. The homeobox gene irx1a is required for the propagation of the neurogenic waves in the zebrafish retina. Mech Dev 123: 252–263. , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of two novel mouse Iroquois homeobox genes during neurogenesis. Mech Dev 91: 317–321. , , , .
- 2005. The homeodomain transcription factor Irx5 establishes the mouse cardiac ventricular repolarization gradient. Cell 123: 347–358. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Gata2 specifies serotonergic neurons downstream of sonic hedgehog. Development 131: 1165–1173. , , , , , .
- 2000. Dysfunction in the neural circuitry of emotion regulation—a possible prelude to violence. Science 289: 591–594. , , .
- 2002. Xiro homeoproteins coordinate cell cycle exit and primary neuron formation by upregulating neuronal-fate repressors and downregulating the cell-cycle inhibitor XGadd45-gamma. Mech Dev 119: 69–80. , , , .
- 2004. Organization of Iroquois genes in fish. Dev Genes Evol 214: 267–276. , .
- 2003. Lmx1b is essential for the development of serotonergic neurons. Nat Neurosci 6: 933–938. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The Irx gene family in zebrafish: genomic structure, evolution and initial characterization of irx5b. Dev Genes Evol 214: 277–284. , , , , .
- 2004. Role of BMP signaling and the homeoprotein Iroquois in the specification of the cranial placodal field. Dev Biol 272: 89–103. , , , , , .
- 1996. araucan and caupolican provide a link between compartment subdivisions and patterning of sensory organs and veins in the Drosophila wing. Genes Dev 10: 2935–2945. , .
- 1998. Xiro, a Xenopus homolog of the Drosophila Iroquois complex genes, controls development at the neural plate. EMBO J 17: 181–190. , , , , .
- 1999. The ETS domain factor Pet-1 is an early and precise marker of central serotonin neurons and interacts with a conserved element in serotonergic genes. J Neurosci 19: 10348–10356. , , , .
- 2003. Pet-1 ETS gene plays a critical role in 5-HT neuron development and is required for normal anxiety-like and aggressive behavior. Neuron 37: 233–247. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Specification of dopaminergic and serotonergic neurons in the vertebrate CNS. Curr Opin Neurobiol 9: 26–36. , .
- 2002. A role for iro1 and iro7 in the establishment of an anteroposterior compartment of the ectoderm adjacent to the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Development 129: 2317–2327. , , , , .
- 1992. Structure and function of the brain serotonin system. Physiol Rev 72: 165–229. , .
- 2004. Zebrafish IRX1b in the embryonic cardiac ventricle. Dev Dyn 231: 720–726. .
- 2003. The Iroquois homeobox gene Irx2 is not essential for normal development of the heart and midbrain–hindbrain boundary in mice. Mol Cell Biol 23: 8216–8225. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Sequence and expression pattern of ziro7, a novel, divergent zebrafish iroquois homeobox gene. Mech Dev 109: 383–388. , , , .
- 2004. The zebrafish Iroquois gene iro7 positions the r4/r5 boundary and controls neurogenesis in the rostral hindbrain. Development 131: 3121–3131. , , , .
- 2005. Expression of the zebrafish Iroquois genes during early nervous system formation and patterning. J Comp Neurol 492: 289–302. , , , , .
- 1996. iroquois: a prepattern gene that controls the formation of bristles on the thorax of Drosophila. Mech Dev 59: 63–72. , , .
- 1982. Immunohistochemical study of the development of serotonergic neurons in the rat CNS. Brain Res Bull 9: 559–604. , .
- 1998. The spectrum of behaviors influenced by serotonin. Biol Psychiatry 44: 151–162. .
- 2004. Relationship of tyrosine hydroxylase and serotonin immunoreactivity to sensorimotor circuitry in larval zebrafish. J Comp Neurol 480: 57–71. , .
- 1995. Expression of zebrafish GATA 3 (gta3) during gastrulation and neurulation suggests a role in the specification of cell fate. Mech Dev 51: 169–182. , , , , .
- 2001. Molecular basis of aggression. Trends Neurosci 24: 713–719. , .
- 1994. Neuropharmacology of the histaminergic neuron system in the brain and its relationship with behavioral disorders. Prog Neurobiol 42: 685–702. , , , .
- 2003. Coordinated temporal and spatial control of motor neuron and serotonergic neuron generation from a common pool of CNS progenitors. Genes Dev 17: 729–737. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Ascl1/Mash1 is required for the development of central serotonergic neurons. Nat Neurosci 7: 589–595. , , , , , .
- 2004. Hedgehog and Fgf signaling pathways regulate the development of tphR-expressing serotonergic raphe neurons in zebrafish embryos. J Neurobiol 60: 275–288. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Structure and function of invertebrate 5-HT receptors: a review. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 128: 791–804. .
- 1999. GATA-3 is involved in the development of serotonergic neurons in the caudal raphe nuclei. J Neurosci 19: RC12. , , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Development of the serotonergic system in the rat embryo: an immunocytochemical study. Brain Res Bull 10: 459–479. , .
- 2001. Expression of two novel zebrafish iroquois homologues (ziro1 and ziro5) during early development of axial structures and central nervous system. Mech Dev 105: 191–195. , , , , .
- 1997. Serotonergic modulation of behaviour: a phylogenetic overview. Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc 72: 61–95. .
- 1998. FGF and Shh signals control dopaminergic and serotonergic cell fate in the anterior neural plate. Cell 93: 755–766. , , , , .