Patterns & Phenotypes
Expression of the murine retinol dehydrogenase 10 (Rdh10) gene correlates with many sites of retinoid signalling during embryogenesis and organ differentiation
Article first published online: 11 SEP 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 10, pages 2899–2908, October 2007
How to Cite
Cammas, L., Romand, R., Fraulob, V., Mura, C. and Dollé, P. (2007), Expression of the murine retinol dehydrogenase 10 (Rdh10) gene correlates with many sites of retinoid signalling during embryogenesis and organ differentiation. Dev. Dyn., 236: 2899–2908. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21312
- Issue published online: 18 SEP 2007
- Article first published online: 11 SEP 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 JUL 2007
- European Union. Grant Numbers: EURExpress LSHG-CT-2004-512003, EVI-GENORET LSHG-CT-2005-512036
- Hôpitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg
- Institut Universitaire de France
- 1996. Retinoic acid synthesis in mouse embryos during gastrulation and craniofacial development linked to class IV alcohol dehydrogenase gene expression. J Biol Chem 271: 9526–9534. , , , , .
- 2001. The zebrafish neckless mutation reveals a requirement for raldh2 in mesodermal signals that pattern the hindbrain. Development 128: 3081–3094. , , , , .
- 2003. Retinoic acid signalling centres in the avian embryo identified by sites of expression of synthesising and catabolising enzymes. Dev Dyn 227: 114–127. , , .
- 1994. In vitro effects of retinoic acid on mouse incisor development. Arch Oral Biol 39: 891–900. , , , .
- 2007. RALDH-independent generation of retinoic acid during vertebrate embryogenesis by CYP1B1. Development 134: 1369–1383. , , , .
- 2002. The role of vitamin A in mammalian reproduction and embryonic development. Annu Rev Nutr 22: 347–381. , .
- 2002. Programmed cell death is required for palate shelf fusion and is regulated by retinoic acid. Dev Biol 245: 145–156. , , , .
- 2006. Distinct roles for retinoic acid receptors alpha and beta in early lung morphogenesis. Dev Biol 291: 12–24. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Opposing FGF and retinoid pathways control ventral neural pattern, neuronal differentiation, and segmentation during body axis extension. Neuron 40: 65–79. , , , , , .
- 2004. Opposing FGF and retinoid pathways: a signalling switch that controls differentiation and patterning onset in the extending vertebrate body axis. Bioessays 26: 857–869. , .
- 2000. Families of retinoid dehydrogenases regulating vitamin A function: production of visual pigment and retinoic acid. Eur J Biochem 267: 4315–4324. .
- 2003. Cytosolic retinoid dehydrogenases govern ubiquitous metabolism of retinol to retinaldehyde followed by tissue-specific metabolism to retinoic acid. Chem Biol Interact 143–144: 201–210. , , .
- 1999. Essential roles of retinoic acid signaling in interdigital apoptosis and control of BMP-7 expression in mouse autopods. Dev Biol 208: 30–43. , , , , , , .
- 2003. A newborn lethal defect due to inactivation of retinaldehyde dehydrogenase type 3 is prevented by maternal retinoic acid treatment. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 14036–14041. , , , , , .
- 2003. Neuroepithelial secondary organizers and cell fate specification in the developing brain. Brain Res Brain Res Rev 43: 179–191. , , , .
- 2007. Retinoids control anterior and dorsal properties in the developing forebrain. Dev Biol 303: 362–375. , , , , , .
- 2003. A caudorostral wave of RALDH2 conveys anteroposterior information to the cardiac field. Development 130: 5363–5374. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Instruction by retinoic acid of incisor morphology in the mouse embryonic mandible. Arch Oral Biol 40: 589–595. , , .
- 2003. Provitamin A conversion to retinal via the beta,beta-carotene-15,15′-oxygenase (bcox) is essential for pattern formation and differentiation during zebrafish embryogenesis. Development 130: 2173–2186. , , , , , .
- 2000. A retinoic acid synthesizing enzyme in ventral retina and telencephalon of the embryonic mouse. Mech Dev 95: 283–289. , , , , , .
- 2006. Understanding retinol metabolism: structure and function of retinol dehydrogenases. J Biol Chem 281: 13001–13004. , .
- 2002. Expression of Cre Recombinase in the developing mouse limb bud driven by a Prxl enhancer. Genesis 33: 77–80. , , , , , .
- 1994. Function of the retinoic acid receptors (RARs) during development (I). Craniofacial and skeletal abnormalities in RAR double mutants. Development 120: 2723–2748. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Retinoic acid-dependent eye morphogenesis is orchestrated by neural crest cells. Development 132: 4789–4800. , , , , , , .
- 2000. RALDH3, a retinaldehyde dehydrogenase that generates retinoic acid, is expressed in the ventral retina, otic vesicle and olfactory pit during mouse development. Mech Dev 97: 227–230. , , , , .
- 2002. Novel retinoic acid generating activities in the neural tube and heart identified by conditional rescue of Raldh2 null mutant mice. Development 129: 2271–2282. , , , .
- 2004. Retinoic acid synthesis controlled by Raldh2 is required early for limb bud initiation and then later as a proximodistal signal during apical ectodermal ridge formation. J Biol Chem 279: 26698–26706. , , .
- 2002. Stimulation of retinoic acid production and growth by ubiquitously expressed alcohol dehydrogenase Adh3. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 5337–5342. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Retinoic acid generated by Raldh2 in mesoderm is required for mouse dorsal endodermal pancreas development. Dev Dyn 232: 950–957. , , .
- 2006. Retinoic acid guides eye morphogenetic movements via paracrine signaling but is unnecessary for retinal dorsoventral patterning. Development 133: 1901–1910. , , .
- 1998. Dynamic patterns of retinoic acid synthesis and response in the developing mammalian heart. Dev Biol 199: 55–71. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Molecular mediators of retinoic acid signaling during development. Adv Dev Biol 16: 105–143. , .
- 1997. Restricted expression and retinoic acid-induced downregulation of the retinaldehyde dehydrogenase type 2 (RALDH-2) gene during mouse development. Mech Dev 62: 67–78. , , , , .
- 1999. Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is essential for early mouse post-implantation development. Nat Genet 21: 444–448. , , , .
- 2001. Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is essential for heart morphogenesis in the mouse. Development 128: 1019–1031. , , , , , .
- 2002a. Differential expression of retinoic acid-synthesizing (RALDH) enzymes during fetal development and organ differentiation in the mouse. Mech Dev 110: 165–171. , , , , .
- 2002b. Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is required for forelimb growth and anteroposterior patterning in the mouse. Development 129: 3563–3574. , , , , .
- 2003. The regional pattern of retinoic acid synthesis by RALDH2 is essential for the development of posterior pharyngeal arches and the enteric nervous system. Development 130: 2525–2534. , , , , , .
- 2006. Regulation of murine embryonic patterning and morphogenesis by retinoic acid signaling. Adv Dev Biol 16: 65–104. , , .
- 2006. Once and again: retinoic acid signaling in the developing and regenerating olfactory pathway. J Neurobiol 66: 653–676. , .
- 2000. Retinoids in embryonal development. Physiol Rev 80: 1021–1054. , , , .
- 2007. RDH10 is essential for synthesis of embryonic retinoic acid and is required for limb, craniofacial, and organ development. Genes Dev 21: 1113–1124. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Autoregulation of Shh expression and Shh induction of cell death suggest a mechanism for modulating polarising activity during chick limb development. Development 127: 4811–4823. , .
- 2006. Retinoic-acid signalling in node ectoderm and posterior neural plate directs left-right patterning of somitic mesoderm. Nat Cell Biol 8: 271–277. , .
- 1987. Identification and spatial distribution of retinoids in the developing chick limb bud. Nature 327: 625–628. , .
- 1985. A quantitative analysis of the effect of all-trans-retinoic acid on the pattern of chick wing development. Dev Biol 109: 82–95. , , .
- 2005. Retinoic acid controls the bilateral symmetry of somite formation in the mouse embryo. Science 308: 563–566. , , , , , .
- 1994. Stage and tissue-specific expression of the alcohol dehydrogenase 1 (Adh-1) gene during mouse development. Dev Dyn 199: 199–213. , , , , .
- 2006. Retinoic acid regulates morphogenesis and patterning of posterior foregut derivatives. Dev Biol 297: 433–445. , , , .
- 1997. A retinol-binding protein receptor-mediated mechanism for uptake of vitamin A to postimplantation rat embryos. Biol Reprod 57: 751–755. , , , .
- 2005. The mechanisms of dorsoventral patterning in the vertebrate neural tube. Dev Biol 282: 1–13. , .
- 2002. Cloning and characterization of a novel all-trans retinol short-chain dehydrogenase/reductase from the RPE. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43: 3365–3372. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Identification of RDH10, an All-trans Retinol Dehydrogenase, in Retinal Muller Cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45: 3857–3862. , , , , , .
- 2007. Altered vitamin A homeostasis and increased size and adiposity in the rdh1-null mouse. FASEB J [Epub ahead of print]. , , , , .