Patterns & Phenotypes
Identification of candidate secreted factors involved in trigeminal placode induction
Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 236, Issue 10, pages 2925–2935, October 2007
How to Cite
McCabe, K. L., Shiau, C. E. and Bronner-Fraser, M. (2007), Identification of candidate secreted factors involved in trigeminal placode induction. Dev. Dyn., 236: 2925–2935. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21325
- Issue online: 18 SEP 2007
- Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 AUG 2007
- NIH. Grant Number: R01 DE16459
- 2003. Major components of the insulin-like growth factor axis are expressed early in chicken embryogenesis, with IGF binding protein (IGFBP) -5 expression subject to regulation by Sonic Hedgehog. Anat Embryol (Berl) 207: 73–84. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Binding of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) I or II to IGF-binding protein-2 enables it to bind to heparin and extracellular matrix. Endocrinology 137: 4571–4575. , , .
- 2006. Sensory organs: making and breaking the pre-placodal region. Curr Top Dev Biol 72: 167–204. , .
- 2006. Lens specification is the ground state of all sensory placodes, from which FGF promotes olfactory identity. Dev Cell 11: 505–517. , , , .
- 2001. Vertebrate cranial placodes I. Embryonic induction. Dev Biol 232: 1–61. , .
- 1999. Competence, specification and induction of Pax-3 in the trigeminal placode. Development 126: 147–156. , , , .
- 2004. From placode to polarization: new tunes in inner ear development. Development 131: 4119–4130. , .
- 2000. Alkaline fixation drastically improves the signal of in situ hybridization. Nucleic Acids Res 28: E46. , , .
- 1999. Induction of the epibranchial placodes. Development 126: 895–902. , , , .
- 1996. Sertoli cell signaling by Desert hedgehog regulates the male germline. Curr Biol 6: 298–304. , , .
- 2005. Role of the hindbrain in dorsoventral but not anteroposterior axial specification of the inner ear. Development 132: 2115–2124. , , .
- 1992. Identification of a cysteine-rich receptor for fibroblast growth factors. Mol Cell Biol 12: 5600–5609. , , , .
- 1998. Endogenous and ectopic expression of noggin suggests a conserved mechanism for regulation of BMP function during limb and somite patterning. Dev Biol 197: 205–217. , .
- 2001. Comparative analysis of the expression patterns of Wnts and Frizzleds during early myogenesis in chick embryos. Mech Dev 104: 133–138. , , , .
- 1994. Fibroblast growth factor receptor (FGFR) 3. Alternative splicing in immunoglobulin-like domain III creates a receptor highly specific for acidic FGF/FGF-1. J Biol Chem 269: 11620–11627. , , , , .
- 1995. Cloning, sequencing, and expressional analysis of the chick homologue of follistatin. Dev Genet 17: 65–77. , , , , .
- 1985. Mapping of the early neural primordium in quail-chick chimeras. I. Developmental relationships between placodes, facial ectoderm, and prosencephalon. Dev Biol 110: 422–439. , .
- 1987. Mapping of the early neural primordium in quail-chick chimeras. II. The prosencephalic neural plate and neural folds: implications for the genesis of cephalic human congenital abnormalities. Dev Biol 120: 198–214. , .
- 2001. Coordinate expression of Fgf8, Otx2, Bmp4, and Shh in the rostral prosencephalon during development of the telencephalic and optic vesicles. Neuroscience 108: 183–206. , , , .
- 1983. Contributions of placodal and neural crest cells to avian cranial peripheral ganglia. Am J Anat 166: 445–468. , .
- 1991. Presence of IDF45 (mlGFBP-3) binding sites on chick embryo fibroblasts. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 179: 495–501. , , , .
- 2003. Biology of insulin-like growth factors in development. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 69: 257–271. , .
- 2006. Comparative expression of mouse and chicken Shisa homologues during early development. Dev Dyn 235: 2567–2573. , , , , .
- 2006. Wnt signaling: multiple pathways, multiple receptors, and multiple transcription factors. J Biol Chem 281: 22429–22433. , .
- 2001. The whereabouts of a morphogen: direct evidence for short- and graded long-range activity of hedgehog signaling peptides. Dev Biol 236: 364–386. , , , .
- 2005. The induction of the otic placode. New York: Springer-Verlag. p 10–42. .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1995. Wnt expression patterns in chick embryo nervous system. Mech Dev 52: 9–25. , , .
- 2006. Signaling from Smo to Ci/Gli: conservation and divergence of Hedgehog pathways from Drosophila to vertebrates. Development 133: 3–14. , .
- 1992. Pattern of expression of transforming growth factor-beta 4 mRNA and protein in the developing chicken embryo. Dev Dyn 195: 276–289. , , , , .
- 1994. Expression of transforming growth factor-beta 2 and beta 3 mRNAs and proteins in the developing chicken embryo. Differentiation 55: 105–118. , , , , .
- 1991. The human fibroblast growth factor receptor genes: a common structural arrangement underlies the mechanisms for generating receptor forms that differ in their third immunoglobulin domain. Mol Cell Biol 11: 4627–4634. , , , , .
- 1995. Insulin-like growth factors and their binding proteins: biological actions. Endocr Rev 16: 3–34. , .
- 2001. Temporally and spatially restricted expression of the helix-loop-helix transcriptional regulator Id1 during avian embryogenesis. Mech Dev 109: 331–335. , .
- 2003. A restrictive role for Hedgehog signalling during otic specification in Xenopus. Dev Biol 260: 325–338. , , .
- 2005. FGF8 initiates inner ear induction in chick and mouse. Genes Dev 19: 603–613. , , , , .
- 2002. Fgf8 and Fgf3 are required for zebrafish ear placode induction, maintenance and inner ear patterning. Mech Dev 119: 91–108. , .
- 1999. Expression of ptc and gli genes in talpid3 suggests bifurcation in Shh pathway. Development 126: 2397–2407. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. A role for the roof plate and its resident TGFbeta-related proteins in neuronal patterning in the dorsal spinal cord. Cell 91: 127–138. , , .
- 2002. Sonic hedgehog regulates otic capsule chondrogenesis and inner ear development in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol 248: 240–250. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Fgf3 and Fgf8 dependent and independent transcription factors are required for otic placode specification. Development 130: 2213–2224. , , , , , , .
- 2007. A spatial and temporal map of FGF/Erk1/2 activity and response repertoires in the early chick embryo. Dev Biol 302: 536–552. , , , .
- 2002. Fgf3 and Fgf8 are required together for formation of the otic placode and vesicle. Development 129: 2099–2108. , , , , , .
- 1995. Distribution of Sonic hedgehog peptides in the developing chick and mouse embryo. Development 121: 2537–2547. , , , , .
- 2006. Competence of cranial ectoderm to respond to Fgf signaling suggests a two-step model of otic placode induction. Development 133: 877–887. , .
- 2000. Controlling TGF-beta signaling. Genes Dev 14: 627–644. , .
- 2004. Discovery of genes implicated in placode formation. Dev Biol 274: 462–477. , , , .
- 1999. Dickkopf genes are co-ordinately expressed in mesodermal lineages. Mech Dev 87: 45–56. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Activin-binding protein from rat ovary is follistatin. Science 247: 836–838. , , , , , .
- 1993. Spatial integration among cells forming the cranial peripheral nervous system. J Neurobiol 24: 248–261. .
- 2000. Involvement of fibroblast growth factor (FGF)18-FGF8 signaling in specification of left-right asymmetry and brain and limb development of the chick embryo. Mech Dev 95: 55–66. , , , .
- 2006. Wnt signals mediate a fate decision between otic placode and epidermis. Development 133: 865–875. , , , , .
- 1985. Direct demonstration of rapid insulin-like growth factor II Receptor internalization and recycling in rat adipocytes. Insulin stimulates 125I-insulin-like growth factor II degradation by modulating the IGF-II receptor recycling process. J Biol Chem 260: 9435–9442. , , .
- 1996. Receptor specificity of the fibroblast growth factor family. J Biol Chem 271: 15292–15297. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Insulin/insulin-like growth factor I hybrid receptors have different biological characteristics depending on the insulin receptor isoform involved. J Biol Chem 277: 39684–39695. , , , , , .
- 2004. A direct role for Fgf but not Wnt in otic placode induction. Development 131: 923–931. , , , .
- 1996. Dorsoventral patterning in Xenopus: inhibition of ventral signals by direct binding of chordin to BMP-4. Cell 86: 589–598. , , , .
- 1999. Insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 is partially responsible for high-serum-induced apoptosis in PC-3 prostate cancer cells. J Endocrinol 163: 487–494. , , , .
- 2002. Specification of the mammalian cochlea is dependent on Sonic hedgehog. Genes Dev 16: 2365–2378. , , , , .
- 2000. Primer3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmers. Methods Mol Biol 132: 365–386. , .
- 2005. Organising cells into tissues: new roles for cell adhesion molecules in planar cell polarity. Curr Opin Cell Biol 17: 482–488. , .
- 2006. Induction and specification of cranial placodes. Dev Biol 294: 303–351. .
- 2002. Wnt6 marks sites of epithelial transformations in the chick embryo. Mech Dev 114: 143–148. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Regulative response of the cranial neural tube after neural fold ablation: spatiotemporal nature of neural crest regeneration and up-regulation of Slug. Development 121: 4103–4115. , , , .
- 1996. Early developmental expression and experimental axis determination by the chicken Vg1 gene. Curr Biol 6: 1476–1486. , , .
- 1999. Expression of Fgf4 during early development of the chick embryo. Mech Dev 85: 189–192. , .
- 1997. Neural tube-ectoderm interactions are required for trigeminal placode formation. Development 124: 4287–4295. , , , .
- 2000. Characterization of avian frizzled genes in cranial placode development. Mech Dev 93: 195–200. , , , .
- 2003. Forced activation of Wnt signaling alters morphogenesis and sensory organ identity in the chicken inner ear. Dev Biol 261: 149–164. , , , , .
- 2004. Early development of the cranial sensory nervous system: from a common field to individual placodes. Dev Biol 276: 1–15. .
- 1998. Chordin regulates primitive streak development and the stability of induced neural cells, but is not sufficient for neural induction in the chick embryo. Development 125: 507–519. , , , , , .
- 2005. Functions and regulations of fibroblast growth factor signaling during embryonic development. Dev Biol 287: 390–402. , .
- 1998. Somitogenesis controlled by Noggin. Dev Biol 202: 172–182. , .
- 1996. A role for BMP-4 in the development of subcutaneous cartilage. Mech Dev 57: 69–78. , .
- 1992. Differential splicing in the extracellular region of fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 generates receptor variants with different ligand-binding specificities. Mol Cell Biol 12: 82–88. , , , , , .
- 2003. Fgf3 and Fgf10 are required for mouse otic placode induction. Development 130: 3379–3390. , .
- 1995. Osteogenic protein-1 binds to activin type II receptors and induces certain activin-like effects. J Cell Biol 130: 217–226. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. The Spemann organizer signal noggin binds and inactivates bone morphogenetic protein 4. Cell 86: 599–606. , , .