Drs. Chang and Vincent contributed equally to this work.
The A17 enhancer directs expression of Myf5 to muscle satellite cells but Mrf4 to myonuclei
Article first published online: 18 OCT 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Stem Cells
Volume 236, Issue 12, pages 3419–3426, December 2007
How to Cite
Chang, T. H.-T., Vincent, S. D., Buckingham, M. E. and Zammit, P. S. (2007), The A17 enhancer directs expression of Myf5 to muscle satellite cells but Mrf4 to myonuclei. Dev. Dyn., 236: 3419–3426. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21356
- Issue published online: 14 NOV 2007
- Article first published online: 18 OCT 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 AUG 2007
- Medical Research Council UK
- Association Française contre les Myopathies
- Muscular Dystrophy Campaign
- MYORES from the European Commission 6th Framework Programme. Grant Number: 511978
- 2003. Myosin heavy chain isoforms in postnatal muscle development of mice. Biol Cell 95: 399–406. , , , .
- 2006. A novel genetic hierarchy functions during hypaxial myogenesis: Pax3 directly activates Myf5 in muscle progenitor cells in the limb. Genes Dev 20: 2450–2464. , , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of CD34 and Myf5 defines the majority of quiescent adult skeletal muscle satellite cells. J Cell Biol 151: 1221–1234. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. The mouse MRF4 promoter is trans-activated directly and indirectly by muscle-specific transcription factors. J Biol Chem 270: 2889–2892. , , .
- 1991. The muscle regulatory gene, Myf-6, has a biphasic pattern of expression during early mouse development. J Cell Biol 113: 1255–1265. , , , , , .
- 2006. The Wnt/beta-catenin pathway regulates Gli-mediated Myf5 expression during somitogenesis. Development 133: 3723–3732. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Targeted inactivation of the muscle regulatory gene Myf-5 results in abnormal rib development and perinatal death. Cell 71: 369–382. , , , .
- 2003. Myf5 expression in somites and limb buds of mouse embryos is controlled by two distinct distal enhancer activities. Development 130: 3297–3307. , , .
- 2001. A BAC transgenic analysis of the Mrf4/Myf5 locus reveals interdigitated elements that control activation and maintenance of gene expression during muscle development. Development 128: 1857–1868. , , , .
- 2004. An enhancer directs differential expression of the linked Mrf4 and Myf5 myogenic regulatory genes in the mouse. Dev Biol 269: 595–608. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Nestin-GFP reporter expression defines the quiescent state of skeletal muscle satellite cells. Dev Biol 304: 246–259. , , , , .
- 2007. A role for the myogenic determination gene Myf5 in adult regenerative myogenesis.. [Epub ahead of print] , , , , , .
- 2007. Six proteins regulate the activation of Myf5 expression in embryonic mouse limbs. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104: 11310–11315. , , , , , .
- 2002. Myf5 is a direct target of long-range Shh signaling and Gli regulation for muscle specification. Genes Dev 16: 114–126. , , , , , ,
- 2000. Modular long-range regulation of Myf5 reveals unexpected heterogeneity between skeletal muscles in the mouse embryo. Development 127: 4455–4467. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Analysis of a key regulatory region upstream of the Myf5 gene reveals multiple phases of myogenesis, orchestrated at each site by a combination of elements dispersed throughout the locus. Development 130: 3415–3426. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Expression of the muscle regulatory factor MRF4 during somite and skeletal myofiber development. Dev Biol 147: 144–156. , , , .
- 2004. Mrf4 determines skeletal muscle identity in Myf5:Myod double-mutant mice. Nature 431: 466–471. , , , , , , .
- 1994. The diversity of muscle fibre types and its origin during development. In: EngelAG, Franzini-ArmstrongC, editors. Myology. New York: McGraw Hill Inc. p 119–133. , .
- 1961. Satellite cell of skeletal muscle fibers. J Biophys Biochem Cytol 9: 493–495. .
- 2005. Gli2 and Gli3 have redundant and context-dependent function in skeletal muscle formation. Development 132: 345–357. , , , , , .
- 1989. Expression of MyoD1 coincides with terminal differentiation in determined but inducible muscle cells. EMBO J 8: 2203–2207. , , , , .
- 1993. Isolated sequences from the linked Myf-5 and MRF4 genes drive distinct patterns of muscle-specific expression in transgenic mice. Development 118: 61–69. , , , .
- 2002. A fast fiber enhancer exists in the muscle regulatory factor 4 gene promoter. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 299: 7–13. , .
- 1997. Distal regulatory elements control MRF4 gene expression in early and late myogenic cell populations. Dev Dyn 208: 299–312. , , , , , .
- 2005. A Pax3/Pax7-dependent population of skeletal muscle progenitor cells. Nature 435: 948–953. , , , .
- 1992. Gamma irradiation prevents compensatory hypertrophy of overloaded mouse extensor digitorum longus muscle. J Appl Physiol 73: 2538–2543. , .
- 1995. Culturing satellite cells from living single muscle fiber explants. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 31: 773–779. , , , .
- 1978. Satellite cells are mitotically quiescent in mature mouse muscle: an EM and radioautographic study. J Exp Zool 206: 451–456. , , .
- 2001. The potential of muscle stem cells. Dev Cell 1: 333–342. , , .
- 1998. Overlapping roles and asymmetrical cross-regulation of the USF proteins in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 3758–3763. , , , , .
- 2000. The expression of Myf5 in the developing mouse embryo is controlled by discrete and dispersed enhancers specific for particular populations of skeletal muscle precursors. Development 127: 3745–3757. , , , , , .
- 2002. The early epaxial enhancer is essential for the initial expression of the skeletal muscle determination gene Myf5 but not for subsequent, multiple phases of somitic myogenesis. Development 129: 4571–4580. , , , , , .
- 1977. Serial passaging and differentiation of myogenic cells isolated from dystrophic mouse muscle. Nature 270: 725–727. , .
- 2004. Myf5 expression in satellite cells and spindles in adult muscle is controlled by separate genetic elements. Dev Biol 273: 454–465. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. The skeletal muscle satellite cell: the stem cell that came in from the cold. J Histochem Cytochem 54: 1177–1191. , , .
- 1997. Faithful expression of the Myf-5 gene during mouse myogenesis requires distant control regions: a transgene approach using yeast artificial chromosomes. Dev Biol 192: 172–180. , , .