Rat pancreatic islet is formed by unification of multiple endocrine cell clusters
Version of Record online: 31 OCT 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Stem Cells
Volume 236, Issue 12, pages 3451–3458, December 2007
How to Cite
Hara, A., Kadoya, Y., Kojima, I. and Yamashina, S. (2007), Rat pancreatic islet is formed by unification of multiple endocrine cell clusters. Dev. Dyn., 236: 3451–3458. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21359
- Issue online: 14 NOV 2007
- Version of Record online: 31 OCT 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 SEP 2007
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science. Grant Numbers: 13557003, 13590193, 16590151, 18590193
- Integrative Research Program of the Graduate School of Medical Science, Kitasato University
- 2001. Association between islets of Langerhans and pancreatic ductal system in adult rat. Where endocrine and exocrine meet together? Diabetologia 44: 575–584. , , , .
- 1994. Islets of Langerhans: morphology and its implications. In: KahnCR, WeirGC, eds. Joslin's diabetes mellitus. 13th ed. Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger. p 15–25. , .
- 1994. Cytokeratins as markers of ductal cell differentiation and islet neogenesis in the neonatal rat pancreas. Diabetes 43: 1279–1283. , , , , .
- 2006. Specifying pancreatic endocrine cell fates. Mech Dev 123: 501–512. , , , .
- 1996. Cadherins regulate aggregation of pancreatic β-cells in vivo. Development 122: 2895–2902. , , .
- 1991. Polyclonal origin of pancreatic islets in aggregation mouse chimera. Development 112: 1115–1121. , , , , , .
- 2000. Pax genes and the differentiation of hormone-producing endocrine cells in the pancreas. Mech Dev 92: 47–54. , , .
- 1999. Neural cell adhesion molecule (N-CAM) is required for cell type segregation and normal ultrastructure in pancreatic islets. J Cell Biol 144: 325–337. , , , , , .
- 1944. The origin and differentiation of the alpha and beta cells in the pancreatic islets of the rat. Am J Anat 75: 369–403. .
- 2002. Defining the cell lineages of the islets of Langerhans using transgenic mice. Int J Dev Biol 46: 97–103. .
- 1991. Embryogenesis of the murine endocrine pancreas; early expression of pancreatic polypeptide gene. Development 113: 1257–1265. , , , , , .
- 2003. Differentiation and proliferation of endocrine cells in the regenerating rat pancreas after 90% pancreatectomy. Arch Histol Cytol 66: 163–174. , , , , , .
- 1996. PYY in developing murine islet cells: comparisons to development of islet hormones, NPY, and BrdU incorporation. J Histochem Cytochem 44: 809–817. , , .
- 2004. Gene regulatory factors in pancreatic development. Dev Dyn 229: 176–200. .
- 2001. Intercellular signals regulating pancreas development and function. Genes Dev 15: 111–127. , .
- 2005. Pancreatic epithelial plasticity mediated by acinar cell transdifferentiation and generation of nestin-positive intermediates. Development 132: 3767–3776. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. TGF-β plays a key role in morphogenesis of the pancreatic Islets of Langerhans by controlling the activity of the matrix metalloproteinase MMP-2. J Cell Biol 143: 827–836. , , , .
- 1998. Expression of non-classical islet hormone-like peptides during the embryonic development of the pancreas. Microsc Res Tech 43: 313–321. , , , , .
- 1972. Development of the embryonic endocrine pancreas. In: RoyOG, EdwinBA, DonaldFS, NorbertF, StephenRG, editors. Handbook of physiology. Washington: American Physiological Society. p 25–66. , .
- 2004. Immunocytochemical localization of secretogranin III in the endocrine pancreas of male rats. Arch Histol Cytol 67: 57–64. , , , , , .
- 1993. Precursor cells of mouse endocrine pancreas coexpress insulin, glucagon and the neural proteins tyrosine hydroxylase and neuropeptide Y, but not pancreatic polypeptide. Development 118: 1031–1039. , , , , .
- 1999. The serous demilune of rat sublingual gland is an artificial structure produced by conventional fixation. Arch Histol Cytol 62: 347–354. , , .