A. Kwakowsky and M. Schwirtlich contributed equally to this work.
Patterns & Phenotypes
GAD isoforms exhibit distinct spatiotemporal expression patterns in the developing mouse lens: Correlation with Dlx2 and Dlx5
Article first published online: 29 OCT 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Stem Cells
Volume 236, Issue 12, pages 3532–3544, December 2007
How to Cite
Kwakowsky, A., Schwirtlich, M., Zhang, Q., Eisenstat, D. D., Erdélyi, F., Baranyi, M., Katarova, Z. D. and Szabó, G. (2007), GAD isoforms exhibit distinct spatiotemporal expression patterns in the developing mouse lens: Correlation with Dlx2 and Dlx5. Dev. Dyn., 236: 3532–3544. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21361
- Issue published online: 14 NOV 2007
- Article first published online: 29 OCT 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 SEP 2007
- OTKA. Grant Number: T020638
- Foundation Fighting Blindness Canada
- Manitoba Institute for Child Health, for a graduate studentship
- 2005. Epithelial localization of green fluorescent protein-positive cells in epididymis of the GAD67-GFP knock-in mouse. J Androl 26: 568–577. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997a. Interneuron migration from basal forebrain to neocortex: dependence on Dlx genes. Science 278: 474–476. , , , .
- 1997b. Mutations of the homeobox genes Dlx-1 and Dlx-2 disrupt the striatal subventricular zone and differentiation of late born striatal neurons. Neuron 19: 27–37. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Differential origins of neocortical projection and local circuit neurons: role of Dlx genes in neocortical interneuronogenesis. Cereb Cortex 9: 646–654. , , , .
- 2002. Distinct origins of neocortical projection neurons and interneurons in vivo. Cereb Cortex 12: 702–709. , , , , .
- 1997. Cleft palate and decreased brain gamma-aminobutyric acid in mice lacking the 67-kDa isoform of glutamic acid decarboxylase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 6496–6499. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Widespread expression of the peripheral myelin protein-22 gene (PMP22) in neural and non-neural tissues during murine development. J Neurosci Res 42: 733–741. , , , , , , .
- 1998. GABAergic cells and signals in CNS development. Perspect Dev Neurobiol 5: 305–322. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Lens organelle degradation. Exp Eye Res 74: 1–6. .
- 1999. Molecular architecture of the lens fiber cell basal membrane complex. J Cell Sci 112(pt 13): 2155–2165. , , .
- 2003. Kinetic differences between the isoforms of glutamate decarboxylase: implications for the regulation of GABA synthesis. J Neurochem 86: 879–887. , , .
- 2001. Changes in adhesion complexes define stages in the differentiation of lens fiber cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 42: 727–734. , , , , .
- 1994. Analysis of the anatomical distribution of GAD67 mRNA encoding truncated glutamic acid decarboxylase proteins in the embryonic rat brain. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 77: 77–87. , , , .
- 2002. Excitatory actions of gaba during development: the nature of the nurture. Nat Rev Neurosci 3: 728–739. .
- 2003. Crystallins, genes and cataract. Prog Drug Res 60: 205–262. .
- 2001. Development- and differentiation-dependent reorganization of intermediate filaments in fiber cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 42: 735–742. , , .
- 1989. Recommendations for crystallin nomenclature. Exp Eye Res 48: 465–466. , , .
- 2004. Ageing and vision: structure, stability and function of lens crystallins. Prog Biophys Mol Biol 86: 407–485. , , , , , .
- 1990. Developmentally regulated expression of an exon containing a stop codon in the gene for glutamic acid decarboxylase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87: 8771–8775. , , .
- 2003. Expression of the genes GAD67 and Distal-less-4 in the forebrain of Xenopus laevis confirms a common pattern in tetrapods. J Comp Neurol 461: 370–393. , , , .
- 2005. Palm is expressed in both developing and adult mouse lens and retina. BMC Ophthalmol 5: 14. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Distinctive interactions in the holoenzyme formation for two isoforms of glutamate decarboxylase. Biochim Biophys Acta 1645: 63–71. , , , , .
- 2005. Mice lacking Dlx1 show subtype-specific loss of interneurons, reduced inhibition and epilepsy. Nat Neurosci 8: 1059–1068. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Cleft palate in mice with a targeted mutation in the gamma-aminobutyric acid-producing enzyme glutamic acid decarboxylase 67. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 11451–11455. , , , .
- 2004. Mafs, Prox1, and Pax6 can regulate chicken betaB1-crystallin gene expression. J Biol Chem 279: 11088–11095. , , , , .
- 1995. Deficiency of the beta 3 subunit of the type A gamma-aminobutyric acid receptor causes cleft palate in mice. Nat Genet 11: 344–346. , , , , , .
- 2003. Dlx1, Dlx2, Pax6, Brn3b, and Chx10 homeobox gene expression defines the retinal ganglion and inner nuclear layers of the developing and adult mouse retina. J Comp Neurol 461: 187–204. , , , , .
- 2005. Dlx1 and Dlx2 function is necessary for terminal differentiation and survival of late-born retinal ganglion cells in the developing mouse retina. Development 132: 311–322. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Reassessing the Dlx code: the genetic regulation of branchial arch skeletal pattern and development. J Anat 207: 501–561. , , , .
- 2001. Differential expression of GAD(65) and GAD(67) during the development of the rat retina. Brain Res 919: 242–249. , , , , , .
- 2002. Prox1 is differentially localized during lens development. Mech Dev 112: 195–198. , , , .
- 2004. Ectopic Pax6 expression disturbs lens fiber cell differentiation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45: 3589–3598. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of proliferation, cell fate specification and differentiation by the homeodomain proteins Prox1, Six3, and Chx10 in the developing retina. Cell Cycle 2: 350–357. .
- 1999. DLX-1, DLX-2, and DLX-5 expression define distinct stages of basal forebrain differentiation. J Comp Neurol 414: 217–237. , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Two genes encode distinct glutamate decarboxylases. Neuron 7: 91–100. , , , , .
- 1994. Comparative localization of two forms of glutamic acid decarboxylase and their mRNAs in rat brain supports the concept of functional differences between the forms. J Neurosci 14: 1834–1855. , , , , .
- 1998. Presenilin expression in the ocular lens. Curr Eye Res 17: 947–952. ,
- 2004. Synapsin and synaptic vesicle protein expression during embryonic and post-natal lens fiber cell differentiation. Mol Vis 10: 794–804. , , , , , .
- 2005. Developmental regulation of gonadotropin-releasing hormone gene expression by the MSX and DLX homeodomain protein families. J Biol Chem 280: 19156–19165. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Cell cycle regulation in the developing lens. Semin Cell Dev Biol 17: 686–697. .
- 2003. Nonneuronal expression of the GABA(A) beta3 subunit gene is required for normal palate development in mice. Dev Biol 254: 93–101. , , , .
- 2000. Immunocytochemical analysis of the mouse retina. J Comp Neurol 424: 1–23. , .
- 1997. Mice devoid of gamma-aminobutyrate type A receptor beta3 subunit have epilepsy, cleft palate, and hypersensitive behavior. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 4143–4148. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. GABA and histogenesis in fetal and neonatal mouse brain lacking both the isoforms of glutamic acid decarboxylase. Neurosci Res 33: 187–194. , , .
- 1990. Molecular Identification of the 62 kd Form of Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase from the Mouse. Eur J Neurosci 2: 190–202. , , , .
- 2000. Domain-restricted expression of two glutamic acid decarboxylase genes in midgestation mouse embryos. J Comp Neurol 424: 607–627. , , , , .
- 1992. The atlas of mouse development. San Diego: Academic Press. xvi, 512 p. .
- 1999. Regulation of lens fiber cell differentiation by transcription factor c-Maf. J Biol Chem 274: 19254–19260. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Requirement for the c-Maf transcription factor in crystallin gene regulation and lens development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 3781–3785. , , , , .
- 2005. Gastrointestinal phenotype of GAD67lacZ transgenic mice with early postnatal lethality. Histol Histopathol 20: 75–82. , , , , .
- 2007. Prox1 expression patterns in the developing and adult murine brain. Dev Dyn 236: 518–524. , .
- 2000. Stabilization and remodeling of the membrane skeleton during lens fiber cell differentiation and maturation. Dev Dyn 217: 257–270. , , .
- 2003. The Dlx5 homeodomain gene is essential for olfactory development and connectivity in the mouse. Mol Cell Neurosci 22: 530–543. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Transient expression of glutamate decarboxylase and gamma-amino butyric acid in embryonic lens fibers of the rat. Dev Dyn 203: 448–455. , , , .
- 2003. Beta-amyloid secretases and beta-amloid degrading enzyme expression in lens. Mol Vis 9: 179–183. , , , , .
- 1997. Dlx genes encode DNA-binding proteins that are expressed in an overlapping and sequential pattern during basal ganglia differentiation. Dev Dyn 210: 498–512. , , , , .
- 1995. GABA and glutamate depolarize cortical progenitor cells and inhibit DNA synthesis. Neuron 15: 1287–1298. , , , , .
- 2005. Growth factor regulation of lens development. Dev Biol 280: 1–14. , .
- 2005. Glutamate and GABA receptor signalling in the developing brain. Neuroscience 130: 567–580. , , .
- 1993. Ontogeny of GABAA receptor subunit mRNAs in rat spinal cord and dorsal root ganglia. J Comp Neurol 338: 337–359. , , , , .
- 2001. Dynamic expression of a glutamate decarboxylase gene in multiple non-neural tissues during mouse development. BMC Dev Biol 1: 1. , .
- 1996. Change in the concentrations of amino acids in CSF and serum of patients with essential tremor. J Neural Transm 103: 555–560. , , .
- 2001. A long, remarkable journey: tangential migration in the telencephalon. Nat Rev Neurosci 2: 780–790. , .
- 1993. Regulation of gamma-aminobutyric acid synthesis in the brain. J Neurochem 60: 395–407. , .
- 2000. Structural features and regulatory properties of the brain glutamate decarboxylases. Neurochem Int 37: 111–119. , , , .
- 2005. The many roles of starburst amacrine cells. Trends Neurosci 28: 395–396. .
- 1978. Cell division, cell elongation and the co-ordination of crystallin gene expression during lens morphogenesis in the rat. J Embryol Exp Morphol 45: 271–281. .
- 1999. Lens development. Eye 13(pt 3b): 425–437. , , , , .
- 2002. Lens epithelial cell differentiation. Exp Eye Res 75: 485–490. .
- 1970. Terminal lens cell differentiation. I. Histological and microspectrophotometric analysis of nuclear degeneration. Exp Cell Res 59: 43–56. , .
- 1999. Placental failure in mice lacking the homeobox gene Dlx3. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 162–167. , , , , .
- 2000. Sequential activation of transcription factors in lens induction. Dev Growth Differ 42: 437–448. , .
- 1993. Prox 1, a prospero-related homeobox gene expressed during mouse development. Mech Dev 44: 3–16. , , , , , .
- 2003. Ca2+-mobilization and cell contraction after muscarinic cholinergic stimulation of the chick embryo lens. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44: 4813–4819. , , .
- 2002a. Developmental neurotransmitters? Neuron 36: 989–991. , .
- 2002b. Is there more to GABA than synaptic inhibition? Nat Rev Neurosci 3: 715–727. , .
- 2002. Developmental functions of the Distal-less/Dlx homeobox genes. Development 129: 4371–4386. , .
- 1981. Lens differentiation in vertebrates. A review of cellular and molecular features. Differentiation 19: 134–153. .
- 1989. Lens crystallins and their genes: diversity and tissue-specific expression. FASEB J 3: 1933–1940. .
- 2000. Cell migration from the ganglionic eminences is required for the development of hippocampal GABAergic interneurons. Neuron 28: 727–740. , , , , , , .
- 1994. DLX-2, MASH-1, and MAP-2 expression and bromodeoxyuridine incorporation define molecularly distinct cell populations in the embryonic mouse forebrain. J Neurosci 14: 6370–6383. , , , , , .
- 2005. Pax6-dependence of Six3, Eya1 and Dach1 expression during lens and nasal placode induction. Gene Expr Patterns 6: 110–118. , , , , .
- 1995. Null mutation of Dlx-2 results in abnormal morphogenesis of proximal first and second branchial arch derivatives and abnormal differentiation in the forebrain. Genes Dev 9: 2523–2538. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Role of the Dlx homeobox genes in proximodistal patterning of the branchial arches: mutations of Dlx-1, Dlx-2, and Dlx-1 and -2 alter morphogenesis of proximal skeletal and soft tissue structures derived from the first and second arches. Dev Biol 185: 165–184. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Trophic actions of GABA on neuronal development. Trends Neurosci 28: 278–283. , .
- 2004. Roles of Maf family proteins in lens development. Dev Dyn 229: 440–448. , .
- 2002. L-Maf, a downstream target of Pax6, is essential for chick lens development. Mech Dev 116: 61–73. , , .
- 2000. Regulation of mouse lens fiber cell development and differentiation by the Maf gene. Development 127: 307–317. , , , .
- 2002. The Dlx5 and Dlx6 homeobox genes are essential for craniofacial, axial, and appendicular skeletal development. Genes Dev 16: 1089–1101. , , , .
- 1995. Programmed cell death in development. Int Rev Cytol 163: 105–173. , .
- 1993. Association of GAD-65, but not of GAD-67, with the Golgi complex of transfected Chinese hamster ovary cells mediated by the N-terminal region. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90: 3073–3077. , , , , , , .
- 2002a. Ectopic expression of the Dlx genes induces glutamic acid decarboxylase and Dlx expression. Development 129: 245–252. , , , .
- 2002b. Expression from a Dlx gene enhancer marks adult mouse cortical GABAergic neurons. Cereb Cortex 12: 75–85. , , , .
- 1994. Distinct protein forms are produced from alternatively spliced bicistronic glutamic acid decarboxylase mRNAs during development. Mol Cell Biol 14: 7535–7545. , , .
- 2000. Differential regulation of adult and embryonic glutamate decarboxylases in rat dentate granule cells after kainate-induced limbic seizures. Neuroscience 100: 287–295. , , , , .
- 2005. Expression of GABA(A) and GABA(B) receptors in rat growth plate chondrocytes: activation of the GABA receptors promotes proliferation of mouse chondrogenic ATDC5 cells. Mol Cell Biochem 273: 117–126. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Multidirectional and multizonal tangential migration of GABAergic interneurons in the developing cerebral cortex. Development 133: 2167–2176. , , , , .
- 1997. Role of Dlx-1 and Dlx-2 genes in patterning of the murine dentition. Development 124: 4811–4818. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Characterization of the mouse Prox1 gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 248: 684–689. , , , .
- 2005. Development of GABAergic neurons from the ventricular zone in the superior colliculus of the mouse. Neurosci Res 51: 243–251. , , .
- 2001. GABA signalling during development: new data and old questions. Cell Tissue Res 305: 239–246. , , , .
- 2002. Sequential induction of embryonic and adult forms of glutamic acid decarboxylase during in vitro-induced neurogenesis in cloned neuroectodermal cell-line, NE-7C2. J Neurochem 80: 605–615. , , , .
- 2004. Characteristic expression of gamma-aminobutyric acid and glutamate decarboxylase in rat jejunum and its relation to differentiation of epithelial cells. World J Gastroenterol 10: 3608–3611. , , , .
- 2006. Expression of gamma-aminobutyric acid and glutamic acid decarboxylases in rat descending colon and their relation to epithelial differentiation. Chin J Dig Dis 7: 103–108. , , , , , .
- 2002. GABA and GABA receptors in the central nervous system and other organs. Int Rev Cytol 213: 1–47. , , , , .
- 2006. Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) and cell proliferation: focus on cancer cells. Histol Histopathol 21: 1135–1141. , , , , , .
- 1999. Prox1 function is crucial for mouse lens-fibre elongation. Nat Genet 21: 318–322. , , , .
- 2005. Role of the executioner caspases during lens development. J Biol Chem 280: 30263–30272. , , , , .
- 2004. Regulation of cell adhesion and migration in lens development. Int J Dev Biol 48: 857–865. .
- 2000. Distal-less-related homeobox genes of vertebrates: evolution, function, and regulation. Biochem Cell Biol 78: 593–601. , .
- 2000. A highly conserved enhancer in the Dlx5/Dlx6 intergenic region is the site of cross-regulatory interactions between Dlx genes in the embryonic forebrain. J Neurosci 20: 709–721. , , , , , , , , , .