FGFR2IIIb signaling regulates thymic epithelial differentiation
Version of Record online: 29 OCT 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Stem Cells
Volume 236, Issue 12, pages 3459–3471, December 2007
How to Cite
Dooley, J., Erickson, M., Larochelle, W. J., Gillard, G. O. and Farr, A. G. (2007), FGFR2IIIb signaling regulates thymic epithelial differentiation. Dev. Dyn., 236: 3459–3471. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21364
- Issue online: 14 NOV 2007
- Version of Record online: 29 OCT 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 SEP 2007
- NIH/NIAID. Grant Numbers: AI09575, AI024137
- 1991. Delayed thymocyte development induced by augmented expression of p56lck. J Exp Med 173: 1421–1432. , , , , .
- 1992. Functional dissection of the lck proximal promoter. Mol Cell Biol 12: 2758–2768. , , .
- 2006. Keratinocyte growth factor (KGF) is required for postnatal thymic regeneration. Blood 107: 2453–2460. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Thymic vasculature: organizer of the medullary epithelial compartment? Int Immunol 12: 1105–1110. , , .
- 1981. F4/80, a monoclonal antibody directed specifically against the mouse macrophage. Eur J Immunol 11: 805–815. , .
- 2002. Wnt glycoproteins regulate the expression of FoxN1, the gene defective in nude mice. Nat Immunol 3: 1102–1108. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Identification and characterization of thymic epithelial progenitor cells. Immunity 16: 803–814. , , , , , .
- 2001. Fgf10 is essential for maintaining the proliferative capacity of epithelial progenitor cells during early pancreatic organogenesis. Development 128: 5109–5117. , , , , , , .
- 2005. BMP signaling is required for normal thymus development. J Immunol 175: 5213–5221. , .
- 2006. Formation of a functional thymus initiated by a postnatal epithelial progenitor cell. Nature 441: 992–996. , , , , , .
- 2003. Thymic medullary epithelial cell differentiation, thymocyte emigration, and the control of autoimmunity require lympho-epithelial cross talk via LTbetaR. J Exp Med 198: 757–769. , , , .
- 1995. Expression of relB is required for the development of thymic medulla and dendritic cells. Nature 373: 531–536. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. DeltaNp63 regulates thymic development through enhanced expression of FgfR2 and Jag2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104: 11999–12004. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Secretory product expression during Clara cell differentiation in the rabbit and rat. Am J Physiol 264: L543–L552. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Soluble dominant-negative receptor uncovers essential roles for fibroblast growth factors in multi-organ induction and patterning. EMBO J 17: 1642–1655. , , , , .
- 1994. High-affinity binding sites for related fibroblast growth factor ligands reside within different receptor immunoglobulin-like domains. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 989–993. , , , , .
- 2000. An important role for the IIIb isoform of fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 (FGFR2) in mesenchymal-epithelial signalling during mouse organogenesis. Development 127: 483–492. , , , , , .
- 2005a. An organized medullary epithelial structure in the normal thymus expresses molecules of respiratory epithelium and resembles the epithelial thymic rudiment of nude mice. J Immunol 175: 4331–4337. , , .
- 2005b. Nude thymic rudiment lacking functional foxn1 resembles respiratory epithelium. Dev Dyn 233: 1605–1612. , , , .
- 2002. Role for FGFR2IIIb-mediated signals in controlling pancreatic endocrine progenitor cell proliferation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 3884–3889. , , , .
- 2002. Regulation of thymic epithelium by keratinocyte growth factor. Blood 100: 3269–3278. , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Epithelial heterogeneity in the murine thymus: a cell surface glycoprotein expressed by subcapsular and medullary epithelium. J Histochem Cytochem 39: 645–653. , , , .
- 1985. Epithelial heterogeneity in the murine thymus: fucose-specific lectins bind medullary epithelial cells. J Immunol 134: 2971–2977. , .
- 1998. Keratinocyte growth factor protects mice from chemotherapy and radiation-induced gastrointestinal injury and mortality. Cancer Res 58: 933–939. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Generation of a complete thymic microenvironment by MTS24(+) thymic epithelial cells. Nat Immunol 3: 635–642. , , , .
- 2006. Features of medullary thymic epithelium implicate postnatal development in maintaining epithelial heterogeneity and tissue-restricted antigen expression. J Immunol 176: 5815–5824. , .
- 2007. Aire-dependent alterations in medullary thymic epithelium indicate a role for Aire in thymic epithelial differentiation. J Immunol 178: 3007–3015. , , , , .
- 2006. Developmental kinetics, turnover, and stimulatory capacity of thymic epithelial cells. Blood 108: 3777–3785. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. A unique thymic fibroblast population revealed by the monoclonal antibody MTS-15. J Immunol 178: 4956–4965. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Targeting expression of keratinocyte growth factor to keratinocytes elicits striking changes in epithelial differentiation in transgenic mice. EMBO J 12: 973–986. , , .
- 1996. Keratinocyte growth factor is required for hair development but not for wound healing. Genes Dev 10: 165–175. , , .
- 2003. Fgf10 maintains notch activation, stimulates proliferation, and blocks differentiation of pancreatic epithelial cells. Dev Dyn 228: 185–193. , , .
- 2002. Thymopoiesis requires Pax9 function in thymic epithelial cells. Eur J Immunol 32: 1175–1181. , , , , , .
- 1995. Developmental control point in induction of thymic cortex regulated by a subpopulation of prothymocytes. Nature 373: 350–353. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Differential requirement for mesenchyme in the proliferation and maturation of thymic epithelial progenitors. J Exp Med 198: 325–332. , , .
- 1997. Enhancement of murine intestinal stem cell survival after irradiation by keratinocyte growth factor. Radiat Res 148: 248–253. , , , .
- 1998. Interdependence of cortical thymic epithelial cell differentiation and T-lineage commitment. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 11822–11827. , , , , , .
- 2002. Cutting edge: thymocyte-independent and thymocyte-dependent phases of epithelial patterning in the fetal thymus. J Immunol 169: 2842–2845. , , , .
- 1986. Langerhans' cells, veiled cells, and interdigitating cells in the mouse recognized by a monoclonal antibody. J Exp Med 163: 981–997. , , , .
- 2007. Cathespin H is an FGF10 target involved in BMP4 degradation during lung branching morphogenesis. J Biol Chem 282: 22176–22184. , , , .
- 1998. Hox group 3 paralogs regulate the development and migration of the thymus, thyroid, and parathyroid glands. Dev Biol 195: 1–15. , .
- 1990. The distinct leukocyte integrins of mouse spleen dendritic cells as identified with new hamster monoclonal antibodies. J Exp Med 171: 1753–1771. , , , , , .
- 2002. Protection from thymic epithelial cell injury by keratinocyte growth factor: a new approach to improve thymic and peripheral T-cell reconstitution after bone marrow transplantation. Blood 99: 4592–4600. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Sustained thymopoiesis and improvement in functional immunity induced by exogenous KGF administration in murine models of aging. Blood 109: 2529–2537. , , , , , .
- 1996. Two genetically separable steps in the differentiation of thymic epithelium. Science 272: 886–889. , , , , , , .
- 1998. In vitro positive selection and anergy induction of class II-restricted TCR transgenic thymocytes by a cortical thymic epithelial cell line. Int Immunol 10: 1335–1346. , , .
- 2003. FGF10 signaling maintains the pancreatic progenitor cell state revealing a novel role of Notch in organ development. Dev Biol 264: 323–338. , , .
- 1998. Keratinocyte growth factor administered before conditioning ameliorates graft-versus-host disease after allogeneic bone marrow transplantation in mice. Blood 92: 3960–3967. , , , .
- 2001. The effects of repeated doses of keratinocyte growth factor on cell proliferation in the cellular hierarchy of the crypts of the murine small intestine. Cell Growth Differ 12: 265–275. , , , , .
- 2000. Fibroblast growth factors, their receptors and signaling. Endocr Relat Cancer 7: 165–197. , , .
- 1972. Evidence for a blood-thymus barrier using electron-opaque tracers. J Exp Med 136: 466–498. , .
- 2001. Development of the thymus requires signaling through the fibroblast growth factor receptor R2-IIIb. J Immunol 167: 1954–1961. , , , , .
- 2001. Thymus medulla consisting of epithelial islets each derived from a single progenitor. Nature 414: 763–768. , , , , .
- 1995. A common stem cell for murine cortical and medullary thymic epithelial cells? Dev Immunol 4: 149–156. , , , .
- 2006. Clonal analysis reveals a common progenitor for thymic cortical and medullary epithelium. Nature 441: 988–991. , , , .
- 2007a. Redefining epithelial progenitor potential in the developing thymus. Eur J Immunol 37: 2411–2418. , , , , , , , .
- 2007b. Keratinocyte growth factor (KGF) enhances postnatal T-cell development via enhancements in proliferation and function of thymic epithelial cells. Blood 109: 3803–3811. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007c. RANK signals from CD4+3- inducer cells regulate development of Aire-expressing epithelial cells in the thymic medulla. J Exp Med 204: 1267–1272. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Monoclonal antibodies reactive with subsets of mouse and human thymic epithelial cells. J Histochem Cytochem 36: 1511–1517. , , , .
- 2002. Requirement of fibroblast growth factor 10 in development of white adipose tissue. Genes Dev 16: 908–912. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. p63 Is essential for the proliferative potential of stem cells in stratified epithelia. Cell 129: 523–536. , , , .
- 2001. Progression of T cell lineage restriction in the earliest subpopulation of murine adult thymus visualized by the expression of lck proximal promoter activity. Int Immunol 13: 105–117. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1986. N-linked oligosaccharides are not involved in the function of a cell-cell binding glycoprotein E-cadherin. Cell Struct Funct 11: 245–252. , , , .
- 2004. FGF22 and its close relatives are presynaptic organizing molecules in the mammalian brain. Cell 118: 257–270. , , , .
- 1984. Monoclonal antibodies to stromal cell types of the mouse thymus. Eur J Immunol 14: 524–529. , , .
- 1996. Pax1 is expressed during development of the thymus epithelium and is required for normal T-cell maturation. Development 122: 23–30. , , , , , .
- 2000. Bmp4 and Fgf10 play opposing roles during lung bud morphogenesis. Development 127: 2695–2704. , , .
- 2006. The quantitative assessment of MHC II on thymic epithelium: implications in cortical thymocyte development. Int Immunol 18: 729–739. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Patterning of the third pharyngeal pouch into thymus/parathyroid by Six and Eya1. Dev Biol 293: 499–512. , , , , , .