Regulation and function of Dbx genes in the zebrafish spinal cord
Article first published online: 9 NOV 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Stem Cells
Volume 236, Issue 12, pages 3472–3483, December 2007
How to Cite
Gribble, S. L., Nikolaus, O. B. and Dorsky, R. I. (2007), Regulation and function of Dbx genes in the zebrafish spinal cord. Dev. Dyn., 236: 3472–3483. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21367
- Issue published online: 14 NOV 2007
- Article first published online: 9 NOV 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 SEP 2007
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: RO1NS053897, T32 GM07464
- 1995. Expression of zebrafish nk2.2 is influenced by sonic hedgehog/vertebrate hedgehog-1 and demarcates a zone of neuronal differentiation in the embryonic forebrain. Development 121: 1755–1768. , .
- 2004. Beyond the neckless phenotype: influence of reduced retinoic acid signaling on motor neuron development in the zebrafish hindbrain. Dev Biol 271: 119–129. , , , , .
- 1999. Differential distribution of retinoic acid synthesis in the chicken embryo as determined by immunolocalization of the retinoic acid synthetic enzyme, RALDH-2. Dev Biol 210: 288–304. , , , .
- 2001. A hedgehog-insensitive form of patched provides evidence for direct long-range morphogen activity of sonic hedgehog in the neural tube. Mol Cell 7: 1279–1291. , , , .
- 1997. PAX2 is expressed in multiple spinal cord interneurons, including a population of EN1+ interneurons that require PAX6 for their development. Development 124: 4493–4503. , , , .
- 2004. Zebrafish and fly Nkx6 proteins have similar CNS expression patterns and regulate motoneuron formation. Development 131: 5221–5232. , , , , .
- 2004. Coordinate regulation of neural tube patterning and proliferation by TGFbeta and WNT activity. Dev Biol 274: 334–347. , , , .
- 1996. Spatial regulation of a zebrafish patched homologue reflects the roles of sonic hedgehog and protein kinase A in neural tube and somite patterning. Development 122: 2835–2846. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Teratogen-mediated inhibition of target tissue response to Shh signaling. Science 280: 1603–1607. , , , .
- 1994. Expression of the zebrafish gene hlx-1 in the prechordal plate and during CNS development. Development 120: 71–81. , , , .
- 2005. A subset of oligodendrocytes generated from radial glia in the dorsal spinal cord. Development 132: 1951–1959. , , .
- 2000. The homeodomain-containing gene Xdbx inhibits neuronal differentiation in the developing embryo. Development 127: 2945–2954. , , , .
- 1998. Hedgehog and patched in neural development and disease. Neuron 21: 1243–1257. , .
- 2002. Retinoic acid signalling in the zebrafish embryo is necessary during pre-segmentation stages to pattern the anterior-posterior axis of the CNS and to induce a pectoral fin bud. Development 129: 2851–2865. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Cloning of zebrafish nkx6.2 and a comprehensive analysis of the conserved transcriptional response to Hedgehog/Gli signaling in the zebrafish neural tube. Gene Expr Patterns 7: 596–605. , .
- 2006. Retinoic acid activates myogenesis in vivo through Fgf8 signalling. Dev Biol 289: 127–140. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Visualization of cranial motor neurons in live transgenic zebrafish expressing green fluorescent protein under the control of the islet-1 promoter/enhancer. J Neurosci 20: 206–218. , , .
- 2004. Engrailed-1 expression marks a primitive class of inhibitory spinal interneuron. J Neurosci 24: 5827–5839. , , , .
- 2002. Role of hlx1 in zebrafish brain morphogenesis. Int J Dev Biol 46: 583–596. , , .
- 2007. Wnt/BMP signal integration regulates the balance between proliferation and differentiation of neuroepithelial cells in the dorsal spinal cord. Dev Biol 304:394–408. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Gli proteins and the control of spinal-cord patterning. EMBO Rep 4: 761–765. , .
- 2001. Double in situ hybridization techniques in zebrafish. Methods 23: 345–358. .
- 1995. Stages of embryonic development of the zebrafish. Dev Dyn 203: 253–310. , , , , .
- 2006. Retinoic acid is required for endodermal pouch morphogenesis and not for pharyngeal endoderm specification. Dev Dyn 235: 2695–2709. , , , , .
- 1991. Expression of the zebrafish paired box gene pax[zf-b] during early neurogenesis. Development 113: 1193–1206. , , , .
- 2005. Regulation of iro3 expression in the zebrafish spinal cord. Dev Dyn 232: 140–148. , , .
- 1992. Expression pattern of a murine homeobox gene, Dbx, displays extreme spatial restriction in embryonic forebrain and spinal cord. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89: 8053–8057. , , , .
- 2006. Retinoids and spinal cord development. J Neurobiol 66: 726–738. .
- 1998. Pax3 and Pax7 are expressed in commissural neurons and restrict ventral neuronal identity in the spinal cord. Mech Dev 78: 171–178. , .
- 1996. Regulation of patched by sonic hedgehog in the developing neural tube. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 9346–9351. , .
- 2005. Dynamic and sequential patterning of the zebrafish posterior hindbrain by retinoic acid. Dev Biol 285: 593–605. , .
- 2005. Requirement of mesodermal retinoic acid generated by Raldh2 for posterior neural transformation. Mech Dev 122: 145–155. , , , .
- 2003. A requirement for retinoic acid-mediated transcriptional activation in ventral neural patterning and motor neuron specification. Neuron 40: 81–95. , , , .
- 1993. Cloning of the zebrafish krox-20 gene (krx-20) and its expression during hindbrain development. Nucleic Acids Res 21: 1087–1095. , .
- 2000. Analysis of upstream elements in the HuC promoter leads to the establishment of transgenic zebrafish with fluorescent neurons. Dev Biol 227: 279–293. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. olig2 is required for zebrafish primary motor neuron and oligodendrocyte development. Dev Biol 248: 356–368. , , , .
- 2001. Retinoic acid-mediated gene expression in transgenic reporter zebrafish. Dev Biol 229: 89–101. , , .
- 1999. A sonic hedgehog-independent, retinoid-activated pathway of neurogenesis in the ventral spinal cord. Cell 97: 903–915. , , , .
- 2001. Control of interneuron fate in the developing spinal cord by the progenitor homeodomain protein Dbx1. Neuron 29: 367–384. , , , , , .
- 2002. Patterning of the vertebrate ventral spinal cord. Int J Dev Biol 46: 597–608. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The zebrafish Pax3 and Pax7 homologues are highly conserved, encode multiple isoforms and show dynamic segment-like expression in the developing brain. Mech Dev 70: 49–63. , , , , .
- 1999. Three structurally and functionally conserved Hlx genes in zebrafish. Biochim Biophys Acta 1489: 323–335. , , .
- 1998. Retinoid-X receptor signalling in the developing spinal cord. Nature 395: 398–402. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Complementary domains of retinoic acid production and degradation in the early chick embryo. Dev Biol 216: 282–296. , , , , , .
- 2000. Zebrafish evx1 is dynamically expressed during embryogenesis in subsets of interneurones, posterior gut and urogenital system. Mech Dev 99: 167–172. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. BMP signaling patterns the dorsal and intermediate neural tube via regulation of homeobox and helix-loop-helix transcription factors. Development 129: 2459–2472. , , .
- 2001. Different levels of repressor activity assign redundant and specific roles to Nkx6 genes in motor neuron and interneuron specification. Neuron 31: 743–755. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. A direct requirement for Hedgehog signaling for normal specification of all ventral progenitor domains in the presumptive mammalian spinal cord. Genes Dev 16: 2849–2864. , , , .
- 2006. Bmp and Wnt/beta-catenin signals control expression of the transcription factor Olig3 and the specification of spinal cord neurons. Dev Biol 303: 181–190. , , , , , , , , .