The developing embryonic cardiac outflow tract is highly sensitive to oxidant stress
Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Stem Cells
Volume 236, Issue 12, pages 3496–3502, December 2007
How to Cite
Fisher, S. A. (2007), The developing embryonic cardiac outflow tract is highly sensitive to oxidant stress. Dev. Dyn., 236: 3496–3502. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21373
- Issue online: 14 NOV 2007
- Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 OCT 2007
- NIH. Grant Number: R01 HL65314
- 2001. Cellular titration of apoptosis with steady state concentrations of H(2)O(2): submicromolar levels of H(2)O(2) induce apoptosis through Fenton chemistry independent of the cellular thiol state. Free Radic Biol Med 30: 1008–1018. , .
- 2001. Apoptosis induced by exposure to a low steady-state concentration of H2O2 is a consequence of lysosomal rupture. Biochem J 356: 549–555. , , .
- 2005. Expression pattern of cytosolic glutathione peroxidase (cGPx) mRNA during mouse embryogenesis. Anat Embryol (Berl) 209: 315–321. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Trichloroethylene inhibits development of embryonic heart valve precursors in vitro. Toxicol Sci 53: 109–117. , , .
- 2005. Oxidation of a Eukaryotic 2-Cys Peroxiredoxin Is a Molecular Switch Controlling the Transcriptional Response to Increasing Levels of Hydrogen Peroxide. Journal of Biological Chemistry 280: 23319–23327. , , , , , .
- 2007. Evolution of cardiovascular systems. In: AirdWC, editor. Endothelium. New York: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 1979. Hydroperoxide metabolism in mammalian organs. Physiol Rev 59: 527–605. , , .
- 2000. Triggering and modulation of apoptosis by oxidative stress. Free Radic Biol Med 29: 323–333. , , .
- 1990a. Generation of radical oxygen species by neural crest cells treated in vitro with isotretinoin and 4-oxo-isotretinoin. J Craniofac Genet Dev Biol 10: 295–310. , , , , , .
- 1990b. Ethanol induces the generation of reactive free radicals by neural crest cells in vitro. J Craniofac Genet Dev Biol 10: 277–293. , , , , , .
- 1994. Expression of copper/zinc superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase in organs of developing mouse embryos, fetuses, and neonates. Pediatr Res 35: 188–196. , , , .
- 2000. Antioxidant regulation of genes encoding enzymes that detoxify xenobiotics and carcinogens. Curr Top Cell Regul 36: 201–216. , , .
- 1995. Molecular regulation of atrioventricular valvuloseptal morphogenesis. Circ Res 77: 1–6. , .
- 1996. Reactive oxygen species in developmental toxicity: review and hypothesis. Teratology 53: 196–217. .
- 2002. Involvement of mitochondria and other free radical sources in normal and abnormal fetal development. Ann NY Acad Sci 959: 424–433. , .
- 1992. Ischemia/reperfusion: a new hypothesis for the developmental toxicity of cocaine. Teratology 46: 285–292. , , .
- 1995. Studies of mitochondria in oxidative embryotoxicity. Teratology 52: 190–195. , , , , .
- 2003. Oxidant signals and oxidative stress. Curr Opin Cell Biol 15: 247–254. .
- 2007. Role of hypoxia in the evolution and development of the cardiovascular system. Antioxid Redox Signal 9: 1339–1352. , .
- 1996. Expression of exogenous protein and analysis of morphogenesis in the developing chicken heart using adenoviral vector. Cardiovasc Res 31: E86–E95. , .
- 2004. Redox signaling: thiol chemistry defines which reactive oxygen and nitrogen species can act as second messengers. AJP Cell Physiol 287: C246–C256. , , .
- 1999. Fundamental aspects of reactive oxygen species, or what's the matter with oxygen? Ann NY Acad Sci 893: 13–18. .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 2003. Methanol metabolism and embryotoxicity in rat and mouse conceptuses: comparisons of alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH1), formaldehyde dehydrogenase (ADH3), and catalase. Reprod Toxicol 17: 349–357. , , , .
- 2007. Noninherited risk factors and congenital cardiovascular defects: current knowledge. A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young: Endorsed by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Circulation 115: 2995–3014. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Ontogenesis of anti-oxidative enzymes in mouse embryos and fetuses: an immunohistochemical study. Ital J Anat Embryol 106: 137–142. , , , .
- 2000. Selective activation of p38 MAPK cascade and mitotic arrest caused by low level oxidative stress. J Biol Chem 275: 23413–23416. .
- 2003. H(2)O(2) regulates cardiac myocyte phenotype via concentration-dependent activation of distinct kinase pathways. J Mol Cell Cardiol 35: 615–621. , , , , .
- 2003. Deficiency of the Nrf1 and Nrf2 transcription factors results in early embryonic lethality and severe oxidative stress. J Biol Chem 278: 48021–48029. , , , , .
- 2002. Reactive species mechanisms of cellular hypoxia-reoxygenation injury. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 282: C227–C241. , .
- 2002. Cellular response to oxidative stress: signaling for suicide and survival. J Cell Physiol 192: 1–15. , .
- 1981. Maternal hyperoxia greatly reduces the incidence of phenytoin-induced cleft lip and palate in A/J mice. Science 212: 671–672. , .
- 1995. A teratologic suppressor role for p53 in benzo[a]pyrene-treated transgenic p53-deficient mice. Nat Genet 10: 181–187. , , , , .
- 2003. The absence of mitochondrial thioredoxin 2 causes massive apoptosis, exencephaly, and early embryonic lethality in homozygous mice. Mol Cell Biol 23: 916–922. , , , .
- 2002. Nuclear activators and coactivators in mammalian mitochondrial biogenesis. Biochim Biophys Acta 1576: 1–14. .
- 2006. Expression and regulation of antioxidant enzymes in the developing limb support a function of ROS in interdigital cell death. Dev Biol 291: 291–299. , , , , , , .
- 2004a. Hypoxia-responsive signaling regulates the apoptosis-dependent remodeling of the embryonic avian cardiac outflow tract. Dev Biol 273: 285–296. , , , , .
- 2004b. Role of myocardial hypoxia in the remodeling of the embryonic avian cardiac outflow tract. Dev Biol 267: 294–308. , , .
- 2004c. The development of the embryonic outflow tract provides novel insights into cardiac differentiation and remodeling. Trends Cardiovasc Med 14: 235–241. , , .
- 1999. Tissue-specific changes in the activities of antioxidant enzymes during the development of the chicken embryo. Br Poult Sci 40: 397–405. .
- 2003. Mitochondrial formation of reactive oxygen species. J Physiol 552: 335–344. .
- 2001. Salicylate and cocaine: interactive toxicity during chicken mid-embryogenesis. Free Radic Biol Med 30: 198–207. , .
- 2001. Apoptosis is required for the proper formation of the ventriculo-arterial connections. Dev Biol 240: 274–288. , , .
- 1995. Phenytoin-initiated DNA oxidation in murine embryo culture, and embryo protection by the antioxidative enzymes superoxide dismutase and catalase: evidence for reactive oxygen species-mediated DNA oxidation in the molecular mechanism of phenytoin teratogenicity. Mol Pharmacol 48: 112–120. , .
- 2003. The selenoprotein GPX4 is essential for mouse development and protects from radiation and oxidative damage insults. Free Radic Biol Med 34: 496–502. , , , , , , , , .