A simple slice culture system for the imaging of nerve development in embryonic mouse
Article first published online: 14 NOV 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Stem Cells
Volume 236, Issue 12, pages 3514–3523, December 2007
How to Cite
Brachmann, I., Jakubick, V. C., Shakèd, M., Unsicker, K. and Tucker, K. L. (2007), A simple slice culture system for the imaging of nerve development in embryonic mouse. Dev. Dyn., 236: 3514–3523. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21386
- Issue published online: 14 NOV 2007
- Article first published online: 14 NOV 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 OCT 2007
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. Grant Number: SFB 488, Teilprojekt B7
- 1994. The subplate, a transient neocortical structure: its role in the development of connections between thalamus and cortex. Annu Rev Neurosci 17: 185–218. , .
- 1996. Semaphorin III is needed for normal patterning and growth of nerves, bones and heart. Nature 383: 525–528. , , , , .
- 1993. Reconstructing cortical connections in a dish. Trends Neurosci 16: 310–316. , , , .
- 2000. Axon routing at the optic chiasm after enzymatic removal of chondroitin sulfate in mouse embryos. Development 127: 2673–2683. , , , .
- 1989. Intrinsic differences in the growth rate of early nerve fibres related to target distance. Nature 337: 553–555. .
- 2006. Birth and death of cells in limb development: a mapping study. Dev Dyn 235: 2521–2537. , , .
- 1999. Analysis of mice carrying targeted mutations of the glucocorticoid receptor gene argues against an essential role of glucocorticoid signalling for generating adrenal chromaffin cells. Development 126: 2935–2944. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Organotypic slice cultures: a technique has come of age. Trends Neurosci 20: 471–477. , , , , .
- 2000. Neuregulin, a factor with many functions in the life of a Schwann cell. Bioessays 22: 987–996. , , .
- 2006. Green-fluorescent-protein-expressing mice as models for the study of axonal growth and regeneration in vitro. Brain Res Rev 52: 160–169. , , .
- 1995. Chick wing innervation. II. Morphology of motor and sensory axons and their growth cones during early development. J Comp Neurol 357: 254–271. , .
- 1995. The influence of target and non-target brain regions on the development of mid-brain dopaminergic neurons in organotypic slice culture. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 88: 212–219. , , .
- 1998. The spatial relationships among cutaneous, muscle sensory and motoneuron axons during development of the chick hindlimb. Development 125: 995–1004. , , .
- 1996. Cellular interactions that guide sensory and motor neurites identified in an embryo slice preparation. Dev Biol 176: 22–35. , .
- 1996. Embryo slices. Methods Cell Biol 51: 109–124. , , .
- 2005. Distinct roles for secreted semaphorin signaling in spinal motor axon guidance. Neuron 48: 949–964. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Neuropilin-semaphorin III/D-mediated chemorepulsive signals play a crucial role in peripheral nerve projection in mice. Neuron 19: 995–1005. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. AFGF promotes axonal growth in rat spinal cord organotypic slice co-cultures. J Neurotrauma 19: 357–367. , , , , .
- 2003. Perturbation of CD44 function affects chiasmatic routing of retinal axons in brain slice preparations of the mouse retinofugal pathway. Eur J Neurosci 17: 2299–2312. , .
- 1990. Tissue patterning in the developing mouse limb. Int J Dev Biol 34: 323–336. .
- 1979. An electron microscopic study of periderm cell development in mouse limb buds. Anat Embryol (Berl) 157: 121–132. , .
- 1993. Formation of specific efferent connections in organotypic slice cultures from rat visual cortex cocultured with lateral geniculate nucleus and superior colliculus. Eur J Neurosci 5: 15–24. , .
- 2003. Semaphorin junction: making tracks toward neural connectivity. Curr Opin Neurobiol 13: 79–89. , .
- 1989. Expression of two myogenic regulatory factors myogenin and MyoD1 during mouse embryogenesis. Nature 341: 303–307. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Plexin-a4 mediates axon-repulsive activities of both secreted and transmembrane semaphorins and plays roles in nerve fiber guidance. J Neurosci 25: 3628–3637. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Disruption of semaphorin III/D gene causes severe abnormality in peripheral nerve projection. Neuron 19: 519–530. , , , , , , .
- 1985. Development of the major pathways for neurite outgrowth in the chick hindlimb. Dev Biol 109: 193–214. , .
- 2001. Neurotrophins are required for nerve growth during development. Nat Neurosci 4: 29–37. , , .
- 2005. Activity dependence of cortical axon branch formation: a morphological and electrophysiological study using organotypic slice cultures. J Neurosci 25: 1–9. , , , , .
- 2000. The “waiting period” of sensory and motor axons in early chick hindlimb: its role in axon pathfinding and neuronal maturation. J Neurosci 20: 5358–5366. , .
- 2000. The development and subsequent elimination of aberrant peripheral axon projections in Semaphorin3A null mutant mice. Dev Biol 225: 79–86. , .
- 1995. The guidance molecule semaphorin III is expressed in regions of spinal cord and periphery avoided by growing sensory axons. J Comp Neurol 361: 321–333. , , , , .
- 1999. Ultrastructural observations on the expression of axonin-1: implications for the fasciculation of sensory axons during axonal outgrowth into the chick hindlimb. J Comp Neurol 408: 299–317. , .
- 2005. Differential requirement for Plexin-A3 and -A4 in mediating responses of sensory and sympathetic neurons to distinct class 3 Semaphorins. Neuron 45: 513–523. , , , .
- 2007. Activation of the Wnt-beta catenin pathway in a cell population on the surface of the forebrain is essential for the establishment of olfactory axon connections. J Neurosci 27: 9757–9768. , , , , , , , , .