Reviews–A Peer Reviewed Forum
Functional evolutionary history of the mouse Fgf gene family
Version of Record online: 3 DEC 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 237, Issue 1, pages 18–27, January 2008
How to Cite
Itoh, N. and Ornitz, D. M. (2008), Functional evolutionary history of the mouse Fgf gene family. Dev. Dyn., 237: 18–27. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21388
- Issue online: 19 DEC 2007
- Version of Record online: 3 DEC 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 OCT 2007
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan. Grant Numbers: 18659021, 19390021
- Takeda Science Foundation, Japan
- Mitsubishi Foundation, Japan
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: HL07666401, HD049808
- March of Dimes Foundation
- 1991. Keratinocyte growth factor. A fibroblast growth factor family member with unusual target cell specificity. Ann NY Acad Sci 63: 62–77. , , , , , , , , .
- ADHR Consortium 2000. Autosomal dominant hypophosphataemic rickets is associated with mutations in FGF23. Nat Genet 26: 345–348.
- 2007. Hepatic Fibroblast Growth Factor 21 Is Regulated by PPARalpha and Is a Key Mediator of Hepatic Lipid Metabolism in Ketotic States. Cell Metab 5: 426–437. , , , , , .
- 2000. Uncoupling of cell proliferation and differentiation activities of basic fibroblast growth factor. FASEB J 14: 333–344. , , , , .
- 1996. Fibroblast growth factor-2 binds to the regulatory beta subunit of CK2 and directly stimulates CK2 activity toward nucleolin. J Biol Chem 271: 24781–24787. , , , , , , .
- 2004. The roles of Fgf4 and Fgf8 in limb bud initiation and outgrowth. Dev Biol 273: 361–372. , , , .
- 2003. The isthmic organizer signal FGF8 is required for cell survival in the prospective midbrain and cerebellum. Development 130: 2633–2644. , , , .
- 2001a. Male-to-female sex reversal in mice lacking fibroblast growth factor 9. Cell 104: 875–889. , , , , .
- 2001b. Lung hypoplasia and neonatal death in Fgf9-null mice identify this gene as an essential regulator of lung mesenchyme. Development 128: 2095–2106. , , , .
- 1991. The FGF6 gene within the FGF multigene family. Ann NY Acad Sci 638: 53–61. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. In search of lost introns. Bioinformatics 23: i87–i96. , , .
- 2005. Mutation analysis in the fibroblast growth factor 14 gene: frameshift mutation and polymorphisms in patients with inherited ataxias. Eur J Hum Genet 13: 118–120. , , , , , .
- 2007. Conserved intron positions in ancient protein modules. Biol Direct 2: 7. .
- 1991. Expression, processing, and properties of int-2. Ann NY Acad Sci 638: 18–26. , , , , , .
- 2005. Mutations in the gene encoding fibroblast growth factor 10 are associated with aplasia of lacrimal and salivary glands. Nat Genet 37: 125–127. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. FGF10 missense mutations in aplasia of lacrimal and salivary glands (ALSG). Eur J Hum Genet 15: 379–382. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Cellular signaling by fibroblast growth factor receptors. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 16: 139–149. , , .
- 1995. Requirement of FGF-4 for postimplantation mouse development. Science 267: 246–249. , , , , .
- 1990. Heparin and heparan sulfate increase the radius of diffusion and action of basic fibroblast growth factor. J Cell Biol 111: 1651–1659. , , .
- 2007. FGF23 is a hormone-regulating phosphate metabolism: unique biological characteristics of FGF23. Bone 40: 1190-1195. , .
- 1999. Fibroblast growth factor homologous factor 2 (FHF2): gene structure, expression and mapping to the Borjeson-Forssman-Lehmann syndrome region in Xq26 delineated by a duplication breakpoint in a BFLS-like patient. Hum Genet 104: 56–63. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Structure and sequence of human FGF8. Genomics 35: 253–257. , , , .
- 2005. Fibroblast growth factor homologous factors: evolution, structure, and function. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 16: 215–20. .
- 1991. Expression and possible functions of the FGF-5 gene. Ann NY Acad Sci 638: 38–52. , , , , .
- 2007. Fibroblast growth factor homologous factors control neuronal excitability through modulation of voltage-gated sodium channels. Neuron 55: 449–463. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1974. Localization of a fibroblast growth factor and its effect alone and with hydrocortisone on 3T3 cell growth. Nature 249: 123–127. .
- 1974. Effect of a fibroblast growth factor, insulin, dexamethasone, and serum on the morphology of BALB/c 3T3 cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 71: 4648–4652. , .
- 1975. Presence in brain of a mitogenic agent promoting proliferation of myoblasts in low density culture. Nature 256: 216–219. , , .
- 1994. FGF5 as a regulator of the hair growth cycle: evidence from targeted and spontaneous mutations. Cell 78: 1017–1025. , , , .
- 2003. Phylogenetic analyses alone are insufficient to determine whether genome duplication(s) occurred during early vertebrate evolution. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol 299: 41–53. , , , .
- 1998. Structure and expression of a novel fibroblast growth factor, FGF-17, preferentially expressed in the embryonic brain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 244: 187–191. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Fibroblast growth factor 15 functions as an enterohepatic signal to regulate bile acid homeostasis. Cell Metab 2: 217–225. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Endocrine regulation of the fasting response by PPARalpha-mediated induction of fibroblast growth factor 21. Cell Metab 5: 415–425. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Evolution of the Fgf and Fgfr gene families. Trends Genet 20: 563–569. , .
- 1993. Structural and functional diversity in the FGF receptor multigene family. Adv Cancer Res 60: 1–41. , .
- 2005. FGF-21 as a novel metabolic regulator. J Clin Invest 115: 1627–1635. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. The metabolic state of diabetic monkeys is regulated by fibroblast growth factor-21. Endocrinology 148: 774–7781. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. The Fgf14(F145S) mutation disrupts the interaction of FGF14 with voltage-gated Na+ channels and impairs neuronal excitability. J Neurosci 27: 12033–12044. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Fgf8 signalling from the AER is essential for normal limb development. Nat Genet 26: 460–463. , , .
- 2007. How fibroblast growth factor 23 works. J Am Soc Nephrol 18: 1637–1647. , .
- 2002. Coordination of chondrogenesis and osteogenesis by fibroblast growth factor 18. Genes Dev 16: 859–869. , , , .
- 2006. Rudling M., Circulating intestinal fibroblast growth factor 19 has a pronounced diurnal variation and modulates hepatic bile acid synthesis in man. J Intern Med 260: 530–536. , , .
- 1995. FGF-8 isoforms activate receptor splice forms that are expressed in mesenchymal regions of mouse development. Development 121: 3603–3613. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Pancreas phylogeny and ontogeny in relation to a “pancreatic stem cell.” C R Biol 330: 534–537. .
- 2002. Fgf3 and Fgf8 are required together for formation of the otic placode and vesicle. Development 129: 2099–2108. , , , , , .
- 1997. A novel fibroblast growth factor gene expressed in the developing nervous system is a downstream target of the chimeric homeodomain oncoprotein E2A-Pbx1. Development 124: 3221–3232. , , , , .
- 1992. Basic fibroblast growth factor, a protein devoid of secretory signal sequence, is released by cells via a pathway independent of the endoplasmic reticulum-Golgi complex. J Cell Physiol 151: 81–93. , , .
- 2000. Compensation by fibroblast growth factor 1 (FGF1) does not account for the mild phenotypic defects observed in FGF2 null mice. Mol Cell Biol 20: 2260–2268. , , , , .
- 2006. LADD syndrome is caused by FGF10 mutations. Clin Genet 69: 349–354. , , , , .
- 1998. Fgf-10 is required for both limb and lung development and exhibits striking functional similarity to Drosophila branchless. Genes Dev 12: 3156–3161. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. A hydrophobic region locating at the center of fibroblast growth factor-9 is crucial for its secretion. J Biol Chem 274: 29352–29357. , , , , , .
- 1998. Structure and expression of a novel member, FGF-16, on the fibroblast growth factor family. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 243: 148–152. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Molecular cloning of a novel cytokine cDNA encoding the ninth member of the fibroblast growth factor family, which has a unique secretion property. Mol Cell Biol 13: 4251v4259. , , , , , .
- 2005. A protein canyon in the FGF-FGF receptor dimer selects from an a la carte menu of heparan sulfate motifs. Curr Opin Struct Biol 15: 506–516. , , .
- 2000. Fgf8 is required for outgrowth and patterning of the limbs. Nat Genet 26: 455–459. , .
- 2000. Normal limb development in conditional mutants of Fgf4. Development 127: 989–996. , , .
- 2001. Identification of a novel fibroblast growth factor, FGF-22, preferentially expressed in the inner root sheath of the hair follicle. Biochim Biophys Acta 1517: 460–463. , , , , .
- 2007. Fibroblast growth factor 13 is essential for neural differentiation in Xenopus early embryonic development. J Biol Chem 283: 24255–24261. , .
- 1999. Structure and expression of a novel human FGF, FGF-19, expressed in the fetal brain. Biochim Biophys Acta 1444: 148–151. , , , , .
- 2000. Identification of a novel FGF, FGF-21, preferentially expressed in the liver. Biochim Biophys Acta 1492: 203–206. , , , .
- 2007. BetaKlotho is required for metabolic activity of fibroblast growth factor 21. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104: 7432–7437. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Structure and expression of the mRNA encoding a novel fibroblast growth factor, FGF-18. J Biol Chem 273: 18161–18164. , , , , , .
- 2002. FGF18 is required for normal cell proliferation and differentiation during osteogenesis and chondrogenesis. Genes Dev 16: 870–879. , , , , , , .
- 2000. FGF-20, a novel neurotrophic factor, preferentially expressed in the substantia nigra pars compacta of rat brain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 277: 355–360. , , , , , , .
- 2000. FGF10 acts as a major ligand for FGF receptor 2 IIIb in mouse multi-organ development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 277: 643–649. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Structural basis by which alternative splicing modulates the organizer activity of FGF8 in the brain. Genes Dev 20: 185–198. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. FGFs, heparan sulfate and FGFRs: complex interactions essential for development. Bioessays 22: 108–112. .
- 2001. Fibroblast growth factors. Genome Biol 2: 3005.1–3005.12. , .
- 2002. FGF signaling pathways in endochondral and intramembranous bone development and human genetic disease. Genes Dev 16: 1446–1465. , .
- 1996. Receptor specificity of the fibroblast growth factor family. J Biol Chem 271: 15292–15297. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. An evolutionary history of the FGF superfamily. Bioessays 27: 849–857. , , , .
- 2000. Fibroblast growth factor 9 secretion is mediated by a non-cleaved amino-terminal signal sequence. J Biol Chem 275: 8083–8090. , , .
- 2005. Analysis of evolution of exon-intron structure of eukaryotic genes. Brief Bioinform 6: 118–134. , , , .
- 2006. Mutations in different components of FGF signaling in LADD syndrome. Nat Genet 38: 414–417. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Requirement of fibroblast growth factor 10 in development of white adipose tissue. Genes Dev 16: 908–912. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Fibroblast growth factor 20 gene and Parkinson's disease in the Japanese population. Neuroreport 18: 937–940. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Fgf genes in the basal chordate Ciona intestinalis. Dev Genes Evol 212: 432–438. , , .
- 2006. Evidence of haematopoiesis within the developing human diencephalon. Correlations with vertebrate phylogeny. Pathobiology 73: 55–62. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Fgf10 is essential for limb and lung formation. Nat Genet 21: 138–141. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Cloning and characterization of FGF23 as a causative factor of tumor-induced osteomalacia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 6500–6505. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Targeted ablation of Fgf23 demonstrates an essential physiological role of FGF23 in phosphate and vitamin D metabolism. J Clin Invest 113: 561–568. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Fibroblast growth factor (FGF) homologous factors: new members of the FGF family implicated in nervous system development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 9850–9857. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Targeted disruption of Fgf8 causes failure of cell migration in the gastrulating mouse embryo. Genes Dev 13: 1834–1846. , , , .
- 2000. Conditional inactivation of Fgf4 reveals complexity of signalling during limb bud development. Nat Genet 25: 83–86. , , , , , .
- 2002. Functions of FGF signalling from the apical ectodermal ridge in limb development. Nature 418: 501–508. , , .
- 1992. Cloning and characterization of an androgen-induced growth factor essential for the androgen-dependent growth of mouse mammary carcinoma cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 8928–8932. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Homozygous mutations in fibroblast growth factor 3 are associated with a new form of syndromic deafness characterized by inner ear agenesis, microtia, and microdontia. Am J Hum Genet 80: 338–344. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Functions and regulations of fibroblast growth factor signaling during embryonic development. Dev Biol 287: 390–402. , .
- 2002. Transgenic mice expressing human fibroblast growth factor-19 display increased metabolic rate and decreased adiposity. Endocrinology 143: 1741–1747. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Klotho converts canonical FGF receptor into a specific receptor for FGF23. Nature 444: 770–774. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Fgf18 is required for embryonic lung alveolar development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 322: 887–892. , , , , , .
- 2004. Fibroblast growth factor 20 polymorphisms and haplotypes strongly influence risk of Parkinson disease. Am J Hum Genet 74: 1121–1127. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. A mutation in the fibroblast growth factor 14 gene is associated with autosomal dominant cerebellar ataxia. Am J Hum Genet 72: 191–199. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Fgf15 is required for proper morphogenesis of the mouse cardiac outflow tract. Genesis 41: 192–201. , , , , .
- 2002. Establishment of hindbrain segmental identity requires signaling by FGF3 and FGF8. Curr Biol 12: 1117–1123. , , , , .
- 2000. Subcellular and developmental expression of alternatively spliced forms of fibroblast growth factor 14. Mech Dev 90: 283–287. , , .
- 2002. Ataxia and paroxysmal dyskinesia in mice lacking axonally transported FGF14. Neuron 35: 25–38. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Autosomal-dominant hypophosphatemic rickets (ADHR) mutations stabilize FGF-23. Kidney Int 60: 2079–2086. , , , , , .
- 2007. Impaired hippocampal synaptic transmission and plasticity in mice lacking fibroblast growth factor 14. Mol Cell Neurosci 34: 366–377. , , , , , .
- 1999. Genomic structure, mapping, activity and expression of fibroblast growth factor 17. Mech Dev 83: 165–178. , , , .
- 1996. Structure and expression of the rat mRNA encoding a novel member of the fibroblast growth factor family. J Biol Chem 271: 15918–15921. , , , .
- 2000. Identification of a novel fibroblast growth factor, FGF-23, preferentially expressed in the ventrolateral thalamic nucleus of the brain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 277: 494–498. , , .
- 1991. Characterization of the hst-1 gene and its product. Ann NY Acad Sci 638: 27–37. , , , , .
- 2006. Receptor specificity of the fibroblast growth factor family. The complete mammalian FGF family. J Biol Chem 281: 15694–15700. , , , , , .