Patterns & Phenotypes
Slits and robos in the developing chicken inner ear
Article first published online: 21 JAN 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 237, Issue 2, pages 476–484, February 2008
How to Cite
Battisti, A. C. and Fekete, D. M. (2008), Slits and robos in the developing chicken inner ear. Dev. Dyn., 237: 476–484. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21429
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 21 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 DEC 2007
- NIH. Grant Number: DC002756
- 1999. Chimeric axon guidance receptors: the cytoplasmic domains of slit and netrin receptors specify attraction versus repulsion. Cell 97: 917–926. , .
- 1996. Standard atlas of the gross anatomy of the developing inner ear of the chicken. J Comp Neurol 368: 620–630. , .
- 2005. Morphogen signaling at the vertebrate growth cone: a few cases or a general strategy? J Neurobiol 64: 405–416. .
- 2000. A fate map of chick otic cup closure reveals lineage boundaries in the dorsal otocyst. Dev Biol 227: 256–270. , , .
- 1999. Slit proteins bind Robo receptors and have an evolutionarily conserved role in repulsive axon guidance. Cell 96: 795–806. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Slit proteins: key regulators of axon guidance, axonal branching, and cell migration. Curr Opin Neurobiol 10: 95–102. , .
- 1983. Studies on cell migration and axon guidance in the developing distal auditory system of the mouse. J Comp Neurol 215: 359–369. , .
- 2005. Novel brain wiring functions for classical morphogens: a role as graded positional cues in axon guidance. Development 132: 2251–2262. , .
- 2003. Cranial expression of class 3 secreted semaphorins and their neuropilin receptors. Dev Dyn 228: 726–733. , .
- 1994. Choline acetyltransferase-immunoreactive cochlear efferent neurons in the chick auditory brainstem. J Comp Neurol 340: 161–173. , .
- 2000. EphB2 guides axons at the midline and is necessary for normal vestibular function. Neuron 26: 417–430. , , , , .
- 1983. Contributions of placodal and neural crest cells to avian cranial peripheral ganglia. Am J Anat 166: 445–468. , .
- 2006. Regulation of commissural axon pathfinding by slit and its Robo receptors. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 22: 651–675. , .
- 2007. Axon guidance in the inner ear. Int J Dev Biol 51: 549–556. , .
- 1994. Cochlear and lagenar ganglia of the chicken. J Morphol 220: 71–83. , , .
- 1980. Synaptogenesis in the vestibular sensory epithelium of the chick embryo. J Neurocytol 9: 405–424. , .
- 2003. Neuropilin-1 conveys semaphorin and VEGF signaling during neural and cardiovascular development. Dev Cell 5: 45–57. , , , , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphology 88: 49–91. , .
- 2005. The axon guidance receptor gene ROBO1 is a candidate gene for developmental dyslexia. PLoS Genet 1: e50. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Ganglion formation from the otic placode and the otic crest in the chick embryo: mitosis, migration, and the basal lamina. Anat Embryol (Berl) 184: 1–13. , .
- 1989. Invagination of the otic placode: normal development and experimental manipulation. J Exp Zool 251: 253–264. , , .
- 2001. Expression of slit-2 and slit-3 during chick development. Dev Dyn 222: 301–307. , .
- 2003. Signaling at the growth cone: ligand-receptor complexes and the control of axon growth and guidance. Annu Rev Neurosci 26: 509–563. , , , .
- 2004. Mutations in a human ROBO gene disrupt hindbrain axon pathway crossing and morphogenesis. Science 304: 1509–1513. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Roundabout controls axon crossing of the CNS midline and defines a novel subfamily of evolutionarily conserved guidance receptors. Cell 92: 205–215. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Slit is the midline repellent for the robo receptor in Drosophila. Cell 96: 785–794. , , .
- 1967. Correlation of the development of membranous and bony labyrinths, acoustic ganglia, nerves, and brain centers in the chick embryo. J Morphol 121: 179–208. .
- 1988. Early development of the facial nerve in the chick embryo with special reference to the development of the chorda tympani. Am J Anat 182: 169–182. , , , .
- 1999. Vertebrate slit, a secreted ligand for the transmembrane protein roundabout, is a repellent for olfactory bulb axons. Cell 96: 807–818. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Comparative analysis of Gata3 and Gata2 expression during chicken inner ear development. Dev Dyn 236: 306–313. , , , .
- 2007. Dual branch-promoting and branch-repelling actions of Slit/Robo signaling on peripheral and central branches of developing sensory axons. J Neurosci 27: 6843–6851. , .
- 2002. Spatiotemporal expression patterns of slit and robo genes in the rat brain. J Comp Neurol 442: 130–155. , , , , , .
- 2006. A disorganized innervation of the inner ear persists in the absence of ErbB2. Brain Res 1091: 186–199. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Diversity and specificity of actions of Slit2 proteolytic fragments in axon guidance. J Neurosci 21: 4281–4289. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Wiring the ear to the brain: the molecular basis of neurosensory development, differentiation, and survival. In: KelleyMW, WuDK, PopperAN, FayRR, editors. Development of the inner ear. New York: Springer. p 85–121. , , , .
- 2006. Foxg1 is required for morphogenesis and histogenesis of the mammalian inner ear. Dev Dyn 235: 2470–2482. , , .
- 2007. Cross-regulation of Ngn1 and Math1 coordinates the production of neurons and sensory hair cells during inner ear development. Development 134: 4405–4415. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Selecting a longitudinal pathway: Robo receptors specify the lateral position of axons in the Drosophila CNS. Cell 103: 1033–1045. , , , .
- 1995. Sonic hedgehog is an endodermal signal inducing Bmp-4 and Hox genes during induction and regionalization of the chick hindgut. Development 121: 3163–3174. , , , , , .
- 1990. slit: an extracellular protein necessary for development of midline glia and commissural axon pathways contains both EGF and LRR domains. Genes Dev 4: 2169–2187. , , , .
- 2002. Auditory system development: primary auditory neurons and their targets. Annu Rev Neurosci 25: 51–101. , .
- 2004. The divergent Robo family protein rig-1/Robo3 is a negative regulator of slit responsiveness required for midline crossing by commissural axons. Cell 117: 157–169. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Otx2, Gbx2, and Fgf8 expression patterns in the chick developing inner ear and their possible roles in otic specification and early innervation. Gene Expr Patterns 4: 659–669. , , .
- 1993. Mutations affecting growth cone guidance in Drosophila: genes necessary for guidance toward or away from the midline. Neuron 10: 409–426. , , , .
- 2005. Differential expression of Eph receptors and ephrins in the cochlear ganglion and eighth cranial nerve of the chick embryo. J Comp Neurol 482: 309–319. , .
- 1982. Acoustic and vestibular efferent neurons in the chicken (Gallus domesticus). A horseradish peroxidase study. Acta Otolaryngol 94: 45–51. , .
- 2004. NT-3 replacement with brain-derived neurotrophic factor redirects vestibular nerve fibers to the cochlea. J Neurosci 24: 2575–2584. , , .
- 2001. Expression patterns of Slit and Robo family members during vertebrate limb development. Mech Dev 106: 175–180. , , , , .
- 1991. Expression of nerve growth factor (NGF) receptors in the developing inner ear of chick and rat. Development 113: 455–470. , , , , , .
- 1999. Biochemical purification of a mammalian slit protein as a positive regulator of sensory axon elongation and branching. Cell 96: 771–784. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Axon guidance cues in auditory development. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 288: 390–396. , .
- 1985. The development of innervation patterns in the avian cochlea. Neuroscience 14: 255–276. , .
- 2001. Multiple roles of EPH receptors and ephrins in neural development. Nat Rev Neurosci 2: 155–164. .
- 2002. Slit proteins: molecular guidance cues for cells ranging from neurons to leukocytes. Curr Opin Genet Dev 12: 583–591. , , , .
- 1996. Sensory organ generation in the chick inner ear. J Neurosci 16: 6454–6462. , .
- 1999. The mouse SLIT family: secreted ligands for ROBO expressed in patterns that suggest a role in morphogenesis and axon guidance. Dev Biol 212: 290–306. , , , , , .