Patterns & Phenotypes
Pulmonary hypoplasia in the connective tissue growth factor (Ctgf) null mouse
Article first published online: 21 JAN 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 237, Issue 2, pages 485–493, February 2008
How to Cite
Baguma-Nibasheka, M. and Kablar, B. (2008), Pulmonary hypoplasia in the connective tissue growth factor (Ctgf) null mouse. Dev. Dyn., 237: 485–493. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21433
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 21 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 MAY 2007
- National Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada. Grant Number: 238726-01
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Grant Number: MOP-68823
- Lung Association of Nova Scotia
- Canada Foundation for Innovation
- Dalhousie Medical Research Foundation
- 2002. Connective tissue growth factor and regulation of the mesangial cell cycle: role in cellular hypertrophy. J Am Soc Nephrol 13: 2437–2445. , , , .
- 1975. Derivation of type 1 epithelium from type 2 cells in the developing rat lung. Lab Invest 32: 736–745. , .
- 2007. Connective tissue growth factor (CTGF/CCN2) is a downstream mediator for TGF-beta1-induced extracellular matrix production in osteoblasts. J Cell Physiol 210: 843–852. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Fisp12/mouse connective tissue growth factor mediates endothelial cell adhesion and migration through integrin alphavbeta3, promotes endothelial cell survival, and induces angiogenesis in vivo. Mol Cell Biol 19: 2958–2966. , , .
- 2007. Microarray analysis of Myf5−/−:MyoD−/− hypoplastic mouse lungs reveals a profile of genes involved in pneumocyte differentiation. Histol Histopathol 22: 483–495. , , , .
- 1992. Cell death and control of cell survival in the oligodendrocyte lineage. Cell 70: 31–46. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Surfactant phospholipids: synthesis and storage. Am J Physiol 262: L367–L385. .
- 1988. The insulin-like growth factors and their binding proteins. Comp Biochem Physiol B 91: 229–235. .
- 1999. Ultrastructural evaluation of lung maturation in a sheep model of diaphragmatic hernia and tracheal occlusion. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 20: 805–812. , , , , , .
- 1993. Ultrastructural features of alveolar epithelial cells in the late fetal pulmonary acinus: a comparison between normal and hypoplastic lungs using a rat model of pulmonary hypoplasia and congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Microsc Res Tech 26: 389–399. , , , , .
- 2003. The CCN family: a new stimulus package. J Endocrinol 178: 169–175. .
- 1991. Platelet-derived growth factor and growth-related genes in rat lung. I. Developmental expression. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 5: 371–376. , , , , .
- 2006. Mechanical regulation of the Cyr61/CCN1 and CTGF/CCN2 proteins. FEBS J 273: 3639–3649. , .
- 2006. Suppression of cell proliferation and signaling transduction by connective tissue growth factor in non-small cell lung cancer cells. Mol Cancer Res 4: 591–598. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Lethal neonatal chondrodysplasias in the West of Scotland 1970–1983 with a description of a thanatophoric, dysplasialike, autosomal recessive disorder, Glasgow variant. Am J Med Genet 22: 243–253. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Connective tissue growth factor [CTGF]/CCN2 stimulates mesangial cell migration through integrated dissolution of focal adhesion complexes and activation of cell polarization. FASEB J 18: 1541–1543. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Inhibition of connective tissue growth factor (CTGF/CCN2) expression decreases the survival and myogenic differentiation of human rhabdomyosarcoma cells. Cancer Res 64: 1730–1736. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Anti-apoptotic actions of cytokines in mammalian cells. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 221: 1–13. , .
- 2004. Structural basis and therapeutic implication of the interaction of CCN proteins with glycoconjugates. Curr Pharm Des 10: 3913–3928. .
- 1994. Pulmonary hypoplasia associated with reduced thoracic space in mice with disproportionate micromelia (DMM). Anat Rec 238: 454–462. , , , , , .
- 1996. Stimulation of fibroblast cell growth, matrix production, and granulation tissue formation by connective tissue growth factor. J Invest Dermatol 107: 404–411. , , , , .
- 2004. Connective tissue growth factor (CCN2) induces adhesion of rat activated hepatic stellate cells by binding of its C-terminal domain to integrin alpha(v)beta(3) and heparan sulfate proteoglycan. J Biol Chem 279: 8848–8855. , .
- 1999. Mechanical distention modulates alveolar epithelial cell phenotypic expression by transcriptional regulation. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 21: 223–229. , , , , .
- 2003. Continuous mechanical contraction modulates expression of alveolar epithelial cell phenotype. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 29: 81–87. , , .
- 1989. A stereoscopic scanning electron microscope study of pulmonary hypoplasia in chondrodystrophic mice. Scan Microsc 3: 1117–1133. , .
- 1990 Thoracic volume reduction as a mechanism for pulmonary hypoplasia in chondrodystrophic mice. Pediatr Pathol 10: 919–929. , , .
- 1989. Pulmonary hypoplasia in mice homozygous for the cartilage matrix deficiency (cmd) gene: a model for human congenital disorder. Pediatr Pathol 9: 501–512. , , .
- 2003. Abnormal development of the diaphragm in mdx:MyoD−/−9th embryos leads to pulmonary hypoplasia. Int J Dev Biol 47: 363–371. , .
- 2005a. Abnormal development of the intercostal muscles and the rib cage in Myf5−/− embryos leads to pulmonary hypoplasia. Dev Dyn 232: 43–54. , .
- 2005b. Contractile activity of skeletal musculature involved in breathing is essential for normal lung cell differentiation, as revealed in Myf5−/−:MyoD−/− embryos. Dev Dyn 233: 772–782. , .
- 2005. The role of fetal breathing-like movements in lung organogenesis. Histol Histopathol 20: 1261–1266. , , .
- 2003. Connective tissue growth factor coordinates chondrogenesis and angiogenesis during skeletal development. Development 130: 2779–2791. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Effects of mechanical factors on growth and maturation of the lung in fetal sheep. Am J Physiol 272: L95–L105. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Transcription of the lung-specific surfactant protein C gene is mediated by thyroid transcription factor 1. J Biol Chem 271: 6881–6888. , , , .
- 2002. Effects of oligohydramnios on lung growth and maturation in the fetal rat. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 282: L431–L439. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The CCN family of angiogenic regulators: the integrin connection. Exp Cell Res 248: 44–57. , .
- 2003. The role of connective tissue growth factor, a multifunctional matricellular protein, in fibroblast biology. Biochem Cell Biol 81: 355–363 , .
- 2006. All in the CCN family: essential matricellular signaling modulators emerge from the bunker. J Cell Sci 119: 4803–4810. , .
- 2000. Mechanochemical signal transduction in the fetal lung. J Appl Physiol 89: 2078–2084. , .
- 1995. Antisense oligonucleotides for PDGF-B and its receptor inhibit mechanical strain-induced fetal lung cell growth. Am J Physiol 269: L178–L184. , , , , .
- 1999. Mechanical force-induced signal transduction in lung cells. Am J Physiol 277: L667–L683. , , .
- 1995. TTF-1 regulates lung epithelial morphogenesis. Dev Biol 172: 694–698. , , , , , .
- 2006. Podoplanin expression in primary central nervous system germ cell tumors: a useful histological marker for the diagnosis of germinoma. Acta Neuropathol (Berl) 111: 563–568. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. The effect of chronic biphrenectomy on lung growth and maturation in fetal lambs. Morphologic and morphometric studies. Am Rev Respir Dis 137: 167–172. , , , , .
- 1982. Anomalies associated with pulmonary hypoplasia. Am Rev Respir Dis 125: 216–221. , .
- 2004. CCN proteins: multifunctional signalling regulators. Lancet 363: 62–64. .
- 1991. Localization of pulmonary surfactant proteins using immunohistochemistry and tissue in situ hybridization. Exp Lung Res 17: 985–895. , .
- 2003. T1alpha, a lung type I cell differentiation gene, is required for normal lung cell proliferation and alveolus formation at birth. Dev Biol 256: 61–72. , , , , , .
- 2003. Thyroid transcription factor (TTF) -1 regulates the expression of midkine (MK) during lung morphogenesis. Dev Dyn 227: 227–237. , , .
- 1986. Pulmonary hypoplasia in chondrodystrophic mice. Teratology 33: 339–347. , , , .
- 2002. Large-scale analysis of the human and mouse transcriptomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 4465–4470. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Immunohistochemical localization of connective tissue growth factor (CTGF) in the mouse embryo between days 7.5 and 14.5 of gestation. Growth Factors 17: 115–124. , .
- 1990. Ultrastructural characteristics of inclusion bodies of type II cells in late embryonic mouse lung. Anat Embryol (Berl) 181: 317–323. , , .
- 2000. Pulmonary hypoplasia in the myogenin null mouse embryo. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 22: 304–315. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Uptake and intracellular transport of the connective tissue growth factor: a potential mode of action. Biochem J 359: 89–97. , , .
- 2003. Alveolar type I cells: molecular phenotype and development. Annu Rev Physiol 65: 669–695. .
- 2006. Lipoxin A4 inhibits proliferation of human lung fibroblasts induced by connective tissue growth factor. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 34: 65–72. , , , , .
- 1998. Mesenchymal determination of mechanical strain-induced fetal lung cell proliferation. Am J Physiol 275: L545–L550. , , , .
- 2001. Expression of thyroid transcription factor-1, surfactant proteins, type I cell-associated antigen, and Clara cell secretory protein in pulmonary hypoplasia. Pediatr Dev Pathol 4: 364–371. , , , , , , .