The emergence of ectomesenchyme
Article first published online: 25 JAN 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 237, Issue 3, pages 592–601, March 2008
How to Cite
Blentic, A., Tandon, P., Payton, S., Walshe, J., Carney, T., Kelsh, R. N., Mason, I. and Graham, A. (2008), The emergence of ectomesenchyme. Dev. Dyn., 237: 592–601. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21439
- Issue published online: 24 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 25 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 DEC 2007
- The Medical Research Council (UK)
- The Wellcome Trust
- 2003. Dissimilar regulation of cell differentiation in mesencephalic (cranial) and sacral (trunk) neural crest cells in vitro. Development 130: 4567–4579. , , , .
- 1997. Early- and late-migrating cranial neural crest cell populations have equivalent developmental potential in vivo. Development 124: 3077–3087. , , , .
- 2001. The transcription factor Sox10 is a key regulator of peripheral glial development. Genes Dev 15: 66–78. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. A direct role for Sox10 in specification of neural crest-derived sensory neurons. Development 133: 4619–4630. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of sprouty2 during early development of the chick embryo is coincident with known sites of FGF signalling. Mech Dev 91: 361–364. , .
- 2001. Expression patterns of the Ets transcription factors from the PEA3 group during early stages of mouse development. Mech Dev 108: 191–195. , , , , , .
- 1993. The triple origin of skull in higher vertebrates: a study in quail-chick chimeras. Development 117: 409–429. , , .
- 2001. Hedgehog signalling is required for maintenance of myf5 and myoD expression and timely terminal differentiation in zebrafish adaxial myogenesis. Dev Biol 236: 136–150. , , , , , .
- 2004. Reciprocal relationships between Fgf8 and neural crest cells in facial and forebrain development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101: 4843–4847. , , , .
- 1995. The mouse Fgf8 gene encodes a family of polypeptides and is expressed in regions that direct outgrowth and patterning in the developing embryo. Development 121: 439–451. , .
- 2004. An essential role for Fgfs in endodermal pouch formation influences later craniofacial skeletal patterning. Development 131: 5703–5716. , , , , .
- 1983. Contributions of placodal and neural crest cells to avian cranial peripheral ganglia. Am J Anat 166: 445–468. , .
- 2002. Requirement for endoderm and FGF3 in ventral head skeleton formation. Development 129: 4457–4468. , , , , .
- 2002. Origin and early evolution of vertebrate skeletonization. Microsc Res Tech 59: 352–372. , .
- 2001. The winged-helix transcription factor Foxd3 suppresses interneuron differentiation and promotes neural crest cell fate. Development 128: 4127–4138. , , , .
- 2003. Negative feedback regulation of FGF signaling levels by Pyst1/MKP3 in chick embryos. Curr Biol 13: 1009–1018. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Activity assays of nine heterogeneous promoters in neural and other cultured cells. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 30A: 300–305. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The neural crest. Curr Biol 13: R381–384. .
- 2005. The role of the endoderm in the development and evolution of the pharyngeal arches. J Anat 207: 479–487. , , .
- 1992. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. 1951. Dev Dyn 195: 231–272. , .
- 1995. Expression of a Delta homologue in prospective neurons in the chick. Nature 375: 787–790. , , , , , .
- 2006. Expression of chondrogenic potential of mouse trunk neural crest cells by FGF2 treatment. Dev Dyn 235: 361–367. , .
- 1999. 'Shocking' developments in chick embryology: electroporation and in ovo gene expression. Nat Cell Biol 1: E203–E207. , , .
- 2000. Expression of zebrafish fkd6 in neural crest-derived glia. Mech Dev 93: 161–164. , , , .
- 1999. The neural crest. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2004. Neural crest cell plasticity and its limits. Development 131: 4637–4650. , , , .
- 1975. Mesenchymal derivatives of the neural crest: analysis of chimaeric quail and chick embryos. J Embryol Exp Morphol 34: 125–154. , .
- 1991. Segmental origin and migration of neural crest cells in the hindbrain region of the chick embryo. Development 113: 1281–1291. , , .
- 1998. Migration of hypoglossal myoblast precursors. Dev Dyn 213: 349–358. , , .
- 1995. Multiple roles for FGF-3 during cranial neural development in the chicken. Development 121: 1399–1410. , , , , .
- 2002. Fgf3 and Fgf8 are required together for formation of the otic placode and vesicle. Development 129: 2099–2108. , , , , , .
- 2002. Trunk neural crest has skeletogenic potential. Curr Biol 12: 767–771. , .
- 1999. Expression of the Ets transcription factors erm and pea3 in early zebrafish development. Mech Dev 88: 233–236. , , .
- 1982. Mesectodermal capabilities of the trunk neural crest of birds. J Embryol Exp Morphol 70: 1–18. , .
- 1988. Interactions and fates of avian craniofacial mesenchyme. Development 103( Suppl): 121–140. .
- 2001. Survival and glial fate acquisition of neural crest cells are regulated by an interplay between the transcription factor Sox10 and extrinsic combinatorial signaling. Development 128: 3949–3961. , , , , .
- 2000. The endoderm plays an important role in patterning the segmented pharyngeal region in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Dev Biol 225: 339–356. , .
- 2004. The role of actin cables in directing the morphogenesis of the pharyngeal pouches. Development 131: 593–599. , , .
- 2001. FGF2 promotes skeletogenic differentiation of cranial neural crest cells. Development 128: 2143–2152. , , , , .
- 1994. Segment and cell type lineage restrictions during pharyngeal arch development in the zebrafish embryo. Development 120: 483–494. , .
- 1999. Cre-mediated gene inactivation demonstrates that FGF8 is required for cell survival and patterning of the first branchial arch. Genes Dev 13: 3136–3148. , , , , .
- 1999. Pharyngeal arch patterning in the absence of neural crest. Curr Biol 9: 1481–1484. , , , , .
- 2005. Hedgehog signaling is required for cranial neural crest morphogenesis and chondrogenesis at the midline in the zebrafish skull. Development 132: 3977–3988. , , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of FGFR1, FGFR2 and FGFR3 during early neural development in the chick embryo. Mech Dev 90: 103–110. , .
- 2003. Fgf signalling is required for formation of cartilage in the head. Dev Biol 264: 522–536. , .
- 1995. The zebrafish book - a guide for the laboratory use of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Oregon: University of Oregon Press. .
- 2004. Neural crest and the origin of ectomesenchyme: neural fold heterogeneity suggests an alternative hypothesis. Dev Dyn 229: 118–130. , , , , , .
- 1997. Expression of fibroblast growth factor receptors (FGFR1, FGFR2, FGFR3) in the developing head and face. Dev Dyn 210: 41–52. , , , .