Patterns & Phenotypes
Zebrafish sip1a and sip1b are essential for normal axial and neural patterning
Version of Record online: 19 MAR 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 237, Issue 4, pages 1060–1069, April 2008
How to Cite
Delalande, J.-M., Guyote, M. E., Smith, C. M. and Shepherd, I. T. (2008), Zebrafish sip1a and sip1b are essential for normal axial and neural patterning. Dev. Dyn., 237: 1060–1069. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21485
- Issue online: 19 MAR 2008
- Version of Record online: 19 MAR 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JAN 2008
- NIH. Grant Number: 1R01 DK067285-01A1
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Grant Number: 52003727
- Emory University
- 1994. Combinatorial expression of three zebrafish genes related to distal-less: part of a homeobox gene code for the head. J Neurosci 14: 3475–3486. , , , , .
- 2001. Hirschsprung disease, associated syndromes, and genetics: a review. J Med Genet 38: 729–739. , .
- 1998. zfh-1 is required for germ cell migration and gonadal mesoderm development in Drosophila. Development 125: 655–666. , , , , .
- 2001. Loss-of-function mutations in SIP1 Smad interacting protein 1 result in a syndromic Hirschsprung disease. Hum Mol Genet 10: 1503–1510. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The transcription factor snail controls epithelial-mesenchymal transitions by repressing E-cadherin expression. Nat Cell Biol 2: 76–83. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Slug is overexpressed in gastric carcinomas and may act synergistically with SIP1 and Snail in the down-regulation of E-cadherin. J Pathol 211: 507–515. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Snail and slug play distinct roles during breast carcinoma progression. Clin Cancer Res 12: 5395–5402. , , , , , , .
- 2001. The two-handed E box binding zinc finger protein SIP1 downregulates E-cadherin and induces invasion. Mol Cell 7: 1267–1278. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. ZFHX1B mutations in patients with Mowat-Wilson syndrome. Hum Mutat 28: 313–321. , , , , , .
- 2000. XSIP1, a member of two-handed zinc finger proteins, induced anterior neural markers in Xenopus laevis animal cap. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 271: 151–157. , , , .
- 2002. Expression of the SMADIP1 gene during early human development. Mech Dev 114: 187–191. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. The Drosophila zfh-1 and zfh-2 genes encode novel proteins containing both zinc-finger and homeodomain motifs. Mech Dev 34: 113–122. , , .
- 2002. Snail induction of epithelial to mesenchymal transition in tumor cells is accompanied by MUC1 repression and ZEB1 expression. J Biol Chem 277: 39209–39216. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Zebrafish pax[zf-a]: a paired box-containing gene expressed in the neural tube. Embo J 10: 3609–3619. , , , , , .
- 1999. Molecular mechanisms of neural crest formation. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 15: 81–112. , .
- 1993. Loss of function of the Drosophila zfh-1 gene results in abnormal development of mesodermally derived tissues. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 4122–4126. , , , .
- 1982. The neural crest. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2006. Functional conservation of zinc-finger homeodomain gene zfh1/SIP1 in Drosophila heart development. Dev Genes Evol 216: 683–693. , , , .
- 2005. Pc2-mediated sumoylation of Smad-interacting protein 1 attenuates transcriptional repression of E-cadherin. J Biol Chem 280: 35477–35489. , , .
- 2005. Involvement of SIP1 in positioning of somite boundaries in the mouse embryo. Dev Dyn 234: 332–338. , , , , .
- 2007. Smad-interacting protein-1 (Zfhx1b) acts upstream of Wnt signaling in the mouse hippocampus and controls its formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104: 12919–12924. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Bmp activity gradient regulates convergent extension during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol 243: 81–98. , , .
- 2000. Effective targeted gene ‘knockdown’ in zebrafish. Nat Genet 26: 216–220. , .
- 2004. XSIP1 is essential for early neural gene expression and neural differentiation by suppression of BMP signaling. Dev Biol 275: 258–267. , , , .
- 2007. The N-terminus zinc finger domain of Xenopus SIP1 is important for neural induction, but not for suppression of Xbra expression. Int J Dev Biol 51: 321–325. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Patterns in genome evolution. Curr Opin Genet Dev 3: 911–914. .
- 1993. Cloning of the zebrafish krox-20 gene (krx-20) and its expression during hindbrain development. Nucleic Acids Res 21: 1087–1095. , .
- 2001. A new role for E12/E47 in the repression of E-cadherin expression and epithelial-mesenchymal transitions. J Biol Chem 276: 27424–27431. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Cadherins in neural crest cell development and transformation. J Cell Physiol 189: 121–132. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Opposing functions of ZEB proteins in the regulation of the TGFbeta/BMP signaling pathway. Embo J 22: 2443–2452. .
- 2000. Differential expression and function of members of the zfh-1 family of zinc finger/homeodomain repressors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 6391–6396. , .
- 2003. Regulation of Smad signaling through a differential recruitment of coactivators and corepressors by ZEB proteins. Embo J 22: 2453–2462. , , , .
- 2000. Zebrafish comparative genomics and the origins of vertebrate chromosomes. Genome Res 10: 1890–1902. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. New mode of DNA binding of multi-zinc finger transcription factors: deltaEF1 family members bind with two hands to two target sites. Embo J 18: 5073–5084. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Genes dependent on zebrafish cyclops function identified by AFLP differential gene expression screen. Genesis 26: 86–97. , , , , .
- 2005. Molecular genetics of axis formation in zebrafish. Annu Rev Genet 39: 561–613. , .
- 1996. The genesis of avian neural crest cells: a classic embryonic induction. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 9352–9357. , .
- 2003. Churchill, a zinc finger transcriptional activator, regulates the transition between gastrulation and neurulation. Cell 115: 603–613. , , .
- 2004. Roles for GFRalpha1 receptors in zebrafish enteric nervous system development. Development 131: 241–249. , , , , .
- 2003. Coordinated histone modifications mediated by a CtBP co-repressor complex. Nature 422: 735–738. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Expression of Snail, Slug and Sip1 in malignant mesothelioma effusions is associated with matrix metalloproteinase, but not with cadherin expression. Lung Cancer 54: 309–317. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Role of T-box genes during gastrulation. In: SternCD, editor. Gastrulation: from cells to embryo. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Lab. Press. p 571–580. .
- 1999. The Drosophila homeobox genes zfh-1 and even-skipped are required for cardiac-specific differentiation of a numb-dependent lineage decision. Development 126: 3241–3251. , , , .
- 2002. Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions in tumour progression. Nat Rev Cancer 2: 442–454. .
- 1993. Structure of the zebrafish snail1 gene and its expression in wild-type, spadetail and no tail mutant embryos. Development 119: 1203–1215. , , , .
- 2003. Zfhx1a and 2fhx1b mRNAs have non-overlapping expression domains during chick and mouse midgestation limb development. Gene Expr Patterns 3: 39–42. Erratum in Gene Expr Patterns 3:383. , , , , .
- 2003. Mice lacking ZFHX1B, the gene that codes for Smad-interacting protein-1, reveal a role for multiple neural crest cell defects in the etiology of Hirschsprung disease-mental retardation syndrome. Am J Hum Genet 72: 465–470. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Neural crest-specific removal of Zfhx1b in mouse leads to a wide range of neurocristopathies reminiscent of Mowat-Wilson syndrome. Hum Mol Genet 16: 1423–1436. , , , , .
- 2005. SIP1/ZEB2 induces EMT by repressing genes of different epithelial cell-cell junctions. Nucleic Acids Res 33: 6566–6578. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. XSIP1, a Xenopus zinc finger/homeodomain encoding gene highly expressed during early neural development. Mech Dev 94: 189–193. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Interaction between Smad-interacting protein-1 and the corepressor C-terminal binding protein is dispensable for transcriptional repression of E-cadherin. J Biol Chem 278: 26135–26145. , , , , , , .
- 2006. deltaEF1 and SIP1 are differentially expressed and have overlapping activities during Xenopus embryogenesis. Dev Dyn 235: 1491–1500. , , , , , .
- 2007. XSip1 neuralizing activity involves the co-repressor CtBP and occurs through BMP dependent and independent mechanisms. Dev Biol 306: 34–49. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. SIP1, a novel zinc finger/homeodomain repressor, interacts with Smad proteins and binds to 5′-CACCT sequences in candidate target genes. J Biol Chem 274: 20489–20498. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. An obligatory caravanserai stop on the silk road to neural induction: inhibition of BMP/GDF signaling. Semin Cell Dev Biol 17: 117–132. , .
- 2001. Mutations in SIP1, encoding Smad interacting protein-1, cause a form of Hirschsprung disease. Nat Genet 27: 369–370. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Developmental regulation of zebrafish MyoD in wild-type, no tail and spadetail embryos. Development 122: 271–280. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. The zebrafish book. Eugene, OR: University of Oregon Press. .
- 2001. Nonsense and frameshift mutations in ZFHX1B, encoding Smad-interacting protein 1, cause a complex developmental disorder with a great variety of clinical features. Am J Hum Genet 69: 1178–1185. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Twist, a master regulator of morphogenesis, plays an essential role in tumor metastasis. Cell 117: 927–939. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Regulation of ocular lens development by Smad-interacting protein 1 involving Foxe3 activation. Development 132: 4437–4448. , , , .