Special Issue Research Article
Nuclear ferritin-mediated protection of corneal epithelial cells from oxidative damage to DNA
Article first published online: 25 MAR 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on the Extracellular Matrix, in Memory of Dr. Elizabeth D. Hay
Volume 237, Issue 10, pages 2676–2683, October 2008
How to Cite
Cai, C., Ching, A., Lagace, C. and Linsenmayer, T. (2008), Nuclear ferritin-mediated protection of corneal epithelial cells from oxidative damage to DNA. Dev. Dyn., 237: 2676–2683. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21494
- Issue published online: 24 SEP 2008
- Article first published online: 25 MAR 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 JAN 2008
- NIH. Grant Number: EY13127
- 1993. DNA nicking by ultraviolet radiation is enhanced in the presence of iron and of oxygen. Photochem Photobiol 57: 508–512. , .
- 1987. Potential involvement of free radical reactions in ultraviolet light-mediated cutaneous damage. Photochem Photobiol 46: 213–221. .
- 1995. Adaptation of the TdT assay for semi-quantitative flow cytometric detection of DNA strand breaks. Cytometry 20: 257–260. , , , .
- 1997. Ferritin is a developmentally-regulated nuclear protein of avian corneal epithelial cells. J Biol Chem 272: 12831–12839. , , .
- 1998. Nuclear ferritin protects DNA from UV damage in corneal epithelial cells. Mol Biol Cell 9: 1037–1051. , , .
- 1995. Demonstration of DNA damage/repair in individual cells using in situ end labeling: association of p53 with sites of DNA damage. J Pathol 176: 19–26. , , , .
- 2000. An overview of oxidative stress. IUBMB Life 50: 241–244. .
- 2004. Free radicals in cell biology. Int Rev Cytol 237: 57–89. .
- 1992. Single-cell gel electrophoresis applied to the analysis of UV-C damage and its repair in human cells. Int J Rad Biol 62: 313–320. , , .
- 1998. The crystal structure of Dps, a ferritin homolog that binds and protects DNA. Nature Struct Biol 5: 294–303. , , , , .
- 1994. Biological origin of free radicals, and mechanisms of antioxidant protection. Chemico-Biol Interact 91: 133–140. .
- 2000. Free radicals and antioxidants in the year 2000. A historical look to the future. Ann NY Acad Sci 899: 136–147. , .
- 1991. DNA damage by oxygen-derived species. Its mechanism and measurement in mammalian systems. FEBS Lett 281: 9–19. , .
- 1995. An overview of epithelio-mesenchymal transformation. Acta Anat (Basel) 154: 8–20. .
- 1969. Fine structure of the developing avian cornea. In: WolskyA, ChenPS, editors. Monographs in developmental biology. Basel: Karger. p 1–144. , .
- 1990. Cytolysis of corneal epithelial cells by hydrogen peroxide. Exp Eye Res 50: 11–16. , , , , .
- 1999. Sequence-specific DNA cleavage by Fe2+-mediated fenton reactions has possible biological implications. J Biol Chem 274: 962–971. , , , , , .,
- 1993. Cell and tissue responses to oxidative damage. Lab Invest 69: 261–274. , , , .
- 1998. Development and roles of collagenous matrices in the embryonic avian cornea, Prog Retin Eye Res 17: 231–265. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Nuclear ferritin in corneal epithelial cells: tissue-specific nuclear transport and protection from UV-damage. Prog Retin Eye Res 24: 139–159. , , , , .
- 1996. Oxidative damage to DNA constituents by iron-mediated fenton reactions. The deoxycytidine family. J Biol Chem 271: 21167–21176. , , .
- 2003. Peroxide toxicity in conditioned lens epithelial cells: evaluation of multi-defensive systems. Exp Eye Res 77: 711–720. , , , , .
- 2000. Oxyradicals and DNA damage. Carcinogenesis 21: 361–370. .
- 2000. Role of reactive oxygen species in apoptosis: implications for cancer therapy. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 32: 157–170. , .
- 1984. In vivo formation of single-strand breaks in DNA by hydrogen peroxide is mediated by the Haber-Weiss reaction. Biochim Biophys Acta 781: 56–63. , .
- 1991. Iron is the intracellular metal involved in the production of DNA damage by oxygen radicals. Mutat Res 251: 109–113. , .
- 2003. Ferritoid, a tissue-specific nuclear transport protein for ferritin in corneal epithelial cells. J Biol Chem 278: 23963–23970. , , , , , .
- 2003. Human aldehyde dehydrogenase 3A1 (ALDH3A1): biochemical characterization and immunohistochemical localization in the cornea. Biochem J 376: 615–623. , , , , .
- 1990. Cellular injury from sustained vs. acute hydrogen peroxide exposure in cultured human corneal endothelium and human lens epithelium. CLAO J 16: S23–S28. , , , .
- 2005. Oxidative DNA modifications. Exp Toxicol Pathol 57(Suppl 1): 161–169. .
- 1999. Attenuation of endogenous oxidative stress-induced cell death by cytochrome P450 inhibitors in primary cultures of rat hepatocytes. Free Radic Biol Med 27: 1019–1026. , .
- 1996. Subthreshold UV radiation-induced peroxide formation in cultured corneal epithelial cells: The protective effects of lactoferrin. Exp Eye Res 63: 519–526. , , , , , .
- 1982. Iron-induced DNA damage and synthesis in isolated rat liver nuclei. Biochem J 205: 321–329. .
- 1985. Isolation of corneal epithelium with dispase II or EDTA: Effects on the basement membrane zone. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 26: 818–827. , .
- 2005. The so-called Listeria innocua ferritin is a Dps protein. Iron incorporation, detoxification, and DNA protection properties. Biochemistry 44: 5572–5578. , , , , .
- 2004. Interactions and reactions of ferritin with DNA. J Biol Chem 279: 14694–14702. , , , , .,
- 2002. Regulation, mechanisms and proposed function of ferritin translocation to cell nuclei. J Cell Sci 115: 2165–2177. , , , , .
- 1997. Significant levels of oxidants are generated by isolated cardiomyocytes during ischemia prior to reperfusion. J Mol Cell Cardiol 29: 2571–2583. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Reactive oxygen species released from mitochondria during brief hypoxia induce preconditioning in cardiomyocytes. J Biol Chem 273: 18092–18098. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1979. Wavelength dependence and kinetics of UV-induced free radical formation in the human cornea and lens. Photochem Photobiol 30: 391–395. , , .
- 1985. In vitro analysis of corneal development with monoclonal antibodies. Exp Eye Res 40: 537–545. , .