Patterns & Phenotypes
Expression and regulation of the decoy bone morphogenetic protein receptor BAMBI in the developing avian face
Version of Record online: 3 APR 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 237, Issue 5, pages 1500–1508, May 2008
How to Cite
Higashihori, N., Song, Y. and Richman, J. M. (2008), Expression and regulation of the decoy bone morphogenetic protein receptor BAMBI in the developing avian face. Dev. Dyn., 237: 1500–1508. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21529
- Issue online: 21 APR 2008
- Version of Record online: 3 APR 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 FEB 2008
- 2004. Shh and Fgf8 act synergistically to drive cartilage outgrowth during cranial development. Dev Biol 273: 134–148. , .
- 2004. Bmp4 and morphological variation of beaks in Darwin's finches. Science 305: 1462–1465. , , , , .
- 2002a. Endogenous bone morphogenetic proteins regulate outgrowth and epithelial survival during avian lip fusion. Development 129: 4647–4660. , , .
- 2002b. Signalling via type IA and type IB bone morphogenetic protein receptors (BMPR) regulates intramembranous bone formation, chondrogenesis and feather formation in the chicken embryo. Int J Dev Biol 46: 243–253. , , .
- 2002. Extracellular regulation of BMP signaling in vertebrates: a cocktail of modulators. Dev Biol 250: 231–250. , .
- 1997. Ectopic application of recombinant BMP-2 and BMP-4 can change patterning of developing chick facial primordia. Development 124: 391–398. , .
- 1998. FGFs and BMP4 induce both Msx1-independent and Msx1-dependent signaling pathways in early tooth development. Development 125: 4325–4333. , .
- 2006. An early role for sonic hedgehog from foregut endoderm in jaw development: ensuring neural crest cell survival. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103: 11607–11612. , , .
- 2007. Wnt signaling mediates regional specification in the vertebrate face. Development 134: 3283–3295. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Noggin, cartilage morphogenesis, and joint formation in the mammalian skeleton. Science 280: 1455–1457. , , , .
- 2004. Bone morphogenetic proteins. Growth Factors 22: 233–241. , , .
- 2007. The TGF-beta pseudoreceptor gene Bambi is dispensable for mouse embryonic development and postnatal survival. Genesis 45: 482–486. , , , , .
- 2004. BMP receptor IA is required in the mammalian embryo for endodermal morphogenesis and ectodermal patterning. Dev Biol 270: 47–63. , , , , .
- 1994. Bone morphogenetic proteins and a signalling pathway that controls patterning in the developing chick limb. Development 120: 209–218. , , , .
- 1994. Expression patterns of the bone morphogenetic protein genes Bmp-4 and Bmp-2 in the developing chick face suggest a role in outgrowth of the primordia. Dev Dyn 201: 168–178. , , .
- 2003. Craniofacial development: the tissue and molecular interactions that control development of the head. Adv Anat Embryol Cell Biol 169: III–VI, 1–138. , , .
- 2004. Fgf signalling controls the dorsoventral patterning of the zebrafish embryo. Development 131: 2853–2864. , , , .
- 2006. Bone morphogenetic proteins and their antagonists. Rev Endocr Metab Disord 7: 51–65. , .
- 2007. Potential drug targets within bone morphogenetic protein signaling pathways. Curr Opin Pharmacol 7: 325–333. , .
- 2001. Bambi is coexpressed with Bmp-4 during mouse embryogenesis. Mech Dev 100: 327–330. , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1999. The role of sonic hedgehog in normal and abnormal craniofacial morphogenesis. Development 126: 4873–4884. , .
- 2006. Development of the upper lip: morphogenetic and molecular mechanisms. Dev Dyn 235: 1152–1166. , , .
- 2004. Transcriptional regulation of BMP4 synexpression in transgenic Xenopus. EMBO J 23: 844–856. , , .
- 2001. Cloning, characterization, and tissue expression pattern of mouse Nma/BAMBI during odontogenesis. J Dent Res 80: 1895–1902. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Differential effects of physiological concentrations of retinoic acid in vitro on chondrogenesis and myogenesis in chick craniofacial mesenchyme. Differentiation 40: 84–92. , , .
- 2001. Noggin and retinoic acid transform the identity of avian facial prominences. Nature 414: 909–912. , , , .
- 1995. Dorsal differentiation of neural plate cells induced by BMP-mediated signals from epidermal ectoderm. Cell 82: 969–979. , , , .
- 2005a. Threshold-specific requirements for Bmp4 in mandibular development. Dev Biol 283: 282–293. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005b. Distinct functions for Bmp signaling in lip and palate fusion in mice. Development 132: 1453–1461. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression of Bambi is widespread in juvenile and adult rat tissues and is regulated in male germ cells. Endocrinology 144: 4180–4186. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Upper beak truncation in chicken embryos with the cleft primary palate mutation is due to an epithelial defect in the frontonasal mass. Dev Dyn 230: 335–349. , , .
- 2007. FGF signaling in mandibular skeletogenesis. Orthod Craniofac Res 10: 59–66. , .
- 2002. Region- and stage-specific effects of FGFs and BMPs in chick mandibular morphogenesis. Dev Dyn 223: 333–352. , , , , .
- 2000. TGF-beta signaling by Smad proteins. Adv Immunol 75: 115–157. , , .
- 1997. Antagonistic interactions between FGF and BMP signaling pathways: a mechanism for positioning the sites of tooth formation. Cell 90: 247–255. , , , .
- 1999. Silencing of TGF-beta signalling by the pseudoreceptor BAMBI. Nature 401: 480–485. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Regulation of BMP-7 expression by retinoic acid and prostaglandin E(2). J Cell Physiol 190: 207–217. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Differential growth of facial primordia in chick embryos: responses of facial mesenchyme to basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) and serum in micromass culture. Development 109: 341–348. , .
- 2003. About face: signals and genes controlling jaw patterning and identity in vertebrates. Bioessays 25: 554–568. , .
- 1989. Epithelia are interchangeable between facial primordia of chick embryos and morphogenesis is controlled by the mesenchyme. Dev Biol 136: 201–210. , .
- 1992. Epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in the outgrowth of limb buds and facial primordia in chick embryos. Dev Biol 154: 299–308. , .
- 1997. Effect of fibroblast growth factors on outgrowth of facial mesenchyme. Dev Biol 189: 135–147. , , , .
- 2007. Sequence evaluation of FGF and FGFR gene conserved non-coding elements in non-syndromic cleft lip and palate cases. Am J Med Genet A 143: 3228–3234. , .
- 1999. Retinoic acid regulates programmed cell death through BMP signalling. Nat Cell Biol 1: 125–126. , , , , , .
- 2006. Transcriptional profiling of caudal fin regeneration in zebrafish. ScientificWorldJournal 6: 38–54. , , , .
- 2004a. Identification of BMP and activin membrane-bound inhibitor (BAMBI), an inhibitor of transforming growth factor-beta signaling, as a target of the beta-catenin pathway in colorectal tumor cells. J Biol Chem 279: 6840–6846. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004b. Transcriptional regulation of the TGF-beta pseudoreceptor BAMBI by TGF-beta signaling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 320: 680–684. , , , .
- 1999. Regulation of the onset of neural crest migration by coordinated activity of BMP4 and Noggin in the dorsal neural tube. Development 126: 4749–4762. , .
- 1997. Chicken transcription factor AP-2: cloning, expression and its role in outgrowth of facial prominences and limb buds. Dev Biol 188: 248–266. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Mechanisms of TGF-beta signaling from cell membrane to the nucleus. Cell 113: 685–700. , .
- 2004. Control of retinoic acid synthesis and FGF expression in the nasal pit is required to pattern the craniofacial skeleton. Dev Biol 276: 313–329. , , , .
- 2008. FGF signals from the nasal slit are required for normal facial morphogenesis. Developmental Biology, in press. , , , , .
- 1999. Cre-mediated gene inactivation demonstrates that FGF8 is required for cell survival and patterning of the first branchial arch. Genes Dev 13: 3136–3148. , , , , .
- 2000. Zebrafish nma is involved in TGFbeta family signaling. Genesis 28: 47–57. , , , , , .
- 2001. Retinoid signalling and skeletal development. Novartis Found Symp 232: 171–185; discussion 185–178. , , .
- 1987. Epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in the development of chick facial primordia and the target of retinoid action. Development 99: 341–351. .
- 1987. The effects of retinoids on cartilage differentiation in micromass cultures of chick facial primordia and the relationship to a specific facial defect. Dev Biol 122: 78–89. , , .
- 2003. Active repression by unliganded retinoid receptors in development: less is sometimes more. J Cell Biol 161: 223–228. , , .
- 2000. Regulation of skeletal progenitor differentiation by the BMP and retinoid signaling pathways. J Cell Biol 148: 679–690. , , , .
- 2004. Molecular shaping of the beak. Science 305: 1465–1466. , , , , .
- 2006. Morphoregulation of avian beaks: comparative mapping of growth zone activities and morphological evolution. Dev Dyn 235: 1400–1412. , , , , .
- 2006. Receptor specificity of the fibroblast growth factor family. The complete mammalian FGF family. J Biol Chem 281: 15694–15700. , , , , , .
- 1996. The Spemann organizer signal noggin binds and inactivates bone morphogenetic protein 4. Cell 86: 599–606. , , .
- 2004. A new role for BMP5 during limb development acting through the synergic activation of Smad and MAPK pathways. Dev Biol 272: 39–52. , , , , , .