This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
Patterns & Phenotypes
Spatiotemporal protein distribution of TGF-βs, their receptors, and extracellular matrix molecules during embryonic tendon development†
Version of Record online: 18 APR 2008
Published 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 237, Issue 5, pages 1477–1489, May 2008
How to Cite
Kuo, C. K., Petersen, B. C. and Tuan, R. S. (2008), Spatiotemporal protein distribution of TGF-βs, their receptors, and extracellular matrix molecules during embryonic tendon development. Dev. Dyn., 237: 1477–1489. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21547
- Issue online: 21 APR 2008
- Version of Record online: 18 APR 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 FEB 2008
- Intramural Research Program of the NIH
- National Institute of Arthritis
- Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. Grant Number: Z01 AR41131
- 2005. The effect of transforming growth factor-beta on mechanical properties of the fibrous tissue regenerated in the patellar tendon after resecting the central portion. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 20: 959–965. , , , , , .
- 1988. Transforming growth factor beta regulates the levels of different fibronectin isoforms in normal human cultured fibroblasts. FEBS Lett 228: 42–44. , , , .
- 2003. Regenerative versus reparative healing in tendon: a study of biomechanical and histological properties in fetal sheep. Ann Biomed Eng 31: 1143–1152. , , , , , .
- 1997. Localization of collagen types I, III and V during tendon development. Changes in collagen types I and III are correlated with changes in fibril diameter. Eur J Cell Biol 72: 352–361. , .
- 1989. Collagen fibril bundles: a branching assembly unit in tendon morphogenesis. Development 107: 437–443. , , , , .
- 1995. Collagen fibrillogenesis in situ: fibril segments undergo post-depositional modifications resulting in linear and lateral growth during matrix development. Dev Dyn 202: 229–243. , , .
- 1997. Collagen fibrillogenesis in situ: fibril segments become long fibrils as the developing tendon matures. Dev Dyn 208: 291–298. , , , , .
- 2003. A somitic compartment of tendon progenitors. Cell 113: 235–248. , , .
- 2005. Temporal expression of growth factors and matrix molecules in healing tendon lesions. J Orthop Res 23: 84–92. , , .
- 1997. Targeted disruption of decorin leads to abnormal collagen fibril morphology and skin fragility. J Cell Biol 136: 729–743. , , , , , .
- 2004. Expression of nitric oxide synthase and transforming growth factor-beta in crush-injured tendon and synovium. Mediators Inflamm 13: 299–305. , , , , .
- 2004. Signals regulating tendon formation during chick embryonic development. Dev Dyn 229: 449–457. , .
- 2001. Fgf8 transcripts are located in tendons during embryonic chick limb development. Mech Dev 108: 203–206. , , .
- 1978. Affinity of fibronectin to collagens of different genetic types and to fibrinogen. J Exp Med 147: 1584–1595. , , .
- 2001. Expression of transforming growth factor-beta isoforms and their receptors in chronic tendinosis. J Anat 199: 231–240. , , , , , .
- 1984. Ultrastructural localization of fibronectin to different anatomic structures of human skin. J Histochem Cytochem 32: 315–321. , .
- 1988. Procollagen intermediates during tendon fibrillogenesis. J Histochem Cytochem 36: 1425–1432. , , , .
- 1990. Type I and type III collagen interactions during fibrillogenesis. Ann N Y Acad Sci 580: 161–175. , , , , .
- 2005. TGF-beta1 reverses the effects of matrix anchorage on the gene expression of decorin and procollagen type I in tendon fibroblasts. Clin Orthop Relat Res Feb: 226–232. , , , , .
- 1993. Defects in mesoderm, neural tube and vascular development in mouse embryos lacking fibronectin. Development 119: 1079–1091. , , , , .
- 2003. Tissue-engineering approach to the repair and regeneration of tendons and ligaments. Tissue Eng 9(suppl 1): S31–S44. , , , , .
- 2000. Identification of collagen fibril fusion during vertebrate tendon morphogenesis. The process relies on unipolar fibrils and is regulated by collagen-proteoglycan interaction. J Mol Biol 295: 891–902. , , , .
- 2000. A role for decorin in the structural organization of periodontal ligament. Lab Invest 80: 1869–1880. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Interaction of the small interstitial proteoglycans biglycan, decorin and fibromodulin with transforming growth factor beta. Biochem J 302(Pt 2): 527–534. , , , , , , .
- 1999. TGF-beta induces fibronectin synthesis through a c-Jun N-terminal kinase-dependent, Smad4-independent pathway. EMBO J 18: 1345–1356. , , .
- 2005. Downregulation of decorin and transforming growth factor-beta1 by decorin gene suppression in tendinocytes. Connect Tissue Res 46: 18–26. , , , .
- 1989. The extracellular matrix architecture relating to myotendinous pattern formation in the distal part of the developing chick limb: an ultrastructural, histochemical and immunocytochemical analysis. Cell Differ Dev 27: 103–120. , , , , .
- 2004. Effects of transforming growth factor-beta 1 on the early stages of healing of the Achilles tendon in a rat model. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 38: 193–197. , , , , , .
- 2002. Flexor tendon healing in vitro: effects of TGF-beta on tendon cell collagen production. J Hand Surg [Am] 27: 615–620. , , , , .
- 1981. Interaction of fibronectin with collagen fibrils. Biochemistry 20: 2325–2330. , , .
- 1988. Transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta) induces fibrosis in a fetal wound model. J Pediatr Surg 23: 647–652. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Type III collagen is crucial for collagen I fibrillogenesis and for normal cardiovascular development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 1852–1856. , , , , .
- 1998. TGF-beta signal transduction. Annu Rev Biochem 67: 753–791. .
- 2006. The logic of TGFbeta signaling. FEBS Lett 580: 2811–2820. , .
- 1989. Transforming growth factor-beta 1 binds to immobilized fibronectin. J Cell Biochem 41: 189–200. , , , .
- 2007. Regulation of tendon differentiation by scleraxis distinguishes force-transmitting tendons from muscle-anchoring tendons. Development 134: 2697–2708. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Transforming growth factor-beta induces expression of vascular endothelial growth factor in human retinal pigment epithelial cells: involvement of mitogen-activated protein kinases. J Cell Physiol 197: 453–462. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Decorin antisense gene therapy improves functional healing of early rabbit ligament scar with enhanced collagen fibrillogenesis in vivo. J Orthop Res 18: 517–523. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Temporal and spatial expression of transforming growth factor-beta in the healing patellar ligament of the rat. J Orthop Res 15: 837–843. , , , , , .
- 1993. Fibronectin promotes the elongation of microvessels during angiogenesis in vitro. J Cell Physiol 154: 654–661. , , .
- 1998. Differential expression of genes associated with collagen fibril growth in the chicken tendon: identification of structural and regulatory genes by subtractive hybridization. Arch Biochem Biophys 350: 1–9. , .
- 1989. Expression of transforming growth factor beta 2 RNA during murine embryogenesis. Development 106: 759–767. , , , .
- 1997. Mechanical loading and TGF-beta regulate proteoglycan synthesis in tendon. Arch Biochem Biophys 342: 203–211. , , .
- 1995. Immunohistological and ultrastructural study of the developing tendons of the avian foot. Anat Embryol (Berl) 192: 483–496. , , , .
- 1999. Alteration of type I and III collagen expression in human peritoneal mesothelial cells in response to hypoxia and transforming growth factor-beta1. Wound Repair Regen 7: 504–510. , , , , .
- 1987. Interaction of small dermatan sulfate proteoglycan from fibroblasts with fibronectin. J Cell Biol 104: 1683–1691. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Decorin core protein fragment Leu155-Val260 interacts with TGF-beta but does not compete for decorin binding to type I collagen. Arch Biochem Biophys 355: 241–248. , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of the tendon cell fate using Scleraxis, a specific marker for tendons and ligaments. Development 128: 3855–3866. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Control of scarring in adult wounds by neutralising antibody to transforming growth factor beta. Lancet 339: 213–214. , , .
- 1994. Neutralising antibody to TGF-beta 1,2 reduces cutaneous scarring in adult rodents. J Cell Sci 107(Pt 5): 1137–1157. , , .
- 1995. Neutralisation of TGF-beta 1 and TGF-beta 2 or exogenous addition of TGF-beta 3 to cutaneous rat wounds reduces scarring. J Cell Sci 108(Pt 3): 985–1002. , , .
- 1987. Influence of fibronectin on the fibrillogenesis of type I and type III collagen. Coll Relat Res 7: 115–123. , , .
- 1996. Patellar tendon and anterior cruciate ligament have different mitogenic responses to platelet-derived growth factor and transforming growth factor beta. J Orthop Res 14: 542–546. , , , .
- 2003. The biomechanical response to doses of TGF-beta 2 in the healing rabbit medial collateral ligament. J Orthop Res 21: 245–249. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of collagens and decorin during aortic arch artery development: implications for matrix pattern formation. Matrix Biol 14: 573–582. , .
- 2005. Tendon and ligament: development, repair and disease. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 75: 226–236. , .
- 2004. Expression of growth factors in canine flexor tendon after laceration in vivo. Ann Plast Surg 53: 393–397. , , , , .
- 2002. Polymerization of type I and III collagens is dependent on fibronectin and enhanced by integrins alpha 11beta 1 and alpha 2beta 1. J Biol Chem 277: 37377–37381. , , , , .
- 1984. Specific inhibition of type I and type II collagen fibrillogenesis by the small proteoglycan of tendon. Biochem J 223: 587–597. , , .
- 2005. Tendon healing in vitro: modification of tenocytes with exogenous vascular endothelial growth factor gene increases expression of transforming growth factor beta but minimally affects expression of collagen genes. J Hand Surg [Am] 30: 222–229. , , .
- 1990. Negative regulation of transforming growth factor-beta by the proteoglycan decorin. Nature 346: 281–284. , , .
- 2003. Effect of vascular endothelial growth factor on rat Achilles tendon healing. Plast Reconstr Surg 112: 1613–1619. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Development of tendon structure and function: regulation of collagen fibrillogenesis. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 5: 5–21. , , , , , , .
- 2006. [ The antagonistic effect of recombinant human decorin on TGF-beta1 stimulation of fibroblasts in collagen lattices]. Zhonghua Shao Shang Za Zhi 22: 207–210. , , , , .