This work is dedicated to the memory of Elizabeth D. Hay and her long-standing interest in EMT in development and tumor genesis.
Special Issue Research Article
The role of twist during palate development†
Version of Record online: 12 AUG 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on the Extracellular Matrix, in Memory of Dr. Elizabeth D. Hay
Volume 237, Issue 10, pages 2716–2725, October 2008
How to Cite
Yu, W., Kamara, H. and Svoboda, K. K. H. (2008), The role of twist during palate development. Dev. Dyn., 237: 2716–2725. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21627
- Issue online: 24 SEP 2008
- Version of Record online: 12 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAY 2008
- Baylor Oral Health Foundation
- March of Dimes. Grant Number: 6-FY06-321
- 2005. beta-Catenin: a pivot between cell adhesion and Wnt signalling. Curr Biol 15: R64–67. .
- 1992. The fate of medial edge epithelial cells during palatal fusion in vitro: an analysis by DiI labelling and confocal microscopy. Development 114: 379–388. , .
- 2001. Dimerization partners determine the activity of the Twist bHLH protein during Drosophila mesoderm development. Development 128: 3145–3159. , , , .
- 1995. Twist is required in head mesenchyme for cranial neural tube morphogenesis. Genes Dev 9: 686–699. , .
- 2004. Death is the major fate of medial edge epithelial cells and the cause of basal lamina degradation during palatogenesis. Development 131: 15–24. , .
- 2002. Programmed cell death is required for palate shelf fusion and is regulated by retinoic acid. Dev Biol 245: 145–156. , , , .
- 2006. Twist is substrate for caspase cleavage and proteasome-mediated degradation. Cell Death Differ 13: 335–345. , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Palate development. Development 103( Suppl): 41–60. .
- 1989. Medial edge epithelium transforms to mesenchyme after embryonic palatal shelves fuse. Dev Biol 131: 455–474. , .
- 2004. Distinct molecular forms of beta-catenin are targeted to adhesive or transcriptional complexes. J Cell Biol 167: 339–349. , .
- 1992. Epithelial-mesenchymal transformation during palatal fusion: carboxyfluorescein traces cells at light and electron microscopic levels. Development 116: 1087–1099. , .
- 1995. An overview of epithelio-mesenchymal transformation. Acta Anat (Basel) 154: 8–20. .
- 2003. Twist is up-regulated in response to Wnt1 and inhibits mouse mammary cell differentiation. Cancer Res 63: 1906–1913. , , , .
- 2006. Analysis of cell migration, transdifferentiation and apoptosis during mouse secondary palate fusion. Development 133: 3341–3347. , .
- 1995. Abnormal lung development and cleft palate in mice lacking TGF-beta 3 indicates defects of epithelial-mesenchymal interaction. Nat Genet 11: 415–421. , , , , , , .
- 2002. PI-3 kinase activity is required for epithelial-mesenchymal transformation during palate fusion. Dev Dyn 225: 316–321. , .
- 2005. Epithelial-mesenchymal transformation during craniofacial development. J Dent Res 84: 678–690. , .
- 2005. A perspective on regulation of cell-cell adhesion and epithelial-mesenchymal transition: known and novel. Cells Tissues Organs 179: 81–86. , .
- 2007. Twist relates to tubular epithelial-mesenchymal transition and interstitial fibrogenesis in the obstructed kidney. J Histochem Cytochem 55: 661–673. , , , , .
- 2002. Direct evidence for a role of beta-catenin/LEF-1 signaling pathway in induction of EMT. Cell Biol Int 26: 463–476. , , .
- 2005. Up-regulation of TWIST in prostate cancer and its implication as a therapeutic target. Cancer Res 65: 5153–5162. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Cell shape changes during gastrulation in Drosophila. Development 110: 73–84. , .
- 2007. Chemical rescue of cleft palate and midline defects in conditional GSK-3beta mice. Nature 446: 79–82. , , , , .
- 2005. Expression of the transcription factors snail, slug, and twist and their clinical significance in human breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 12: 488–496. , , , .
- 2004. Snail family members and cell survival in physiological and pathological cleft palates. Dev Biol 265: 207–218. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Evidence of the involvement of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase in the migration, actin stress fiber formation, and alpha v beta 3-integrin-mediated adherence of human melanoma cells. J Invest Dermatol 107: 597–602. , , , , .
- 2007. Functional role of transforming growth factor-beta type III receptor during palatal fusion. Dev Dyn 236: 791–801. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. TGFbeta3 signaling activates transcription of the LEF1 gene to induce epithelial mesenchymal transformation during mouse palate development. J Cell Biol 163: 1291–1301. , .
- 2004. Transforming growth factor beta (TGFbeta) signalling in palatal growth, apoptosis and epithelial mesenchymal transformation (EMT). Arch Oral Biol 49: 675–689. , , .
- 2008. Palatal Seam Disintegration: To Die or Not to Die? That Is No Longer the Question. Developmental Dynamics 237. .
- 2002. Twist functions in mouse development. Int J Dev Biol 46: 401–413. , .
- 2006. Snail1 transcriptional repressor binds to its own promoter and controls its expression. Nucleic Acids Res 34: 2077–2084. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Gene expression during palate fusion in vivo and in vitro. J Dent Res 84: 526–531. , , , .
- 2005. Regulation of Twist, Snail, and Id1 is conserved between the developing murine palate and tooth. Dev Dyn 234: 28–35. , , .
- 2002. Differential expression of the epithelial-mesenchymal transition regulators snail, SIP1, and twist in gastric cancer. Am J Pathol 161: 1881–1891. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Medial edge epithelium fate traced by cell lineage analysis during epithelial-mesenchymal transformation in vivo. Dev Biol 154: 318–330. , , , .
- 1999. Function of alpha3beta1-tetraspanin protein complexes in tumor cell invasion. Evidence for the role of the complexes in production of matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP-2). J Cell Biol 146: 1375–1389. , .
- 2000. Epithelial-mesenchymal transformation is the mechanism for fusion of the craniofacial primordia involved in morphogenesis of the chicken lip. Dev Biol 228: 337–349. , , .
- 1998. TGFbeta3 promotes transformation of chicken palate medial edge epithelium to mesenchyme in vitro. Development 125: 95–105. , , , .
- 2003. Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions in development and pathologies. Curr Opin Cell Biol 15: 740–746. .
- 2006. Complex networks orchestrate epithelial-mesenchymal transitions. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 7: 131–142. , .
- 1987. The twist gene: isolation of a Drosophila zygotic gene necessary for the establishment of dorsoventral pattern. Nucleic Acids Res 15: 3439–3453. , , .
- 1988. Sequence of the twist gene and nuclear localization of its protein in endomesodermal cells of early Drosophila embryos. Embo J 7: 2175–2183. , , , .
- 2005. TGFbeta-induced downregulation of E-cadherin-based cell-cell adhesion depends on PI3-kinase and PTEN. J Cell Sci 118: 4901–4912. , , , , , .
- 2004. Expression of twist and wnt in human breast cancer. Anticaner Res 24: 3851–3856. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Cell autonomous requirement for Tgfbr2 in the disappearance of medial edge epithelium during palatal fusion. Dev Biol 297: 238–248. , , , , , .
- 2004. Twist, a master regulator of morphogenesis, plays an essential role in tumor metastasis. Cell 117: 927–939. , , , , , , , , , .