The Caenorhabditis elegans DDX-23, a homolog of yeast splicing factor PRP28, is required for the sperm-oocyte switch and differentiation of various cell types
Article first published online: 26 AUG 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 237, Issue 9, pages 2367–2377, September 2008
How to Cite
Konishi, T., Uodome, N. and Sugimoto, A. (2008), The Caenorhabditis elegans DDX-23, a homolog of yeast splicing factor PRP28, is required for the sperm-oocyte switch and differentiation of various cell types. Dev. Dyn., 237: 2367–2377. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21649
- Issue published online: 26 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 26 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 JUN 2008
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan
- 2001. A regulatory cascade of three homeobox genes, ceh-10, ttx-3 and ceh-23, controls cell fate specification of a defined interneuron class in C. elegans. Development 128: 1951–1969. , , , , , .
- 2002. The MEP-1 zinc-finger protein acts with MOG DEAH box proteins to control gene expression via the fem-3 3′ untranslated region in Caenorhabditis elegans. RNA 8: 725–739. , , , , , , .
- 1974. The genetics of Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 77: 71–94. .
- 1990. The yeast PRP2 protein, a putative RNA-dependent ATPase, shares extensive sequence homology with two other pre-mRNA splicing factors. Nucleic Acids Res 18: 6447. , .
- 2001. Specific alterations of U1-C protein or U1 small nuclear RNA can eliminate the requirement of Prp28p, an essential DEAD box splicing factor. Mol Cell 7: 227–232. , , , , , .
- 1991. Requirement of the RNA helicase-like protein PRP22 for release of messenger RNA from spliceosomes. Nature 349: 487-493. , , .
- 2007. A genome-wide survey and systematic RNAi-based characterization of helicase-like genes in Caenorhabditis elegans. DNA Res 14: 183–199. , , , .
- 1998. Potent and specific genetic interference by double-stranded RNA in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nature 391: 806–811. , , , , , .
- 2000. Deletion and expression analysis of AZFa genes on the human Y chromosome revealed a major role for DBY in male infertility. Hum Mol Genet 9: 1161–1169. , , .
- 1985. Muscle organization in Caenorhabditis elegans: localization of proteins implicated in thin filament attachment and I-band organization. J Cell Biol 101: 1532–1549. , .
- 1998. Repression by the 3′ UTR of fem-3, a sex-determining gene, relies on a ubiquitous mog-dependent control in Caenorhabditis elegans. EMBO J 17: 6337–6347. , , , .
- 2000. Characterization of mutations induced by ethyl methanesulfonate, UV, and trimethylpsoralen in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 269: 64–69. , .
- 1993. The mog-1 gene is required for the switch from spermatogenesis to oogenesis in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 133: 919–931. , .
- 1993. More mog genes that influence the switch from spermatogenesis to oogenesis in the hermaphrodite germ line of Caenorhabditis elegans. Dev Genet 14: 471–484. , , .
- 2005. Introduction to the germ line. WormBook: 1–4. , .
- 2000. Developmental and tissue-specific expression of DEAD box protein p72. Neuroreport 11: 457–462. , , , .
- 1999. Developmental and cell biological functions of the Drosophila DEAD-box protein abstrakt. Curr Biol 9: 1373–1381. , .
- 2003. Systematic functional analysis of the Caenorhabditis elegans genome using RNAi. Nature 421: 231–237. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Ce-Y14 and MAG-1, components of the exon-exon junction complex, are required for embryogenesis and germline sexual switching in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mech Dev 121: 27–35. , , , .
- 1997. Distinct requirements for somatic and germline expression of a generally expressed Caernorhabditis elegans gene. Genetics 146: 227–238. , , , .
- 1996. Spliceosome activation by PRP2 ATPase prior to the first transesterification reaction of pre-mRNA splicing. Mol Cell Biol 16: 6810–6819. , .
- 1999. NANOS-3 and FBF proteins physically interact to control the sperm-oocyte switch in Caenorhabditis elegans. Curr Biol 9: 1009–1018. , , , , , , .
- 2000. SPK-1, a C. elegans SR protein kinase homologue, is essential for embryogenesis and required for germline development. Mech Dev 99: 51–64. , , , , , .
- 1996. p72: a human nuclear DEAD box protein highly related to p68. Nucleic Acids Res 24: 3739–3747. , , , .
- 1988. The product of the Drosophila gene vasa is very similar to eukaryotic initiation factor-4A. Nature 335: 611–617. , .
- 2000. mag-1, a homolog of Drosophila mago nashi, regulates hermaphrodite germ-line sex determination in Caenorhabditis elegans. Dev Biol 218: 172–182. , , .
- 2006. Dead-box proteins: a family affair: active and passive players in RNP-remodeling. Nucleic Acids Res 34: 4168–4180. .
- 2001. Large-scale analysis of gene function in Caenorhabditis elegans by high-throughput RNAi. Curr Biol 11: 171–176. , , , .
- 1983. Differential localization of two myosins within nematode thick filaments. Cell 34: 477–490. , , , .
- 1995. Immunofluorescence microscopy. Methods Cell Biol 48: 365–394. , .
- 1998. Dynamics and ultrastructure of developmental cell fusions in the Caenorhabditis elegans hypodermis. Curr Biol 8: 1087–1090. , , , , .
- 2001. Creation of low-copy integrated transgenic lines in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 157: 1217–1226. , , , .
- 1987. Cellular interactions in early C. elegans embryos. Cell 48: 241–250. , .
- 1999. The Caenorhabditis elegans sex determination gene mog-1 encodes a member of the DEAH-Box protein family. Mol Cell Biol 19: 2189–2197. , .
- 2000. The hermaphrodite sperm/oocyte switch requires the Caenorhabditis elegans homologs of PRP2 and PRP22. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 3276–3281. , .
- 2000. Asymmetric segregation of PIE-1 in C. elegans is mediated by two complementary mechanisms that act through separate PIE-1 protein domains. Mol Cell 6: 445–455. , , , .
- 2004. DEAD-box proteins: the driving forces behind RNA metabolism. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 5: 232–241. , .
- 1997. Developmental genetics of the germ line. In: RiddleDL, BlumenthalT, MeyerBJ, editors. C. elegans II. New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. p 241–269. .
- 1991. PRP16 is an RNA-dependent ATPase that interacts transiently with the spliceosome. Nature 349: 494–499. , .
- 2001. On the role of RNA amplification in dsRNA-triggered gene silencing. Cell 107: 465–476. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Full-genome RNAi profiling of early embryogenesis in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nature 434: 462–469. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression of the 'dead box' RNA helicase p68 is developmentally and growth regulated and correlates with organ differentiation/maturation in the fetus. J Pathol 184: 351–359. , , , , .
- 1994. PRP28, a 'DEAD-box' protein, is required for the first step of mRNA splicing in vitro. Nucleic Acids Res 22: 3187–3193. , .
- 1983. Generation of asymmetry and segregation of germ-line granules in early C. elegans embryos. Cell 35: 15–25. , .
- 2004. The ever-increasing complexities of the exon junction complex. Curr Opin Cell Biol 16: 279–284. , , .
- 1997. The human U5 snRNP-specific 100-kD protein is an RS domain-containing, putative RNA helicase with significant homology to the yeast splicing factor Prp28p. Rna 3: 1313–1326. , , , , .
- 2004. Gonadotropin-regulated testicular RNA helicase (GRTH/Ddx25) is essential for spermatid development and completion of spermatogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101: 6373–6378. , , , , .
- 1998. A new marker for mosaic analysis in Caenorhabditis elegans indicates a fusion between hyp6 and hyp7, two major components of the hypodermis. Genetics 149: 1323–1334. , , .
- 1997. A conserved RNA-binding protein that regulates sexual fates in the C. elegans hermaphrodite germ line. Nature 390: 477–484. , , , , , , .
- 1999. U2AF35 is encoded by an essential gene clustered in an operon with RRM/cyclophilin in Caenorhabditis elegans. RNA 5: 487–494. , .
- 1997. Cloning of Caenorhabditis U2AF65: an alternatively spliced RNA containing a novel exon. Mol Cell Biol 17: 946–953. , , .