Iris as a recipient tissue for pigment cells: Organized in vivo differentiation of melanocytes and pigmented epithelium derived from embryonic stem cells in vitro
Version of Record online: 26 AUG 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 237, Issue 9, pages 2394–2404, September 2008
How to Cite
Aoki, H., Hara, A., Motohashi, T., Chem, H. and Kunisada, T. (2008), Iris as a recipient tissue for pigment cells: Organized in vivo differentiation of melanocytes and pigmented epithelium derived from embryonic stem cells in vitro. Dev. Dyn., 237: 2394–2404. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21656
- Issue online: 26 AUG 2008
- Version of Record online: 26 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JUN 2008
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology of Japan. Grant Number: 15390527
- 2005. Cooperative and indispensable roles of endothelin 3 and KIT signalings in melanocyte development. Dev Dyn 233: 407–417. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Embryonic stem cells that differentiate into RPE cell precursors in vitro develop into RPE cell monolayers in vivo. Exp Eye Res 82: 265–274. , , , , , , .
- 2007a. An in vitro mouse model for retinal ganglion cell replacement therapy using eye-like structures differentiated from ES cells. Exp Eye Res 84: 868–875. , , , , , .
- 2007b. Transplantation of cells from eye-like structures differentiated from embryonic stem cells in vitro and in vivo regeneration of retinal ganglion-like cells. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 246: 255–265. , , , , , .
- 2008. Transplantation of melanocytes into iris: method for iris re-pigmentation. Transplantation 85: 492–494. , , , , .
- 1994. Interaction of endothelin-3 with endothelin-B receptor is essential for development of epidermal melanocytes and enteric neurons. Cell 79: 1277–1285. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Treatment of vitiligo by transplantation of cultured pure melanocyte suspension: analysis of 120 cases. J Am Acad Dermatol 51: 68–74. , , , , , .
- 2007. RPE transplantation and its role in retinal disease. Prog Retin Eye Res 26: 598–635. , , , , .
- 1937. Studies on spotting patterns: II. Genetic analysis of variegated spotting in the house mouse. Genetics 22: 43–64. .
- 1937. Studies on spotting patterns: I. Analysis of quantitative variations in the pied spotting of the house mouse. Genetics 22: 14–42. , .
- 1988. The dominant white spotting (W) locus of the mouse encodes the c-kit proto-oncogene. Cell 55: 185–192. , , .
- 2004. In vitro and in vivo characterization of pigment epithelial cells differentiated from primate embryonic stem cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45: 1020–1025. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Generation of structures formed by lens and retinal cells differentiating from embryonic stem cells. Dev Dyn 228: 664–671. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1984. Histochemical survey of the distribution of the epidermal melanoblasts and melanocytes in the mouse during fetal and postnatal periods. Anat Rec 208: 589–594. .
- 1994. Targeted and natural (piebald-lethal) mutations of endothelin-B receptor gene produce megacolon associated with spotted coat color in mice. Cell 79: 1267–1276. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of growth and melanogenesis of uveal melanocytes. Pigment Cell Res 13( suppl 8): 81–86. .
- 1998. TGF-beta2 inhibits growth of uveal melanocytes at physiological concentrations. Exp Eye Res 67: 143–150. , , , .
- 1999. Selective activation of the versican promoter by epithelial- mesenchymal interactions during hair follicle development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 196: 7336–7341. , , , , , .
- 1998. Transgene expression of steel factor in the basal layer of epidermis promotes survival, proliferation, differentiation and migration of melanocyte precursors. Development 125: 2915–2923. , , , , , , , , .
- 1966. Association of megacolon with two recessive spotting genes in the mouse. J Hered 57: 29–31. .
- 1999. The neural crest. Cambridge UK: Cambridge University Press. 445 p. , .
- 1997. Activation of the receptor tyrosine kinase Kit is required for the proliferation of melanoblasts in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol 192: 99–107. , , , .
- 2006. Notch signaling via Hes1 transcription factor maintains survival of melanoblasts and melanocyte stem cells. J Cell Biol 173: 333–339. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Induction of melanocytes from embryonic stem cells and their therapeutic potential. Pigment Cell Res 19: 284–289. , , , .
- 2007. Multipotent cell fate of neural crest-like cells derived from embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells 25: 402–410. , , , , .
- 1987. T cell subsets involved in the rejection of metastases arising from intraocular melanomas in mice. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 28: 1397–1403. .
- 1991. In utero manipulation of coat color formation by a monoclonal anti-c-kit antibody: two distinct waves of c-kit-dependency during melanocyte development. EMBO J 10: 2111–2118. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Dominant role of the niche in melanocyte stem-cell fate determination. Nature 416: 854–860. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Long-term follow-up of leucoderma patients treated with transplants of autologous cultured melanocytes, ultrathin epidermal sheets and basal cell layer suspension. Br J Dermatol 147: 893–904. , .
- 1999. Embryonic stem cell-models of development. Anat Rec 257: 32–41. .
- 2001. Morphogenesis and renewal of hair follicles from adult multipotent stem cells. Cell 104: 233–245. , , , , .
- 2002. Pluripotent stem cells—model of embryonic development, tool for gene targeting, and basis of cell therapy. Anat Histol Embryol 31: 169–186. , , .
- 2002. Transplantation of intact sheets of fetal neural retina with its retinal pigment epithelium in retinitis pigmentosa patients. Am J Ophthalmol 133: 544–550. , , , , .
- 2004. Vision change after sheet transplant of fetal retina with retinal pigment epithelium to a patient with retinitis pigmentosa. Arch Ophthalmol 122: 1159–1165. , , , , .
- 1949. Analysis of pleiotropism at the W-locus in the mouse; relationship between the effects of W and Wv substitution on hair pigmentation and on erythrocytes. Genetics 34: 708–723. .
- 2002. Systematic evaluation of the mouse eye. Washington DC: CRC Press. 336 p. .
- 1990. Anterior chamber associated immune deviation: the privilege of immunity in the eye. Surv Ophthalmol 35: 67–73. .
- 2006. Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic and adult fibroblast cultures by defined factors. Cell 126: 663–676. , .
- 2007. Induction of pluripotent stem cells from adult human fibroblasts by defined factors. Cell 13: 861–872. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Subretinal injections in rodent eyes: effects on electrophysiology and histology of rat retina. Mol Vis 7: 131–137. , , , .
- 2002. Embryonic stem cells. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press. .
- 1999. Derivation of melanocytes from embryonic stem cells in culture. Dev Dyn 216: 450–458. , , , , .,
- 1993. The role of c-kit proto-oncogene during melanocyte development in mouse. In vivo approach by the in utero microinjection of anti-c-kit antibody. Dev Growth Differ 35: 209–220. , , , , .
- 1996. Neural and skin cell-specific expression pattern conferred by steel factor regulatory sequence in transgenic mice. Dev Dyn 207: 222–232. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Induced pluripotent stem cell lines derived from human somatic cells. Science 318: 1917–1920. , , , , , , , , , , , .