This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
Special Issue Research Article
Broad mesodermal and endodermal deletion of Nodal at postgastrulation stages results solely in left/right axial defects†
Article first published online: 4 SEP 2008
Published 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Left-Right Asymmetry
Volume 237, Issue 12, pages 3591–3601, December 2008
How to Cite
Kumar, A., Lualdi, M., Lewandoski, M. and Kuehn, M. R. (2008), Broad mesodermal and endodermal deletion of Nodal at postgastrulation stages results solely in left/right axial defects. Dev. Dyn., 237: 3591–3601. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21665
- Issue published online: 20 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 4 SEP 2008
- 2006. Synergistic interaction between Gdf1 and Nodal during anterior axis development. Dev Biol 293: 370–381. , , , .
- 2004. A gene network establishing polarity in the early mouse embryo. Semin Cell Dev Biol 15: 555–561. , .
- 2007. Ciliation and gene expression distinguish between node and posterior notochord in the mammalian embryo. Differentiation 75: 133–146. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Talking about a revolution: the impact of site-specific recombinases on genetic analyses in mice. Dev Cell 6: 7–28. , .
- 2002. Nodal activity in the node governs left-right asymmetry. Genes Dev 16: 2339–2344. , , .
- 1994. A primary requirement for nodal in the formation and maintenance of the primitive streak in the mouse. Development 120: 1919–1928. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Nodal flow and the generation of left-right asymmetry. Cell 125: 33–45. , , , .
- 1992. Insertional mutation of a gene involved in growth regulation of the early mouse embryo. Dev Dyn 194: 198–208. , , , , .
- 2004. ALK7, a receptor for nodal, is dispensable for embryogenesis and left-right patterning in the mouse. Mol Cell Biol 24: 9383–9389. , , , , .
- 2007. Transgenic mouse lines expressing Cre recombinase specifically in posterior notochord and notochord. Genesis 45: 729–736. , , , .
- 2005. Left-right asymmetry in embryonic development: a comprehensive review. Mech Dev 122: 3–25. .
- 2001. Conditional control of gene expression in the mouse. Nat Rev Genet 2: 743–755. .
- 2000. Whole mount in situ hybridization to study gene expression during mouse development. In: TuanRS, LoCW, editors. Developmental biology protocols. Totowa, NJ: Humana. p 125–137. , .
- 1996. Conserved left-right asymmetry of nodal expression and alterations in murine situs inversus. Nature 381: 158–161. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. HoxB6-Cre transgenic mice express Cre recombinase in extra-embryonic mesoderm, in lateral plate and limb mesoderm and at the midbrain/hindbrain junction. Genesis 26: 118–120. , , .
- 2001. Genetic dissection of nodal function in patterning the mouse embryo. Development 128: 1831–1843. , , .
- 2004. Multiple roles for Nodal in the epiblast of the mouse embryo in the establishment of anterior-posterior patterning. Dev Biol 273: 149–159. , .
- 1998. An Fgf8 mutant allelic series generated by Cre- and Flp-mediated recombination. Nat Genet 18: 136–141. , , .
- 1997. The signaling pathway mediated by the type IIB activin receptor controls axial patterning and lateral asymmetry in the mouse. Genes Dev 11: 1812–1826. , .
- 2005. Inactivation of FGF8 in early mesoderm reveals an essential role in kidney development. Development 132: 3859–3871. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Gastrula organiser and embryonic patterning in the mouse. Semin Cell Dev Biol 15: 543–554. , .
- 2003. Left-right patterning of the mouse lateral plate requires nodal produced in the node. Dev Biol 256: 160–172. , , , .
- 2007. Nodal signaling: developmental roles and regulation. Development 134: 1023–1034. .
- 1999. Generalized lacZ expression with the ROSA26 Cre reporter strain. Nat Genet 21: 70–71. .
- 2001. Cre reporter strains produced by targeted insertion of EYFP and ECFP into the ROSA26 locus. BMC Dev Biol 1: 4. , , , , , , .
- 2006. The key to left-right asymmetry. Cell 127: 27–32. .
- 1998. The tumor suppressor SMAD4/DPC4 is essential for epiblast proliferation and mesoderm induction in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 3667–3672. , , , .
- 1993. Nodal is a novel TGF-beta-like gene expressed in the mouse node during gastrulation. Nature 361: 543–547. , , , , .