Relating cell and tissue mechanics: Implications and applications
Article first published online: 26 AUG 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 237, Issue 9, pages 2438–2449, September 2008
How to Cite
Jakab, K., Damon, B., Marga, F., Doaga, O., Mironov, V., Kosztin, I., Markwald, R. and Forgacs, G. (2008), Relating cell and tissue mechanics: Implications and applications. Dev. Dyn., 237: 2438–2449. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21684
- Issue published online: 26 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 26 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 JUN 2008
- 2000. Sorting is analogous to phase ordering in fluids. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 9467–9471. , , .
- 2006. Multicellular rosette formation links planar cell polarity to tissue morphogenesis. Dev Cell 11: 459–470. , , , , .
- 1987. Inhibition of actin polymerization by latrunculin A. FEBS Lett 213: 316–318. , , , .
- 1997. Germ-layer surface tensions and “tissue affinities” in Rana pipiens gastrulae: quantitative measurements. Dev Biol 192: 630–644. , , .
- 1998. Living morphogenesis of the heart. Boston: Birhauser. , .
- 2003. Cadherin-mediated cell adhesion and tissue segregation: qualitative and quantitative determinants. Dev Biol 253: 309–323. , , .
- 2006. Stress-strain behavior in uniaxial compression of polymer gel beads. J Appl Polym Sci 102: 3037–3047. , , .
- 2003. Mechanical induction of Twist in the Drosophila foregut/stomodeal primordium. Curr Biol 13: 1365–1377. .
- 2005. Biological physics of the developing embryo. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 1998. Viscoelastic properties of living tissues: a quantitative study. Biophys J 74: 2227–2234. , , , .
- 2005. The differential adhesion hypothesis: a direct evaluation. Dev Biol 278: 255–263. , .
- 1996. Surface tensions of embryonic tissues predict their envelopment behavior. Development 122: 1611–1620. , , , .
- 1945. Viscous flow of crystalline bodies under the action of surface tension. J Phys (Moscow) 9: 85–391. .
- 1993. Biomechanics: mechanical properties of living tissues. New York: Springer-Verlag. .
- 1993. Simulation of the differential adhesion driven rearrangement of biological cells. Phys Rev E 47: 2128–2154. , .
- 1998. Drosophila oocyte localization is mediated by differential cadherin-based adhesion. Nature 395: 387–391. , .
- 1998. Patterning of the follicle cell epithelium along the anterior-posterior axis during Drosophila oogenesis. Development 125: 2837–2846. , .
- 1972. A rheological mechanism sufficient to explain the kinetics of cell sorting. J Theor Biol 37: 43–73. , , , .
- 2007. Can tissue surface tension drive somite formation. Dev Biol 307: 248–257. , .
- 1996. Cell adhesion: the molecular basis of tissue architecture and morphogenesis. Cell 84: 345–357. .
- 2000. Regulation of cadherin adhesive activity. J Cell Biol 148: 399–404. .
- 2004. Surface mechanics mediate pattern formation in the developing retina. Nature 431: 647–652. , .
- 2003. Intracardiac fluid forces are an essential epigenetic factor for embryonic cardiogenesis. Nature 42: 172–177. , , , , , .
- 2001. Mechanics of motor proteins and the cytoskeleton. Sunderland, MA: Sinauer Associates, Inc. .
- 2001. Boundaries in development: formation and function. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 17: 189–214. , .
- 1991. Intermolecular and surface forces. London: Academic Press. .
- 2004. Engineering biological structures of prescribed shape using self-assembling multicellular systems. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101: 2864–2869. , , , , .
- 2008. Tissue engineering by self-assembly of cells printed into topologically defined structures. Tissue Eng 14: 413–421. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Shaping the vertebrate body plan by polarized embryonic cell movements. Science 298: 1950–1954. .
- 1970. Theory of elasticity. Oxford: Pergamon Press. , .
- 2007. Cell surface mechanics and the control of cell shape, tissue patterns and morphogenesis. Nat Rev Mol Biol 8: 633–644. , .
- 1968. Embryonic development of the heart. I. A light and electron microscopic study of myocardial development in the early chick embryo. J Morphol 125: 329–365. .
- 2002. Planar cell polarization: do the same mechanisms regulate Drosophila tissue polarity and vertebrate gastrulation? Trends Genet 18: 564–571. .
- 2005. The role of physical mechanisms in biological self-organization. Phys Rev Lett 95: 178104. , , , .
- 1997. Viscosity and elasticity during collagen assembly in vitro: relevance to Matrix-Driven Translocation. Biopolymers 41: 337–347. , , , , .
- 2008. Epithelial coating mesenchymal shape change through tissue-positioning effects and reduction of surface-minimizing tension. Nat Cell Biol 10: 61–69. , .
- 2008. Experimental evaluation of apparent tissue surface tension based on the exact solution of the Laplace equation. Eur Phys Lett 81: 46003. , , , , .
- 1990. Uvomorulin-catenin complex formation is regulated by a specific domain in the cytoplasmic region of the cell adhesion molecule. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87: 4246–4250. , , .
- 2006. Tissue fusion and cell sorting in embryonic development and disease: biomedical implications. Bioessays 28: 809–821. , .
- 1977. Embryonic tissues as elasticoviscous liquids. II. Direct morphological evidence for cell slippage in centrifuged aggregates. Dev Biol 59: 124–134. , , .
- 2002. Cell biology. Philadelphia: Elsevier. , .
- 2002. An unexplained sequestration of latrunculin a is required in neutrophils for inhibition of actin polymerization. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 52: 122–130. , , .
- 2008.. Quantitative differences in tissue surface tension influence zebrafish germ layer positioning. HSFP Journal, available at: http://hfspj.aip.org/doi/10.2976/1.2834817. , , , , , .
- 2004. Commonality of elastic relaxation times in biofilms. Phys Rev Lett 93: 098102. , , , , .
- 1963. Reconstruction of tissues by dissociated cells. Some morphogenetic tissue movements and the sorting out of embryonic cells may have a common explanation. Science 141: 401–408. .
- 1970. Does differential adhesion govern self-assembly processes in histogenesis? Equilibrium configurations and the emergence of a hierarchy among populations of embryonic cells. J Exp Zool 173: 395–434. .
- 1982. Liquid behavior of embryonic tissues. In: BellairsR, CurtisASG, DunnG, editors. Cell behaviour. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p 583–607. , .
- 1994. Experimental specification of cell sorting, tissue spreading and specific spatial patterning by quantitative differences in cadherin expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 206–209. , .
- 1992. Cell sorting during the regeneration of Hydra from reaggregated cells. Dev Biol 151: 117–127. , .
- 2002. Cell sorting in animal development: signaling and adhesive mechanisms in the formation of tissue boundaries. Curr Opin Genet Dev 12: 572–582. , , .
- 2003. Developmental anatomy of the heart: a tale of mice and man. Physiol Genomics 15: 165–176. , .
- 1999. Tyrosene-PEG-derived poly(ether carbonate)s as new biomaterials. I: synthesis and evaluations. Biomaterials 120: 265–272. , .