Patterns & Phenotypes
Retinoic acid down-regulates Tbx1 expression and induces abnormal differentiation of tongue muscles in fetal mice
Article first published online: 24 SEP 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on the Extracellular Matrix, in Memory of Dr. Elizabeth D. Hay
Volume 237, Issue 10, pages 3059–3070, October 2008
How to Cite
Okano, J., Sakai, Y. and Shiota, K. (2008), Retinoic acid down-regulates Tbx1 expression and induces abnormal differentiation of tongue muscles in fetal mice. Dev. Dyn., 237: 3059–3070. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21715
- Issue published online: 24 SEP 2008
- Article first published online: 24 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JUL 2008
- Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
- 1991. Retinoic acid alters epithelial differentiation during palatogenesis. J Craniofac Genet Dev Biol 11: 315–325. , .
- 1989. Etiology of retinoic acid-induced cleft palate varies with the embryonic stage. Teratology 40: 533–553. , , .
- 2001. The retinoic acid-metabolizing enzyme, CYP26A1, is essential for normal hindbrain patterning, vertebral identity, and development of posterior structures. Genes Dev 15: 226–240. , , , , , .
- 2002. Differential expression of the retinoic acid-metabolizing enzymes CYP26A1 and CYP26B1 during murine organogenesis. Mech Dev 110: 173–177. , , , , , .
- 1998. Functional specificity of the two retinoic acid receptor RAR and RXR families in myogenesis. Oncogene 16: 273–282. , , , , .
- 2002. DiGeorge syndrome: the use of model organisms to dissect complex genetics. Hum Mol Genet 11: 2363–2369. .
- 2003. The formation of skeletal muscle: from somite to limb. J Anat 202: 59–68. , , , , , , , , .
- 1953. Excessive intake of vitamin A as a cause of congenital anomalies in the rat. Science 117: 535–536. .
- 1999. Murine tongue muscle displays a distinct developmental profile of MRF and contractile gene expression. Int J Dev Biol 43: 27–37. , , , , .
- 1988. Palate development. Development 103( Suppl): 41–60. .
- 1997. Metabolic inactivation of retinoic acid by a novel P450 differentially expressed in developing mouse embryos. Embo J 16: 4163–4173. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Aldehyde dehydrogenase 6, a cytosolic retinaldehyde dehydrogenase prominently expressed in sensory neuroepithelia during development. J Biol Chem 275: 41210–41218. , , , , .
- 2006. Dose-dependent interaction of Tbx1 and Crkl and locally aberrant RA signaling in a model of del22q11 syndrome. Dev Cell 10: 81–92. , , , .
- 2006. Retinoic acid activates myogenesis in vivo through Fgf8 signalling. Dev Biol 289: 127–140. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. DiGeorge syndrome phenotype in mice mutant for the T-box gene, Tbx1. Nat Genet 27: 286–291. , .
- 2004. The del22q11.2 candidate gene Tbx1 regulates branchiomeric myogenesis. Hum Mol Genet 13: 2829–2840. , , .
- 2007. Velocardiofacial syndrome, DiGeorge syndrome: the chromosome 22q11.2 deletion syndromes. Lancet 370: 1443–1452. , .
- 1965. Morphological and autoradiographic studies of cleft palate induced in rat embryos by maternal hypervitaminosis A. J Embryol Exp Morphol 14: 223–238. , .
- 1967. Excess vitamin A and development of the cerebral cortex. J Comp Neurol 131: 15–26. , .
- 2000. A retinoic acid synthesizing enzyme in ventral retina and telencephalon of the embryonic mouse. Mech Dev 95: 283–289. , , , , , .
- 2003. Mouse retinal dehydrogenase 4 (RALDH4), molecular cloning, cellular expression, and activity in 9-cis-retinoic acid biosynthesis in intact cells. J Biol Chem 278: 9856–9861. , , , , .
- 2007. Wnt-beta-catenin signaling initiates taste papilla development. Nat Genet 39: 106–112. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Retinoic acid signaling in the brain marks formation of optic projections, maturation of the dorsal telencephalon, and function of limbic sites. J Comp Neurol 470: 297–316. , , , .
- 2005. Apoptosis, proliferation and gene expression patterns in mouse developing tongue. Anat Embryol (Berl) 210: 125–132. .
- 1997. Restricted expression and retinoic acid-induced downregulation of the retinaldehyde dehydrogenase type 2 (RALDH-2) gene during mouse development. Mech Dev 62: 67–78. , , , , .
- 1999. Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is essential for early mouse post-implantation development. Nat Genet 21: 444–448. , , , .
- 2002. Differential expression of retinoic acid-synthesizing (RALDH) enzymes during fetal development and organ differentiation in the mouse. Mech Dev 110: 165–171. , , , , .
- 1983. The embryonic origins of avian cephalic and cervical muscles and associated connective tissues. Am J Anat 168: 257–276. .
- 2007. Involvement of apoptotic cell death and cell cycle perturbation in retinoic acid-induced cleft palate in mice. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 221: 42–-56. , , .
- 2005. Retinoic acid down-regulates Tbx1 expression in vivo and in vitro. Dev Dyn 232: 928–938. , , , .
- 2006. Cyp26 genes a1, b1 and c1 are down-regulated in Tbx1 null mice and inhibition of Cyp26 enzyme function produces a phenocopy of DiGeorge Syndrome in the chick. Hum Mol Genet 15: 3394–3410. , , , , .
- 1999. Retrospective analysis of feeding and speech disorders in 50 patients with velo-cardio-facial syndrome. Genet Couns 10: 71–78. , , , , , .
- 2000. Retinoids in embryonal development. Physiol Rev 80: 1021–1054. , , , .
- 1991. Expression of a retinoic acid response element-hsplacZ transgene defines specific domains of transcriptional activity during mouse embryogenesis. Genes Dev 5: 1333–1344. , , , , .
- 2001. The retinoic acid-inactivating enzyme CYP26 is essential for establishing an uneven distribution of retinoic acid along the anterio-posterior axis within the mouse embryo. Genes Dev 15: 213–225. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The 22q11 deletion syndromes. Hum Mol Genet 9: 2421–2426. .
- 1972. Morphogenesis of malformations in hamsters caused by retinoic acid: relation to dose and stage at treatment. Teratology 5: 103–118. .
- 1984. The retinoids. Orlando, FL: Academic Press. , , .
- 2007. BMP2, BMP4, and their receptors are expressed in the differentiating muscle tissues of mouse embryonic tongue. Cell Tissue Res 329: 103–117. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Identification of RALDH-3, a novel retinaldehyde dehydrogenase, expressed in the ventral region of the retina. Mech Dev 98: 37–50. , , , , , , .
- 2007. CYP26A1 and CYP26C1 cooperatively regulate anterior-posterior patterning of the developing brain and the production of migratory cranial neural crest cells in the mouse. Dev Biol 302: 399–411. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Identification of the human cytochrome P450, P450RAI-2, which is predominantly expressed in the adult cerebellum and is responsible for all-trans-retinoic acid metabolism. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 6403–6408. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Role of TBX1 in human del22q11.2 syndrome. Lancet 362: 1366–1373. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Regulation of retinoic acid distribution is required for proximodistal patterning and outgrowth of the developing mouse limb. Dev Cell 6: 411–422. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Sgn1, a basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor delineates the salivary gland duct cell lineage in mice. Dev Biol 240: 517–530. , , , , , , .
- 2006. TBX1, a DiGeorge syndrome candidate gene, is inhibited by retinoic acid. Int J Dev Biol 50: 55–61. , , , , , .
- 1996. Molecular identification of a major retinoic-acid-synthesizing enzyme, a retinaldehyde-specific dehydrogenase. Eur J Biochem 240: 15–22. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Tbx1 is expressed at multiple sites of epithelial-mesenchymal interaction during early development of the facial complex. Int J Dev Biol 50: 504–510. , , , .