Patterns & Phenotypes
Expression of Fer testis (FerT) tyrosine kinase transcript variants and distribution sites of FerT during the development of the acrosome-acroplaxome-manchette complex in rat spermatids
Version of Record online: 4 NOV 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Left-Right Asymmetry
Volume 237, Issue 12, pages 3882–3891, December 2008
How to Cite
Kierszenbaum, A. L., Rivkin, E. and Tres, L. L. (2008), Expression of Fer testis (FerT) tyrosine kinase transcript variants and distribution sites of FerT during the development of the acrosome-acroplaxome-manchette complex in rat spermatids. Dev. Dyn., 237: 3882–3891. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21789
- Issue online: 20 NOV 2008
- Version of Record online: 4 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 SEP 2008
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: HD36477, HD37282
- 1999. Cloning, mapping, and expression of two novel actin genes, actin-like-7A (ACTL7A) and actin-like-7B (ACTL7B), from the familial dysautonomia candidate region on 9q31. Genomics 58: 302–309. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Fer kinase/FerT and adherens junction dynamics in the testis: an in vitro and in vivo study. Biol Reprod 69: 656–672. , , , , .
- 2006. Identification of polymorphisms in the Hrb, GOPC, and Csnk2a2 genes in two men with globozoospermia. J Androl 27: 11–15. , , , , .
- 1993. Cell biology of mammalian spermiogenesis. In: DesjardinsC, EwingLL, editors. Cell and molecular biology of the testis. New York: Oxford University Press. p 332–376. , , .
- 2003. TES is a novel focal adhesion protein with a role in cell spreading. J. Cell Sci 116: 897–906. , , . .
- 2001. Mice devoid of Fer protein-tyrosine kinase activity are viable and fertile but display reduced cortactin phosphorylation. Mol Cell Biol 21: 603–613. , , , , .
- 2004. Cortactin signalling and dynamic actin networks. Biochem J 382: 13–25. .
- 2004. Actin depolymerization-induced tyrosine phosphorylation of cortactin: the role of Fer kinase. Biochem J 380: 581–591. , , , , , , .
- 1990. A murine fer testis-specific transcript (ferT) encodes a truncated Fer protein. Mol Cell Biol 10: 146–153. , , , , , .
- 2000. ARP1 in Golgi organisation and attachment of manchette microtubules to the nucleus during mammalian spermatogenesis. J. Cell Sci 113: 877–886. , , , .
- 2002. Closing in on the biological functions of Fps/Fes and Fer. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 3: 278–289. .
- 1993. ferT encodes a meiosis-specific nuclear tyrosine kinase. Cell Growth Differ 4: 443–449. , , , , , .
- 2002. Novel actin-related proteins Arp-T1 and Arp-T2 as components of the cytoskeletal calyx of the mammalian sperm head. Exp Cell Res 279: 177–187. , , , , , .
- 2003. Genomic structure and promoter activity of the testis haploid germ cell-specific intronless genes, Tact1 and Tact2. Mol Reprod Dev 65: 148–156. , , , , .
- 1998. Expression of a testis-specific putative actin-capping protein associated with the developing acrosome during rat spermiogenesis. Mol Reprod Dev 49: 81–91. , , , .
- 2004. The novel dominant mutation Dspd leads to a severe spermiogenesis defect in mice. Biol Reprod 70: 1213–1221 , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Lack of acrosome formation in Hrb-deficient mice. Science 294: 1531–1533. , , , , .
- 1991. Tyrosine phosphorylation of a 120-kilodalton pp60src substrate upon epidermal growth factor and platelet-derived growth factor receptor stimulation and in polyomavirus middle-T-antigen-transformed cells. Mol Cell Biol 11: 713–720. , , .
- 1990. The testis-specific transcript (ferT) of the tyrosine kinase FER is expressed during spermatogenesis in a stage-specific manner. Mol Cell Biol 10: 5021–5025. , , , .
- 2006. Tyrosine protein kinases and spermatogenesis: truncation matters. Mol Reprod Dev 73: 399–403. .
- 2004. The acrosome-acroplaxome-manchette complex and the shaping of the spermatid head. Arch Histol Cytol 67: 271–284. , .
- 2002. Ran, a GTP-binding protein involved in nucleocytoplasmic transport and microtubule nucleation, relocates from the manchette to the centrosome region during rat spermiogenesis. Mol Reprod Dev 63: 131–140. , , , .
- 2003a. Acroplaxome, an F-actin-keratin-containing plate, anchors the acrosome to the nucleus during shaping of the spermatid head. Mol Biol Cell 14: 4628–4640. , ,
- 2003b. The actin-based motor myosin Va is a component of the acroplaxome, an acrosome-nuclear envelope junctional plate, and of manchette-associated vesicles. Cytogenet Genome Res 103: 337–344. , , .
- 2004. The acroplaxome is the docking site of Golgi-derived myosin Va/Rab27a/b- containing proacrosomal vesicles in wild-type and Hrb mutant mouse spermatids. Biol Reprod 70: 1400–1410. , , , , .
- 2007. Molecular biology of sperm head shaping. Soc Reprod Fertil Suppl 65: 33–43. , , .
- 2002. Fyn tyrosine kinase in Sertoli cells is involved in mouse spermatogenesis. Biol Reprod 66: 211–221. , , , , .
- 1987. Molecular characterization of the testis specific c-abl mRNA in mouse. EMBO J 6: 4041–4048. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Isolation of the rat spermatid manchette and its perinuclear ring. Dev Biol 200: 46–56. , , .
- 1999. Structural and biochemical features of fractionated spermatid manchettes and sperm axonemes of the azh/azh mutant mouse. Mol Reprod Dev 52: 434–444. , . .
- 2000. Vesicular traffic and golgi apparatus dynamics during mammalian spermatogenesis: implications for acrosome architecture. Biol Reprod 63: 89–98. , , , , .
- 2006. The Fer/Fer non-receptor tyrosine kinase cooperates with Src42A to regulate dorsal closure in Drosophila. Development 133: 3063–3073. , , , .
- 2000. N-terminal sequences direct the autophosphorylation states of the FER tyrosine kinases in vivo. Biochemistry 39: 11084–11091. , , , , .
- 1985. Haploid expression of a unique c-abl transcript in the mouse male germ line. Mol Cell Biol 5: 1791–1794. , .
- 2005. Essential kinase-independent role of a Fer-like non-receptor tyrosine kinase in Caenorhabditis elegans morphogenesis. Development 132: 3185–3195. , , , .
- 2001. Targeting and fusion proteins during mammalian spermiogenesis. Biol Res 34: 147–152. , .
- 1997. A protein associated with the manchette during rat spermiogenesis is encoded by a gene of the TBP-1-like subfamily with highly conserved ATPase and protease domains. Mol Reprod Dev 48: 77–89. , , , .
- 1976. Anchoring device between Sertoli cells and late spermatids in rat seminiferous tubules. Anat Rec 185: 259–279. , .
- 2004. Rab GTPases and myosin motors in organelle motility. Traffic 5: 393–309. , .
- 2003. Novel actin-like proteins T-ACTIN 1 and T-ACTIN 2 are differentially expressed in the cytoplasm and nucleus of mouse haploid germ cells. Biol Reprod 69: 475–482. , , , , , .
- 1991. Identification and characterization of a novel cytoskeleton-associated pp60src substrate. Mol Cell Biol 11: 5113–5124. , , , , .
- 2003. c-Terminal kinesin motor KIFC1 participates in acrosome development and vesicle transport. Biol Reprod 69: 1719–1729. , .
- 2002. Lack of acrosome formation in mice lacking a Golgi protein, GOPC. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 11211–1126. , , , , , , , , , .