Protein kinase a modulates Cdc25B activity during meiotic resumption of mouse oocytes
Article first published online: 25 NOV 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Left-Right Asymmetry
Volume 237, Issue 12, pages 3777–3786, December 2008
How to Cite
Zhang, Y., Zhang, Z., Xu, X.-Y., Li, X.-S., Yu, M., Yu, A.-M., Zong, Z.-H. and Yu, B.-Z. (2008), Protein kinase a modulates Cdc25B activity during meiotic resumption of mouse oocytes. Dev. Dyn., 237: 3777–3786. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21799
- Issue published online: 25 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 25 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 OCT 2008
- National Basic Research Program of China. Grant Number: G-1999055900-2
- 2000. Epigenetic modifications necessary for normal development are established during oocyte growth in mice. Biol Reprod 62: 616–621. , , , , .
- 1986. Involvement of cAMP-dependent protein kinase and protein phosphorylation in regulation of mouse oocyte maturation. Dev Biol 114: 453–462. , , .
- 2006. The when and wheres of CDC25 phosphatases. Curr Opin Cell Biol 18: 185–191. , , .
- 2007. CDC25 phosphatases in cancer cells: key players? Good targets? Nat Rev Cancer 7: 495–507. , , .
- 2001. Absence of apparent phenotype in mice lacking Cdc25C protein phosphatase. Mol Cell Biol 21: 3853–3861. , , , , .
- 1995. 14-3-3 proteins associate with cdc25 phosphatases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 7892–7896. , , .
- 1998. Role of cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterases in resumption of meiosis. Mol Cell Endocrinol 145: 9–14. , , , , .
- 1993. Inhibition of mos-induced oocyte maturation by protein kinase A. J Cell Biol 120: 1197–1202. , , .
- 1999. Cytoplasmic localization of human cdc25C during interphase requires an intact 14-3-3 binding site. Mol Cell Biol 19: 4465–4479. , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of CDC25B phosphatases subcellular localization. Oncogene 19: 2179–2185. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Human pEg3 kinase associates with and phosphorylates CDC25B phosphatase: a potential role for pEg3 in cell cycle regulation. Oncogene 21: 7630–7641. , , , , .
- 2005. Cellular, biochemical and molecular mechanisms regulating oocyte maturation. Mol Cell Endocrinol 234: 19–25. .
- 2003. Regulating mammalian checkpoints through Cdc25 inactivation. EMBO Rep 4: 671–677. , .
- 2002. G2 arrest in Xenopus oocytes depends on phosphorylation of cdc25 by protein kinase A. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 16794–16799. , , .
- 2006. Knockdown of the cAMP-dependent protein kinase (PKA) Type Ialpha regulatory subunit in mouse oocytes disrupts meiotic arrest and results in meiotic spindle defects. Dev Dyn 235: 2961–2968. , , .
- 1989. The participation of cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) in the regulation of meiotic maturation of oocytes in the laboratory mouse. J Reprod Fertil Suppl 38: 3–8. .
- 1984. Chemical signals that regulate mammalian oocyte maturation. Biol Reprod 30: 1–11. , .
- 2005. Regulation of the G(2)/M transition in Xenopus oocytes by the cAMP-dependent protein kinase. J Biol Chem 280: 24339–24346. , , , , , .
- 1997. Myt1: a Wee1-type kinase that phosphorylates Cdc2 on residue Thr14. Prog Cell Cycle Res 3: 233–240. , .
- 1999. Xenopus oocyte maturation: new lessons from a good egg. Bioessays 21: 833–842.
- 2001. Cdc25B activity is regulated by 14-3-3. Oncogene 20: 4393–4401. , .
- 1997. Cdc25 mitotic inducer targeted by chk1 DNA damage checkpoint kinase. Science 277: 1495–1497. , , .
- 1997. Activation of protein kinase C after fertilization is required for remodeling the mouse egg into the zygote. Mol Reprod Dev 46: 587–601. , , .
- 1998. Antisense phosphorothioate oligonucleotides specifically down-regulate cdc25B causing S-phase delay and persistent antiproliferative effects. Int J Cancer 76: 720–728. , .
- 2003. 14-3-3 acts as an intramolecular bridge to regulate cdc25B localization and activity. J Biol Chem 278: 28580–28587. , , .
- 1992. cdc25 is a nuclear protein expressed constitutively throughout the cell cycle in nontransformed mammalian cells. J Cell Biol 118: 785–794. , , , , , .
- 2002. Cross-talk between Akt, p53 and Mdm2: possible implications for the regulation of apoptosis. Oncogene 21: 1299–1303. , , , , .
- 2001. Akt down-regulation of p38 signaling provides a novel mechanism of vascular endothelial growth factor-mediated cytoprotection in endothelial cells. J Biol Chem 276: 30359–30365. , , , , , .
- 2001. Localization of human Cdc25C is regulated both by nuclear export and 14-3-3 protein binding. Oncogene 20: 1839–1851. , , , .
- 1996. Requirement for cAMP-PKA pathway activation by M phase-promoting factor in the transition from mitosis to interphase. Science 271: 1718–1723. , , , .
- 2005. Wee1B is an oocyte-specific kinase involved in the control of meiotic arrest in the mouse. Curr Biol 15: 1670–1676. , , , .
- 2006. 14-3-3 proteins in cell cycle regulation. Semin Cancer Biol 16: 183–192. , .
- 2005. Cell-cycle-dependent subcellular localization of cyclin B1, phosphorylated cyclin B1 and p34cdc2 during oocyte meiotic maturation and fertilization in mouse. Zygote 13: 45–53. , , , , , .
- 1992. A mouse cdc25 homolog is differentially and developmentally expressed. Genes Dev 6: 578–590. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Acquisition of meiotic competence in mouse oocytes: absolute amounts of p34(cdc2), cyclin B1, cdc25C, and wee1 in meiotically incompetent and competent oocytes. Biol Reprod 63: 1610–1616. , , .
- 2001. From progesterone to active Cdc2 in Xenopus oocytes: a puzzling signalling pathway. Biol Cell 93: 35–46. , , , .
- 2004. Paracrine regulation of mammalian oocyte maturation and male germ cell survival. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101: 7323–7328. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Effects of stimulators of protein kinases A and C and modulators of phosphorylation on plasminogen activator activity in porcine oocyte-cumulus cell complexes during in vitro maturation. Mol Reprod Dev 40: 364–370. ,
- 2002. Proteomic analysis of protein phosphorylations in heat shock response and thermotolerance. J Biol Chem 277: 23193–23207. , , .
- 2005. Global phosphoproteome of HT-29 human colon adenocarcinoma cells. J Proteome Res 4: 1339–1346. , , .
- 2006. An active protein kinase A (PKA) is involved in meiotic arrest of rat growing oocytes. Reproduction 132: 33–43. , , , , , .
- 1999. Binding of 14-3-3 proteins and nuclear export control the intracellular localization of the mitotic inducer Cdc25. Genes Dev 13: 1067–1072. , .
- 1998. 14-3-3 proteins act as negative regulators of the mitotic inducer Cdc25 in Xenopus egg extracts. Mol Biol Cell 9: 345–354. , , .
- 2008. Online automated in vivo zebrafish phosphoproteomics: from large-scale analysis down to a single embryo. J Proteome Res 7: 1555–1564. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Cdc25b phosphatase is required for resumption of meiosis during oocyte maturation. Nat Genet 30: 446–449. , , , , , , , .
- 1977. Progesterone-stimulated meiotic cell division in Xenopus oocytes. Induction by regulatory subunit and inhibition by catalytic subunit of adenosine 3′:5′-monophosphate-dependent protein kinase. J Biol Chem 252: 1712–1718. , .
- 2005. Mammalian cyclin-dependent kinases. Trends Biochem Sci 30: 630–641. , .
- 2004. Cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase 3A-deficient mice as a model of female infertility. J Clin Invest 114: 196–205. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Protein kinase A acts at multiple points to inhibit Xenopus oocyte maturation. Mol Cell Biol 14: 4419–4426. , , .
- 2000. Specific interaction between 14-3-3 isoforms and the human CDC25B phosphatase. Oncogene 19: 1257–1265. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Identification and characterization of human Wee1B, a new member of the Wee1 family of Cdk-inhibitory kinases. Genes Cells 5: 839–847. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of the meiotic cell cycle in oocytes. Curr Opin Cell Biol 12: 666–675. , .
- 2000. Cell cycle regulation by the Cdc25 phosphatase family. Prog Cell Cycle Res 4: 107–114. , .
- 2003. Scansite 2.0: proteome-wide prediction of cell signaling interactions using short sequence motifs. Nucleic Acids Res 31: 3635–3641. , , .
- 2006. Molecular dynamics and in vitro analysis of Connexin43: a new 14-3-3 mode-1 interacting protein. Protein Sci 15: 2344–2355. , , , , .
- 1992. Inactivation of the p34cdc2-cyclin B complex by the human WEE1 tyrosine kinase. Science 257: 1955–1957. , .
- 1997. Mitotic and G2 checkpoint control: regulation of 14-3-3 protein binding by phosphorylation of Cdc25C on serine-216. Science 277: 1501–1505. , , , , , .
- 2007. Hemizygous disruption of Cdc25A inhibits cellular transformation and mammary tumorigenesis in mice. Cancer Res 67: 6605–6611. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Roles of protein kinase A and C in spontaneous maturation and in forskolin or 3-isobutyl-1-methylxanthine maintained meiotic arrest of bovine oocytes. Mol Reprod Dev 44: 241–249. , .
- 2007. Cdc25 phosphatases: structure, specificity, and mechanism. Biochemistry 46: 3595–3604. .
- 1981. Progesterone inhibits adenylate cyclase in Xenopus oocytes. Action on the guanine nucleotide regulatory protein. J Biol Chem 256: 6368–6373. , .
- 2002. Inhibition of Xenopus oocyte meiotic maturation by catalytically inactive protein kinase A. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 4361–4366. , .
- 1983. Regulation of mouse oocyte meiotic maturation: implication of a decrease in oocyte cAMP and protein dephosphorylation in commitment to resume meiosis. Dev Biol 97: 264–273. , , .
- 2004. Septin 2 phosphorylation: theoretical and mass spectrometric evidence for the existence of a single phosphorylation site in vivo. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 18: 1123–1130. , , , .
- 1989. The induction of oocyte maturation: transmembrane signaling events and regulation of the cell cycle. Development 107: 685–699. .
- 2008. CDC25A phosphatase controls meiosis I progression in mouse oocytes. Dev Biol 317: 260–269. , , , , , .
- 2003. Excision of the first intron from the gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) transcript serves as a key regulatory step for GnRH biosynthesis. J Biol Chem 278: 18037–18044. , , , , , .
- 1977. Cyclic nucleotide fluctuations during steroid induced meiotic maturation of frog oocytes. Nature 267: 848–850. , .
- 2000. Ca(2+) oscillations induced by a cytosolic sperm protein factor are mediated by a maternal machinery that functions only once in mammalian eggs. Development 127: 1141–1150. , , , .
- 1993. Effect of cyclic AMP on the isolated human oocyte—cumulus complex. Hum Reprod 8: 737–739. , .
- 2004. Binding of 14-3-3beta but not 14-3-3sigma controls the cytoplasmic localization of CDC25B: binding site preferences of 14-3-3 subtypes and the subcellular localization of CDC25B. J Cell Sci 117: 3011–3020. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. A motif-based profile scanning approach for genome-wide prediction of signaling pathways. Nat Biotechnol 19: 348–353. , , , , , .
- 1999. Maintenance of G2 arrest in the Xenopus oocyte: a role for 14-3-3-mediated inhibition of Cdc25 nuclear import. EMBO J 18: 2174–2183. , , , .
- 1999. DNA damage and replication checkpoints in fission yeast require nuclear exclusion of the Cdc25 phosphatase via 14-3-3 binding. Mol Cell Biol 19: 7410–7419. , .
- 2001. HER-2/neu induces p53 ubiquitination via Akt-mediated MDM2 phosphorylation. Nat Cell Biol 3: 973–982. , , , , , .