Roscovitine inhibits thyroid hormone-induced tail regression of the frog tadpole and reveals a role for cyclin C/Cdk8 in the establishment of the metamorphic gene expression program
Version of Record online: 25 NOV 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Left-Right Asymmetry
Volume 237, Issue 12, pages 3787–3797, December 2008
How to Cite
Skirrow, R. C., Veldhoen, N., Domanski, D. and Helbing, C. C. (2008), Roscovitine inhibits thyroid hormone-induced tail regression of the frog tadpole and reveals a role for cyclin C/Cdk8 in the establishment of the metamorphic gene expression program. Dev. Dyn., 237: 3787–3797. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21800
- Issue online: 25 NOV 2008
- Version of Record online: 25 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 OCT 2008
- NSERC operating grant
- NSERC University Faculty
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Scholar Awards
- 2001. Cyclin A/cdk2 activation is involved in hypoxia-induced apoptosis in cardiomyocytes. Circ Res 88: 408–414. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. TFIIH is negatively regulated by cdk8-containing complexes. Nature 407: 102–106. , , .
- 1998. The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors olomoucine and roscovitine arrest human fibroblasts in G1 phase by specific inhibition of CDK2 kinase activity. Exp Cell Res 245: 8–18. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Adenovirus-mediated E2F-1 gene transfer induces an apoptotic response in human gastric carcinoma cells that is enhanced by cyclin dependent kinase inhibitors. Int J Mol Med 6: 55–63. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Cell-specific responses to loss of cyclin-dependent kinases. Oncogene 26: 4469–4477. , .
- 1995. Overexpression of cyclin A in the mammary glands of transgenic mice results in the induction of nuclear abnormalities and increased apoptosis. Cell Growth Differ 6: 1579–1589. , .
- 2000. Cell cycle regulation and RNA polymerase II. Front Biosci 5: 244–257. , , .
- 1996. The thyroid hormone-induced tail resorption program during Xenopus laevis metamorphosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 1924–1929. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Mitogen-activated protein kinases potentiate thyroid hormone receptor transcriptional activity by stabilizing its protein. Endocrinology 144: 1407–1419. , , , .
- 2001. Negative regulation of Gcn4 and Msn2 transcription factors by Srb10 cyclin-dependent kinase. Genes Dev 15: 1078–1092. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Cdc2 and Cdk2 kinase activated by transforming growth factor-beta1 trigger apoptosis through the phosphorylation of retinoblastoma protein in FaO hepatoma cells. J Biol Chem 274: 31775–31783. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Potent inhibitors of cyclin-dependent kinase 2 induce nuclear accumulation of wild-type p53 and nucleolar fragmentation in human untransformed and tumor-derived cells. Oncogene 18: 7409–7422. .
- 1996. Structural basis for specificity and potency of a flavonoid inhibitor of human CDK2, a cell cycle kinase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 2735–2740. , , , , , .
- 1998. CDK4, a possible critical regulator of apoptosis in rat pheochromocytoma PC12 cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 253: 609–613. , , , , .
- 1994. Quantitation of endogenous thyroid hormone receptors a and b during embryogenesis and metamorphosis in Xenopus laevis. J Biol Chem 269: 24459–24465. , .
- 1996. Ligand induction of a transcriptionally active thyroid hormone receptor coactivator complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 8329–8333. , , .
- 2002. Kainate receptor-mediated apoptosis in primary cultures of cerebellar granule cells is attenuated by mitogen-activated protein and cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors. Br J Pharmacol 135: 1733–1742. , .
- 1998. A link between cell cycle and cell death: Bax and Bcl-2 modulate Cdk2 activation during thymocyte apoptosis. EMBO J 17: 7209–7218. , , .
- 1998. Exploiting chemical libraries, structure, and genomics in the search for kinase inhibitors. Science 281: 533–538. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Synthetic cyclin dependent kinase inhibitors. New generation of potent anti-cancer drugs. Adv Exp Med Biol 457: 341–353. , , , , , .
- 2002. Mechanism of thyroid hormone action. Thyroid 12: 441–446. , .
- 1994. 3,5,3′-Triiodothyronine-induced carbamyl phosphate synthetase gene expression is stabilized in the liver of Rana catesbeiana tadpoles during heat shock. J Biol Chem 269: 11743–11750. , .
- 1992. Sequential up-regulation of thyroid hormone b receptor, ornithine transcarbamylase and carbamyl phosphate synthetase mRNAs in the liver of Rana catesbeiana tadpoles during spontaneous and thyroid hormone-induced metamorphosis. Dev Genet 13: 289–301. , , .
- 1996. Characterization of a Rana catesbeiana Hsp30 gene and its expression in the liver of this amphibian during both spontaneous and thyroid hormone-induced metamorphosis. Dev Genet 18: 223–233. , , .
- 1998. Quiescence versus apoptosis: Myc abundance determines pathway of exit from the cell cycle. Oncogene 17: 1491–1501. , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression profiles of novel thyroid hormone-responsive genes and proteins in the tail of Xenopus laevis tadpoles undergoing precocious metamorphosis. Mol Endocrinol 17: 1395–1409. , , , , , .
- 1999. Modulation of apoptosis by the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(Kip1). J Clin Invest 103: 597–604. , , , , .
- 1994. Participation of cyclin A in Myc-induced apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 6875–6879. , , , , .
- 2007. Genistein prevents thyroid hormone-dependent tail regression of Rana catesbeiana tadpoles by targetting protein kinase C and thyroid hormone receptor alpha. Dev Dyn 236: 777–790. , , , .
- 1994. Evidence that phosphorylation events participate in thyroid hormone action. Endocrinology 134: 543–548. , , .
- 1993. Cultured cells as a model for amphibian metamorphosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90: 6013–6017. , .
- 1991. Developmental and regional expression of thyroid hormone receptor genes during Xenopus metamorphosis. Development 112: 933–943. , , .
- 2000. Augmentation of thyroid hormone receptor-mediated transcription by Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase type IV. Endocrinology 141: 2275–2278. , , , , .
- 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680–685. .
- 1997. Neuronal cdc2-like kinase (Nclk) binds and phosphorylates the retinoblastoma protein. J Biol Chem 272: 5622–5626. , , , , .
- 1998. Cleavage of p21Cip1/Waf1 and p27Kip1 mediates apoptosis in endothelial cells through activation of Cdk2: role of a caspase cascade. Mol Cell 1: 553–563. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Apoptosis of central and peripheral neurons can be prevented with cyclin-dependent kinase/mitogen-activated protein kinase inhibitors. J Neurochem 70: 1401–1410. , , , , , .
- 2000. Transcriptional regulation through Mediator-like coactivators in yeast and metazoan cells. Trends Biochem Sci 25: 277–283. , .
- 1997. Biochemical and cellular effects of roscovitine, a potent and selective inhibitor of the cyclin-dependent kinases cdc2, cdk2 and cdk5. Eur J Biochem 243: 527–536. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Suppression of apoptosis by dominant negative mutants of cyclin-dependent protein kinases. J Biol Chem 271: 10205–10209. , .
- 1994. Activation of cyclin A-dependent protein kinases during apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 3754–3758. , , , .
- 1999. Roscovitine induces cell death and morphological changes indicative of apoptosis in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells. Cancer Res 59: 1903–1910. , , .
- 1994. A MAP kinase-dependent spindle assembly checkpoint in Xenopus egg extracts. Cell 79: 475–486. , , , .
- 2003. Srb10/Cdk8 regulates yeast filamentous growth by phosphorylating the transcription factor Ste12. Nature 421: 187–190. , , , , .
- 1999. Role of cell cycle regulatory proteins in cerebellar granule neuron apoptosis. J Neurosci 19: 8747–8756. , , , .
- 1998. Cyclin-dependent kinases participate in death of neurons evoked by DNA-damaging agents. J Cell Biol 143: 457–467. , , , , , .
- 2004. Three cyclin-dependent kinases preferentially phosphorylate different parts of the C-terminal domain of the large subunit of RNA polymerase II. Eur J Biochem 271: 1004–1014. , , , .
- 1997. Direct in vivo inhibition of the nuclear cell cycle cascade in experimental mesangial proliferative glomerulonephritis with roscovitine, a novel cyclin-dependent kinase antagonist. J Clin Invest 100: 2512–2520. , , , .
- 1996. Functional characterization of a mutant thyroid hormone receptor in Xenopus laevis. J Biol Chem 271: 33394–33403. , , , .
- 1994. Transcriptional repression of Xenopus TR beta gene is mediated by a thyroid hormone response element located near the start site. J Biol Chem 269: 24699–24705. , , .
- 1999. Cyclin C/CDK8 and cyclin H/CDK7/p36 are biochemically distinct CTD kinases. Oncogene 18: 1093–1102. , , .
- 2001. Coregulator codes of transcriptional regulation by nuclear receptors. J Biol Chem 276: 36865–36868. , .
- 2000. Dual functions of thyroid hormone receptors during Xenopus development. Comp Biochem Physiol Part B 126: 199–211. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Complexities in the development of cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor drugs. Trends Mol Med 8: S32–S37. .
- 2000. Roscovitine, a specific inhibitor of cellular cyclin-dependent kinases, inhibits herpes simplex virus DNA synthesis in the presence of viral early proteins. J Virol 74: 2107–2120. , , .
- 2000. Preclinical and clinical development of cyclin-dependent kinase modulators. J Natl Cancer Inst 92: 376–387. , .
- 2000. Amphibian metamorphosis: from morphology to molecular biology. New York: Wiley-Liss. .
- 1994. Premature p34cdc2 activation required for apoptosis. Science 263: 1143–1145. , , , , , .
- 2007. Decreased cyclin dependent kinase activity promotes thyroid hormone-dependent tail regression in Rana catesbeiana. Cell Tissue Res 328: 281–289. , .
- 1983. An optimized freeze-squeeze method for the recovery of DNA fragments from agarose gels. Anal Biochem 132: 14–19. , .
- 1946. Stages in the normal development of Rana pipiens larvae. Anat Rec 94: 7–24. , .
- 1997. Tissue-specific stabilization of the thyroid hormone beta1 nuclear receptor by phosphorylation. J Biol Chem 272: 4129–4134. , , , .
- 1998. Phosphorylation of thyroid hormone receptors by protein kinase A regulates DNA recognition by specific inhibition of receptor monomer binding. J Biol Chem 273: 10926–10932. , .
- 2001. Detection of environmental endocrine-disruptor effects on gene expression in live Rana catesbeiana tadpoles using a tail fin biopsy technique. Environ Toxicol Chem 20: 2704–2708. , .
- 2002. Distinctive gene profiles occur at key points during natural metamorphosis in the Xenopus laevis tadpole tail. Dev Dyn 225: 457–468. , , , .
- 2006. Use of heterologous cDNA arrays and organ culture in the detection of thyroid hormone-dependent responses in a sentinel frog, Rana catesbeiana. Comp Biochem Physio D 1: 187–199. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Expression of novel ING variants is regulated by thyroid hormone in the Xenopus laevis tadpole. J Biol Chem 276: 47013–47020. , , , , , .
- 1993. Thyroid hormone-induced gene expression program for amphibian tail resorption. J Biol Chem 268: 16270–16278. , .
- 2001. Inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 transcription by chemical cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors. J Virol 75: 7266–7279. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Alteration of the phosphorylation state of p34cdc2 kinase by the flavone L86–8275 in breast carcinoma cells. Correlation with decreased H1 kinase activity. Biochem Pharmacol 46: 1831–1840. , , , , , .
- 1999. Inhibition of DNA synthesis in human gliomas by roscovitine. Neuroreport 10: 2563–2567. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Requirement of p34cdc2 kinase for apoptosis mediated by the Fas/APO-1 receptor and interleukin 1beta-converting enzyme-related proteases. Cancer Res 56: 4551–4555. , , , .
- 1990. Xenopus laevis alpha and beta thyroid hormone receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87: 7090–7094. , , .
- 2001. Physiological and molecular basis of thyroid hormone action. Physiol Rev 81: 1097–1142. .
- 2006. Thyroid hormones and 3,5-diiodothyropropionic acid: new keys for new locks. Endocrinology 147: 1598–1601. .
- 2000. The mechanism of action of thyroid hormones. Annu Rev Physiol 62: 439–466. , .